LOOKING FOR GOOD ELECTRIC OIL DIFFUSER

Hi all - I am looking for a good electric oil diffuser.  I've seen many on amazon, but.....................I really don't know anything about them and have never used one.  I have some family members that cannot burn candles because of soot, and artificial fragrance, but essential oils should be ok?

I no nothing about this. 

Guest OldGlory

I would suggest reading up on essential oils first. There are lots of precautions with essential oils.

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe for everyone to use.

Lavender is usually pretty safe.

Try a light bulb style warmer. You can use the same type you use with tarts. All you are doing is warming it enough to burn off the EO , and many of the essential oils will be quick to burn off.

You would half fill the bowl/reservoir with tap water and then wait for the water to heat up. When the water is hot, put a few drops of the essential oil in the hot water. I would not suggest a metal warmer, but ceramic should be ok.

In the same vein, you would be able to put a few drops of a fragrance oil in the water and get a scent throw like that.

Actually, lavender is not safe for certain individuals and especially not for use by pregnant women. I am not sure about nursing women but I would not even think about recommending it to one.

OG is right, essential oils need to be studied for safe use in any application. Plus each application type has its % rates for different applications so you need to know these too. If you are going to sell oils for a diffuser you should also purchase the oils only from a reliable source that also discloses origin, purity, production, certification, IFRA info, etc.

its much better, cheaper, and safer to use FOs especially if you are going to start selling them to the general public. Also, the oils typically need to be diluted with a carrier oil or DPG.

Guest OldGlory

As with all things, there are countless resources for information on essential oils. My resources suggest that Lavender is generally safe for use in a diffuser. There are many more rules to follow when you use essential oils in soap or lotions or anything else that will either come into brief contact with the skin or be left on the skin.

My information comes from two sources:

Essential Oils, A Basic Guide, by Julia Lawless, first published in 2001, and

A Lifetime Guide to Healing with Essential Oils by Valerie Genari Cooksley, copyright 1996.

Thanks Old Glory & Candybee.

Oh, no way do I plan on getting into selling or even USING for myself anything like this - my boyfriend's fathers' wife brought it up because she can't use scented candles, glade or any other plug-in type things, air freshner sprays etc. because he his highly sensitive to them with sinuses, allergies or what not. She gives me all the scented candles people give her as gifts.  It bugs her because they have cats. She 'heard' from someone about an infusser and she asked me about it, suppossed to be not irritating like fo's.  i said I would research it.

I did do some research about the infussers and essential oils - which I know really nothing about, except tea tree oil b&b products I have used. That is the extent of my knowledge, lol.  I did learn that a lot of the diffusers on the market have a lot of very unhappy customers, though.  And they are expensive, as are the EO's. 

Candybee: A lot of the mfgs. for the diffusers do warn not to be used by pregnant or nursing women.  This in itself is concern enough for even NON pregnant women I would think.

but NO, not doing anything other then asking about it to pass along info.  I'm too obsessed with the candle making, and my pesky job getting in the way of that, lol. 

Thanks again for the info.