EOs have arrived

Thanks Candybee!

I have been re- motivated to find a blend of EO To cure my horses scratches- nothing has worked so far and we are goinf on te second year and they are looking very ugly and very painful for him

I have tried everything - even a holistic vet had him on crystals of different sorts and licorice root and they just won't go away

It's auto immune and start off looking like tree branches growing off the heel of the foot above the hoof- they pus and scab and then start all over

My research and potions begin this weekend...I will take pictures and see what happens - been so long since I have done this I am excited!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now I know what bourbon geranium smells like. I don't know when I'll stop being reminded. A little of it oozed in transit, so it was on the packaging, which is still in the house. Some also got on my hands when I examined the bottle to see what was up. I've been through the shower since then and still it lingers. Good thing it's a nice fragrance. I'm reverse-skunked.  :)

• Like 2

Do you mind sharing where you got it from? I'm not familiar with it. I've been using rose geranium.

I got it at MMS because they had something else I needed, but our friends at Camden carry two rose geranium EOs, one of them being the bourbon geranium. The plant species is the same. I think it's just a matter of where it's grown. I read something about Reunion Island.

Oh yeah-- eucalyptus, rosemary, peppermint, spearmint. Thats my herbal bliss blend. It you get spearmint use it sparingly. It smells wonderful but in soap ends up smelling like toothpaste. So I go with 10% of spearmint in that blend.

Also, rosemary and mint is a great blend. Or, lavender, rosemary, and mint. I tend to blend both peppermint and spearmint together when I use mint.

I was experimenting in that vein and ended up with this:

8 eucalyptus, 3 rosemary, 1 peppermint, 1 spearmint, 2 lavender, 2 cedar

It has a lot going on but those fragrances seem to harmonize pretty automatically. I wish I had it on hand to smell as I'm writing this, but I liked it at the workshop.

I also did a similar thing without the mint. I put a star next to it, so I guess this seemed good too:

2 eucalyptus, 2 rosemary, 1 lavender, 2 cedar

• Like 1

I have a tendency to avoid using cedar in my blends. As much as I love it unfortunately it fades. At least the cedar from SMR fades to nothing over time.

Have you tried just eucalyptus and peppermint? Another simple yet elegant blend at 1:1.

I was reviewing my herbal bliss and forgot I had revised it from last year and now use lavender, rosemary, anise, peppermint, and spearmint. Last year I was using eucalyptus, rosemary, lavender, peppermint, and spearmint.

Have you tried just eucalyptus and peppermint? Another simple yet elegant blend at 1:1.

Actually I did and it was nice. Then someone mentioned rosemary and I just kept going. I'll check it out again.

I'm guessing 1:1 smells like peppermint with a twist of eucalyptus? My peppermint seems to pretty much take charge when it's more than a small fraction of the blend.

Edited by topofmurrayhill