Need advice on wick issues!

Hi all! 

I have been testing my candles lately and an issue is starting to make me question my choice of wick. I use GB 464 and I am currently using a CD wick in an 8 oz straight sided jar (no taper) that measures 2.5" diameter.  The wick provides a great hot throw but as is reaches the bottom 1/3 of the jar, the flame dances more (not sure how much is too much) and the jar is pretty hot.  It is not so hot I can't touch it, but it does get hot underneath.  Is that typical or should I wick down? The jar reaches a full mp in an hour, which is quick, right? Maybe I am expecting too much scent to soon.  I have tried the next smaller wick and it doesn't get as hot, but the throw isn't as evident.  I obviously don't want to make a dangerous candle, but I want to be able to smell it as well.  I am about to lose my mind, as I am sure you all can relate to.  I feel like I am on the right track, but maybe I am just getting hung up on every little detail. Can anyone provide me with some insight?  TIA!! 

I would most definetly wick down to see what happens - if it's not enough wick then retest the one your using now

You may want to try that same wick in a CDN- I find they burn cooler and provide the perfect medium in soy

The dancing at the bottom IMO is typical- I drive myself nuts over it in the past but If it's burning even and not too hot I wouldn't fret- I think it has to do with less oxygen at the end of the jar/burn- now I did put one of those metal covers over the jar that has holes in it- I think yank sells them and the flame stands still.... But I don't use these all the time I just wanted to see if it made a difference

Thanks so much for your reply, Moonshine! I will give the CDN's a try. That might be just the answer I'm searching for! I've tried every other wick, why not add another to the mix! lol!!  Do you think that reaching a full melt pool within and hour for a 2.5" jar is too quick?  The mp depth is only about 1/4", which I'm good with.  It just gets there fast.  

Thanks again!  

Guest OldGlory

I use a jar very similar to your description - same width, straight sides although the neck where the lid twists on and off is a bit narrower. I use a different wax in it than you do and the FMP does not happen in 1 hour. My first thought is that your wick is too big and going a bit smaller will slow down the process a bit, and make your candle safer and last longer.

The goal is to make a safe, great smelling candle, and testing is the only way to find out what the right combination is for you. It might not be 1" per hour. You'll know it when you've found it.

Also, if you are going to try new wicks, you might consider the Premier series. They have tons of sizes. My guess in that jar is between and 760 and 775, but depending on your FO and dyes I could be a bit off.

What CD size are you using? With an average FO you might not want more than CD 8 in that tumbler.

Unfortunately, scent throw doesn't justify using a wick that's too big. Sometimes bigger sizes don't even throw better, because wicks eat fragrance. You may notice the best scent throw often occurs for a little while after you blow the candle out.

CD and CDN are physically identical but are treated to perform well in different types of wax. The one that burns cooler may not be burning as well. I poured the same wax and fragrance into 3 different tumblers recently. I greatly enjoyed burning tumblers A and B just for my own use. The two tumbler C candles I poured are a disappointment and will be recycled after burning only halfway down. I accidentally used CDN wick assemblies instead of CD and they just don't have the enjoyable burn qualities of the others. They do burn cooler, but the flames are less consistent from burn to burn or when left lit for a while. They mushroom faster and don't self-trim as well.

The reason is that the chemical treatment of CDN is generally too strong for simple vegetable oil candle wax like soy. The manufacturer recommends CD for that. They recommend CDN for waxes with more than 25% acids, which would be more like palm waxes or paraffin with a lot of stearic added to it. It's possible that CDN could work better with certain FOs and/or dyes, but usually not.

• Like 1

Thank you for such wonderful suggestions and input, old glory and topofmurrayhill. I am currently using a CD10 with no dye just FO.  Topofmurrayhil, I am glad you mentioned the CD8.  I have tried the CD8, which I feel might end up being a winner, but I guess just need more testing. And unfortunately, I think that some scents I love and want to work, are just weaker to begin with and I just need to let go of them.  I know the CD 8 doesn't dance around as much at the bottom of the jar and there is less (if any) mushrooming.  I think I just felt that the scent throw wasn't as strong and was getting hung up on that issue.  Thank you all again. You are all a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate your willingness to share some of it! :)

• 5 months later...

Hey everyone I am also trying to figure out which Wicks work well with my candles. I am using 464 golden brands and eco series wicks. I am using 2.5 to 3 mason jars and hex. The eco 10 seems to burn fast and has a dancing flame. There is decent fragrance thrown but the jar tends to get pretty hot. I have tested a eco 8 and it has a much slower burn and pretty much even across however some of the wax will still adhere to the sides. Any suggestions on different Wicks which may work? Thanks