Ginger
Lavender 40/42
Lemongrass
Lime
Litsea cubeba
Peppermint
Rosewood
Ylang Ylang III

It's only small sizes for blending experiments and to make some test soap. I figured I'd dip toothpicks and pop them into a small amber vial for the blending. To make testers economically, I use a little custom 2-bar mold, a good scale, and a convection oven to gel. Maybe I'll start by trying to concoct a nice lavender-based fragrance. That doesn't sound too hard.  :o
  • Like 1

What kinds are there? There was just the species name, the plant part (root), steam distilled from China. I notice the one at Bulk Apothecary says CO2 extracted, but that's about all I've seen about different types at this point.

There is fresh root or dried root essential oils. Fresh, to me is greener, dried is earthier.

• Like 1

There is fresh root or dried root essential oils. Fresh, to me is greener, dried is earthier.

Ah, thank you. Camden wasn't specific about that. I notice that Bulk Apothecary isn't either, but theirs is much more expensive than what I got.

I was thinking maybe this EO would be useful as part of something like a warm spices blend. In the absence of any knowledge or experience, that seemed reasonable.  :)

• Like 1

I love Camden Grey and Soapmakingresource for EOs. I get the majority of my EOs from them. They make buying them more affordable too.

I found that Eden Botanicals and Essential Depot also carry a lot of EOs with specifics about their origin, distillation, and description. But they can be pricey. However, they usually have that one oil or two you can't find anywhere else.

BTW-- you should try some eucalyptus and geranium EOs. Peppermint and Eucalyptus together are fabulous in soap. Geranium beats any rose scent I have found. I love adding it with my fav rose FO to make it pop.

Also, if you sign up for SMR's newsletter he periodically sends EO recipes out. He had some really good ones on lime last summer.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Also, if you sign up for SMR's newsletter he periodically sends EO recipes out. He had some really good ones on lime last summer.

All signed up! I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting the Eucalyptus in the first place. I've been noticing the eucalyptus mint soaps from the folks who scent with EOs.

SMR has it for real cheap. The one I keep forgetting to buy is the sweet basil. I want clary sage but he has been out for a long time. He has the dalmation sage but I am sort of afraid to use it. I use it sparingly in soap and cut it with other oils so its diluted.

SMR's eucalyptus is the globulus kind. I think its the cheapest or the most common. But its the one I love to use most in my soap. I had to find the eucalyptus radiata at Camden Grey? I think. Thats the one I am using for a special recipe soap.

• Like 1

SMR has it for real cheap. The one I keep forgetting to buy is the sweet basil. I want clary sage but he has been out for a long time. He has the dalmation sage but I am sort of afraid to use it. I use it sparingly in soap and cut it with other oils so its diluted.

SMR's eucalyptus is the globulus kind. I think its the cheapest or the most common. But its the one I love to use most in my soap. I had to find the eucalyptus radiata at Camden Grey? I think. Thats the one I am using for a special recipe soap.

Is there anything in particular you want to do with the sweet basil? I was eyeing that one. It should be an interesting scent. Basil in real life is herbal with usually a distinct anise note, more or less depending on the variety. It's especially sharp in thai basil.

I stopped into the workshop this evening to do some cleaning. Before I left, I dipped toothpicks and put 2 eucalyptus and 1 peppermint in a small bottle. Closed it up and took it with me. Opened it when I got home and...nice! I could get into this.  :) I kind of expected that one would be quick gratification. Next time I'll double up on the eucalyptus and mint, then see if I can find one more note to throw in to make it interesting.

• Like 1

Oh yeah-- eucalyptus, rosemary, peppermint, spearmint. Thats my herbal bliss blend. It you get spearmint use it sparingly. It smells wonderful but in soap ends up smelling like toothpaste. So I go with 10% of spearmint in that blend.

Also, rosemary and mint is a great blend. Or, lavender, rosemary, and mint. I tend to blend both peppermint and spearmint together when I use mint.

