Is this just shrinkage?

Hello, you wonderful people. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this.

This is the way all my container candles turn out. I use straight paraffin wax, CF container fill from Candlewic. I always use 6% fo, 4 to 5 drops of dye (if any at all), always the same wax. It happens when I use 0.5% vybar 260 and when I don't, when I use 0.3% UV inhibitor and when I don't. It happens in my tins and in jelly jars. I have tried pouring at different temps...from 180 to 157, and it still happens.

Am I just being too picky? Personally, I prefer tops that are flat across, not dipped the way mine seem to be doing. It's almost like the wax crawled up the wicks, lol. So is this shrinkage? For some reason I didn't think containers needed second pours, but is it unheard of? Is it maybe just this particular wax or just the nature of paraffin? Should I start taking a heat gun to them or am I just being overly critical?

Thanks to anyone willing to offer a little advice.

post-14873-0-80858700-1429509883_thumb.j

post-14873-0-61972400-1429509884_thumb.j

post-14873-0-30616800-1429509885_thumb.j

• Like 1

Cool, those look really nice. Container waxes aren't all one-pour, and that one is actually just a plain straight paraffin scale wax, so you can't expect miracles. The shrinkage isn't bad at all, as paraffin goes, but do two pours and it will look terrific. The first one not as high as you've been pouring. After it has shrunk, a second hot pour a little higher than the clingy wax on the wick and sides. Then post another pic. :-) I've worked with this wax for blending but hardly ever see it being used as a straight container wax, so this is fun to check out.

ETA, the ones in the tins don't even look like they need a second pour, but maybe the pics aren't showing it.

Edited by topofmurrayhill
  • Like 1

I agree with Top. Some waxes require a repour. Its a simple fix really, just top off the candle with enough heated wax to level the top off.

The tins look great. I would only do the repour on the jar although it doesn't really need it. It would only be for aesthetic purposes. Also, you might find that smaller jars may not require a repour while larger jars do.

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you, Toppfmurrayhill and Candybee. I agree that it wasn't as pronounced in the tins, but if I can do away with it altogether than that's the way I'll go, lol. I'll try another batch and do a second pour to see how they turn out and will definitely post pics. Thanks again!

Topofmurrayhill...I chose that wax because I am just beginning in this craft and wanted to learn how just straight paraffin worked, both without and with additives, before I move on to blended waxes or other types of wax. I'm weird that way, I guess, lol. I bought straight paraffin for both containers and pillars from Candlewic and from Peak. Will be testing the Peak wax once I'm done with the Candlewic.

Thanks, Becky. Lol...I know..I was hoping to get out of doing repouring as well and even going the extra step of using the heat gun, but oh well. I'll try your suggestion of pouring even lower and see what happens.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Phoenix, I have nothing to add information-wise, just wanted to say that you're off to a great start. Those candles are so pretty!

Topofmurrayhill...I chose that wax because I am just beginning in this craft and wanted to learn how just straight paraffin worked, both without and with additives, before I move on to blended waxes or other types of wax. I'm weird that way, I guess, lol. I bought straight paraffin for both containers and pillars from Candlewic and from Peak. Will be testing the Peak wax once I'm done with the Candlewic.

What you got from Candlewic is a type of plain paraffin called scale wax. It's got a special composition that makes it somewhat more plaible than other straight paraffins, which are harder and more brittle. That makes it behave decently in a container. If you used a more typical paraffin with about the same melt point, the center would shrink like halfway down into the container.

Which one did you order from Peak? They don't actually have a plain paraffin wax for containers (Candlewic is old-school that way), so from Peak you'll be getting a special container blend that should be more of a one-pour for you.

What you got from Candlewic is a type of plain paraffin called scale wax. It's got a special composition that makes it somewhat more plaible than other straight paraffins, which are harder and more brittle. That makes it behave decently in a container. If you used a more typical paraffin with about the same melt point, the center would shrink like halfway down into the container.

Which one did you order from Peak? They don't actually have a plain paraffin wax for containers (Candlewic is old-school that way), so from Peak you'll be getting a special container blend that should be more of a one-pour for you.

