cutting up a slab of wax

I have a big knife that I use for my soft wax. It looks very similar to this knife - https://www.etsy.com/listing/218749867/the-new-easy-out-minimax-24-standard-or?ref=market (It's for soap slabs, but works great with my wax too) 

I usually make my jar candles in 1-2lb increments, and I have gotten to where I can pretty much eyeball what will be a lb. (but yes, I do put it on the scale - rarely do I have to add or take any off the scale though)  

I can usually get 10.5 - 11 lbs with a bit left over out of each slab in my case. I usually cut up about 120lbs at a time so I have it - I wrap each lb in tinfoil to keep any dirt and dust off of it. 

MY hard slabs of paraffin get put in a plastic bag and then I put them at an angle, hold one side, the other on the concrete floor and just smack the middle.  pick up the pieces and repeat.  I smack them all until they fit in my pour pots and then the bag gets dumped into a plastic tub with a tight lid.

For my containers I use 6006, and that is easily cut with a paring knife into pieces to fit the pot. 

For hard slabs I break with a hammer into pieces. With the soft waxes I use a butcher knife and whack off a piece.

I also got some of those large sterlite containers to put a case of wax in them. So each time I open a new case of wax I place the slabs in the container to cut or whack off pieces so any stray slivers or lumps stay in the container. That way I can also seal the container to keep contaminants out.

Hammer and chisel.

My dog hides when I am breaking up hard paraffin wax.  :eek2:

I remember when I first moved into our house, our neighborhood has a high volume of police officers living in it. Step out my front door and I have 6 neighbors that are in the police force. Anyway the neighbor directly to our right is SWAT, and I used to take my slab (in the summer) out to the driveway and drop from about 4 feet up. Well, it gives a loud bang that echos. I did that once when Jim was home and in his full uni, and he came around the corner, stalking, hand on gun, screaming at me to get down. Scared the living shit out of me because I had obviously scared the crap out of him.

Needless to say I no longer do that.  *shudder*

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...