Using amber as a fragrance

I know amber is a resin and I've seen it in small rock crystal form but not in a liquid. Does a liquid amber exist? I would love to incorporate some amber notes in EO blends but not sure how to go about it. What do perfumists do? How do they get it into FOs, perfumes, etc.?

The amber we think of as amber isn't really a thing, per se - well not amber fragrance.  It's fantasy (made up then compounded) and then crystallized for some reason.

True amber extract does exist and it doesn't smell like that, sadly.  

What we think of as amber is typically a blend of labdanum, vanilla, patch, some carmelized notes and some other stuff.

• Like 1

I have a couple ounces of amber resin I've had for a few years.  I only make soap from it and infuse a piece in my olive oil.  It is such a heavenly scent and it lingers on my skin and I find myself sniffing my arms all day long LOL!!

Sweetcakes has a good amber FO I use for candles, but it's a bear to wick.

• Like 1

This will be for CP soap blends so I might check out Sweetcakes.

ChrisR- So you put the amber resin chunks in your olive oil to get the 'amber' fragrance? Can you smell it in a finished soap?

The finished soap is very strong & heavenly smelling with the infused oil.

Care Bear my resin is from Eden Botanicals and probably 10+  years old.  I'm glad I got several ounces at that time, especially since you can't find it anymore.  I won't sell this soap and hoard it all for my family, cause when it's gone I can't get anymore and I will be very sad!! 

• 2 weeks later...

You can also shave off pieces into your EOs. It will dissolve. I happen to love what I have of the resin I have and it will kill me when it's gone because it's a key component to a scent we make. I wish I could find a dupe for the resin in FO form. 

You can also shave off pieces into your EOs. It will dissolve. I happen to love what I have of the resin I have and it will kill me when it's gone because it's a key component to a scent we make. I wish I could find a dupe for the resin in FO form.

Could you dupe what you have infused into the finished blend?

Could you dupe what you have infused into the finished blend?

That's a thought, but first would be where and I'm a little piggy on this blend because I don't want it shared. 

As for getting something that matches the resin, so far I haven't found a replacement. Now I might be able to try it with a different amber and see what it does, but I really need the body of that resin. 

• 3 weeks later...