From Peak, I ordered IGI 1343A for pillars and IGI 2281 for containers. The label on the 2281 says it's a straight paraffin and that vybar and/or stearin can be added, but then again it also says it has additives for sidewall adhesion. So does that make it a straight paraffin or not, lol? Oh well. My impression was that straight paraffin was just that...paraffin with no other waxes or additives like vybar mixed in so that I could control when additives get added and how much. I didn't realize there were adhesion additives as well. I should do more research on that so I understand it better.

Here's what I poured today. Did a second pour and tried out my heat gun for the first time to smooth the tops. Definitely better than before. I'll get the hang of it eventually, lol.

post-14873-0-04892000-1429660976_thumb.j

post-14873-0-74795700-1429660976_thumb.j

• Like 1

From Peak, I ordered IGI 1343A for pillars and IGI 2281 for containers. The label on the 2281 says it's a straight paraffin and that vybar and/or stearin can be added, but then again it also says it has additives for sidewall adhesion. So does that make it a straight paraffin or not, lol? 

2281 is a blended paraffin - straight paraffin as in no other WAX is added (such as soy or palm, or even another paraffin), but that additives have been blended in.

1343A is a straight paraffin - no additives - very versatile and a nice wax to work with. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Again, very pretty smooth candles. I really admire your approach - one wax, work with it, get to know it, try another. You will learn so much!

1343 is such a fun wax. I don't know if you have seen the thread about my pillar journey but I learned a lot about playing with surface temperatures (surface being the mold) and just how much you can change the appearance of candles this way.

Hope you are having a lot of fun!

Thanks, Jcandleattic, for clearing that up. I was thrown by the fact the label said it was a straight paraffin, so now I know to look more carefully at all the description to be certain of what I'm buying.

I am learning so much, OldGlory! I feel a bit overwhelmed at times...but it's a good feeling. I have seen your posts on your pillars, as I have devoured so much of the info on this forum. In fact, the one you started called "Hints for Pillars" is marked in my favorites. There is so much good info in that thread on rustics! I'm not brave enough to try rustics right now. Haven't even tried to do different colors in one candle yet. I'm still trying to understand how additives and everything work when making a pillar. Jcandleattic helped me out when I was getting little pinholes in the tops, advising that I was pouring too hot. I've made pillars with a nice single shade of color and no mottle. Took out the vybar and added just a bit of stearin once and got an inconsistently mottled pillar, which was cool because it taught me more about what the additives do.

Still trying to shush the perfectionist in me and get over my fear of just playing with the wax and fragrances and colors instead of feeling I need to produce perfection from the get go, lol. But I am definitely having fun! What an amazing craft!

From Peak, I ordered IGI 1343A for pillars and IGI 2281 for containers. The label on the 2281 says it's a straight paraffin and that vybar and/or stearin can be added, but then again it also says it has additives for sidewall adhesion. So does that make it a straight paraffin or not, lol? Oh well. My impression was that straight paraffin was just that...paraffin with no other waxes or additives like vybar mixed in so that I could control when additives get added and how much. I didn't realize there were adhesion additives as well. I should do more research on that so I understand it better.

Here's what I poured today. Did a second pour and tried out my heat gun for the first time to smooth the tops. Definitely better than before. I'll get the hang of it eventually, lol.

Cool, I didn't realize they had 2281! Always good to know places to get it. It's pretty much the same thing that you got from Candlewic and you can use it the same way. Plain paraffin scale wax, same melt point.

New ones are looking nice and flat.

Edited by topofmurrayhill
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much, everyone, for your continued encouragement. I am having such a good time with this. Every second I can steal, I am sneaking out to my work area to make something. Testing is tough and I'm learning more and more how the tiniest little difference can throw off all the results, lol, but it's still awesome.

I have been trying the heat gun on top, but I found I prefer the final result I get with a second pour instead of the heat gun. After moving from the kitchen into my husband's man cave, I have been sort of thrown back to the drawing board on testing because the environment is so different, but that's part of the fun I guess.

Thanks again to all of you. You guys are all so inspiring to me. I am part of a few candle-making groups and forums, but I always come back to this one because I want my candles to be as terrific and as top notch as I have seen you all produce!