Anyway, I have an herbal lavender blend I do with lavender 40/42, rosemary, and sage. Its an amazingly beautiful herbal floral blend. But I want to play with it a bit and either switch out sage for sweet basil or keep it as is and add in the basil. Another reason is I'm using the dalmation sage and I would rather be using clary sage. Anyway, those 2 (sweet basil and clary sage) are on my evergrowing list of new oils to get.

Since we are talking about eucalyptus, the famous Thieves blend has eucalyptus in it. I have a copy of the blend somewhere. I'll look it up if you or anyone is interested. I have smelled the Young Living oils version and that's when I fell in love with Thieves. Its an awesome spicy, herbal blend.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Geranium is a must....its my favorite EO and blends so nicely with so many others

Lavender- lemongrass and peppermint makes a unique blend and throw some geranium in there and it's even better- good insect repellent- I use a similar blend with sesame oil to swab the inside of my horses ears to keep those nasty bugs that latch on and cause painful scabs away- one application a week works and it has healed the scabs entirelyn on friends horses

Lavender and Ylang Ylang with geranium is beautiful as well

Eucalyptus with either blend is also good....eucalyptus- lavender and geranium are my 3 favs!

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

I love it too! I have a rose geranium soap I use geranium in. It smells so beautiful. I want to learn to mix geranium into more blends. Ive been thinking of mixing it with lavender. I also found an insect repellent recipe with geranium in the blend that I haven't tried yet.

• Like 1

In our horse showing days at the Big meets I would offer the horses going into the ring geranium to sniff - it was so cool because all the scaredy cat horses would flare their nostrils and breathe so deep and keep at it until they had their fill and the confident trouble makers turned their noses to it....they apparently had enough confidence in themselves to not need it- a lot of the riders would breathe it also....everyone was looking for me and my potions before going in the ring- I loved those days and it always amazed me horses intuition of what they felt they needed and breathed and turned away what they didn't need

We had one with a bad case of heaves at the state show and I filled a bucket with hot water and put a couple drops of eucalyptus in it and that horse wouldnt take his face out of it- I was worried he was going to drink it- helped him tremendously to her through his last class

I miss working with EO- haven't done much other than the ear potion for the horses in years....I just may have to take it up again

Edited by moonshine

You will be glad to get it when you do. It smells wonderful.

Not too long ago SMR was giving away a 4oz bottle of Premium Lavender EO with your purchase. Don't remember how much the minimum was but I remember it was pretty low like $50? maybe. Anyway, I got mine. I actually like the 40/42 better and its cheaper but it sure is nice to have some extra lavender.

You also have to try his Frankincense. OMG it smells so good in soap. It also makes a good blender with other EOs.

I think next I want to try some coffee EO and I just noticed he had some roman chamomile. I don't remember that being there. Or maybe because of the price I always moved on. LOL

• Like 1

You also have to try his Frankincense. OMG it smells so good in soap. It also makes a good blender with other EOs.

Definitely interested in the frankincense. Have you noticed that it's a common base note in masculine fragrances? Latest example, I bought an Axe spray fragrance thinking it was deodorant because they were right next to each other. I gave it a try and noticed that after the overall scent dissipates, I can catch whiffs of frankincense indefinitely.

I know that frankencense does tend to smell like a men's cologne component. I recently had an FO gifted to me that was Frankencense and Safron. I think it was from MW before they closed down. Anyway, I made soap with it over the holidays and it smelled awesome and stuck like glue. Sure wish I could make that combo again or at least find some safron FO which isn't likely.

• Like 1

Vetiver is another I would like to try but I have been 'warned' it smells awful OOB. Well I think some EOs like rosemary, black pepper, bay oil, and eucalyptus smell pretty yuck OOB but blended just right with other EOs and put in soap they can be wonderful.

BTW Moonshine I always love your stories about your horses!