What are your fav EOs?

Was just wondering what EOs are favorites for others to work with.

Right now I think lavender, patchouli, allspice, lime, and geranium are my favorites. I just wish cedar and orange stuck in CP better.

But I also love a good herbal mint blend like rosemary mint or eucalyptus mint. I love blending spearmint and peppermint together for a rounded mint blend. I saw wintergreen at ED so I think next time I buy lye I should add some wintergreen to my order!

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I love to diffuse orange and other citrus oils for personal use in the home. It's as good as peeling an orange without the pith under your fingernails.

Patchouli is my very favorite EO and sometimes before I go to bed I will take one drop of my aged patchouli, mix it with a bit of lotion, and rub it on my neck so I can smell it all night long (I wake up many times during the night- arthritis). I love it in soap too. I will also wear one drop as a fragrance when I'm not going to be enclosed in a small space all day. Lots of people don't like patchouli.

In soap I love lavandin as well as sweet birch. A friend who is a masseuse enlightened me about sweet birch. I remember taking my first batch to the store to sell and it sold out faster than anything else. To my nose it's a lot like Wintergreen.

Rose and jasmine are heavenly, and I'm glad I bought them once to try, but the prices are prohibitive.

I love eo so tough to pick a fav.  I probably have 50 in my house that I either use on my skin or diffuse.   I found that looking at the different suppliers synergies gave me lots of ideas when I was making b&b, they list

all the eo's used but don't give you % so you do have to experiment.

So many blends, so little time!

• Like 1

My favorite EO is Litsea Cubeba mixed with almost anything! Candybee if you are planning to use Wintergreen in soap take a look at the description on Wikipedia regarding toxicity. I still know people that use it in soap, and soap is a wash off product, but the information is important to know.

I love eo so tough to pick a fav.  I probably have 50 in my house that I either use on my skin or diffuse.   I found that looking at the different suppliers synergies gave me lots of ideas when I was making b&b, they list

all the eo's used but don't give you % so you do have to experiment.

So many blends, so little time!

Who is synergies? Or are you talking in general terms? I know many give suggestions which oils blend well with a particular EO. Is that what you mean?

Guest OldGlory

Synergies are blends of EOs. There are lots of books on the subject too. (I know, I'm old school and still like books, lol)

Rosewood

myrhh

Frankincense

Juniper

Patchouli (should rank first lol)

Blood orange

Pink grapefruit

Ylang

That real expensive jasmine (sambac) ... but I've only whiffed it in wax, which was cheaper than getting the real thing ... then again never had the real thing. sigh. 

Palma rosa

Basil

Lemongrass

Tangerine

I'm sure there are far many others :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Lately my favorite combo is lemongrass and lime. So fresh, clean, and citrusy. I love showering with it. Until I discovered pink grapefruit! Yowzer! I made some salt bars with Pink Himalayan salt with the pink grapefruit mixed with EBB's Sea Island Grapefruit. I just love these soaps!

Lately my favorite combo is lemongrass and lime. So fresh, clean, and citrusy. I love showering with it. Until I discovered pink grapefruit! Yowzer! I made some salt bars with Pink Himalayan salt with the pink grapefruit mixed with EBB's Sea Island Grapefruit. I just love these soaps!

I just got a new SMR shipment that includes an assortment of citrus EOs. There's lemon and orange, tangerine, grapefruit and bergamot. I've already got the lime and lemongrass, so I'll try the mix.

I was wondering, with the citruses that are pretty cheap, how practical is it to use approximately a crapload as fade-insurance? At least with the ones that aren't phototoxic.

Their 5x orange just fades no matter how much you use. So far the only orange EO I have used that has any staying power is the 10x orange I got from the Chemistry Store. BB has the 10x orange too.

For EOs like that I combine the FO and some of the EO together and that usually does the job. The EO I use as a 'booster' to the FO which makes the scent more natural and stronger smelling. Eg.; the Sea Island Graperfruit FO + Pink Grapefruit EO. By using both I can also minimize the % of EO while still getting that great scent.

Haven't tried it with the orange yet. But with the 10x orange I don't have to.

The lime and lemongrass have good staying power and don't morph on you. Same with the pink grapefruit.

I have some tangerine but the same problem with that as the orange. Smells great for a while but fades to nothing before the soap is even finished curing.

So far my favorite citrus EOs are: Lime, Lemongrass, Litsea Cubeba, and Pink Grapefruit. I consider Bergamot a crossover floral/citrus but its still lovely.

BTW-- the Litsea works pretty good as an anchor for your other citruses plus it enhances their scent with a 'crisp' or 'sharpness' to the citrus.

What's the size/amount of the jasmine you're seeing for $40? Because jasmine requires so much to distill it down to EO form, the price is astronomical ... I can't imagine a $40 tag is pure jasmine. Now, I've been told that it's more economical to get it in the wax form that CG offers. I've not seen it elsewhere, but maybe it's out there. 

ED $46.70 for 4oz (3% solution in jojoba oil)

FNWL $326.60 for 1oz

I think I answered my own question. I forgot the cheap one was diluted. I just remembered the huge price swings. I've noticed the same with ginger EO. Big price swings from one supplier to another.