GW 464 vs IGI 6006 , the real difference?

Hello folks!  

Newbie here, and I can't thank you all enough for the incredible information I have been able to absorb off this board as a "silent lurker" over the past few months!  So THANK YOU! 

I have been working with IGI 6006 Para Soy Blend, and I have to say, I LOVE the wax, I love everything about it, from the texture, to the pour, to the smooth tops, to the no sinkholing, to the incredible adhesion and very little to no wet spots I get... the only thing is--I don't love the scent throw! 

I have experimented with many different FO's and quantities, and I always feel like the wax somehow distorts the scent, and the throw is never as strong as I would like.  I originally started using this wax, as it was the closest blend I found that "recreated" my own personal favorite candles made by Diptyque.  I think its spot on!  

Now, I am considering venturing into the world of pure soy, in hopes of simply getting a better scent throw both hot and cold, and to avoid that "scent distortion" as I feel the IGI 6006 gives me. 

So I have read so much about GB 464, and it seems that that blend offers the best scent throw possible in soy?  Many many people have the greatest things to say about it--while others seem to all agree, sink holes, bubbling and wet spots, can be an issue! 

So here is really my request, since I haven't been able to find it anywhere...  Can anyone offer a REAL DEAL COMPARISON between the two?  The good/bad/ugly.  Of course aside from the fact that one is Soy and one is a Parasoy blend... what will I like about one vs. the other, and what have you noticed in comparison between scent throw etc... 

Thank you all so much for being the experts, can't wait to hear from you! 

Guest OldGlory

Well, I will share my experience with both waxes. You may get other information too.

I love the fact that soy (464) is made from soy beans, I love the scent throw of 464., but hate the frosting. I love the quickness of melt to pour of 6006, the lack of frosting, but I hate the wet spots. That's it in a nutshell.

I use both waxes as my 2 primary waxes in my business.

I do love increasing the % of soy in 6006 to 50% to boost the fragrance throw a bit, but maintain the lack of frosting. You will get differing explanations as to what the %s are in 6006, but it doesn't really matter if you find a blend you like. When I blend, I use 35 oz 6006 and 15 oz 464.

Happy candlemaking :)

No wax is perfect or flawless. You just decide what you can live with and go for it.

Well, I will share my experience with both waxes. You may get other information too.

I love the fact that soy (464) is made from soy beans, I love the scent throw of 464., but hate the frosting. I love the quickness of melt to pour of 6006, the lack of frosting, but I hate the wet spots. That's it in a nutshell.

I do love increasing the % of soy in 6006 to 50% to boost the fragrance throw a bit, but maintain the lack of frosting. You will get differing explanations as to what the %s are in 6006, but it doesn't really matter if you find a blend you like. When I blend, I use 35 oz 6006 and 15 oz 464.

No wax is perfect or flawless. You just decide what you can live with and go for it.

Thank you so much! Let me ask you. When you blend are you blending primarily to decrease your wet spots are are you blending to help scent throw?

Guest OldGlory

Yes, lol. I am trying to diminish the frosting in soy, the wet spots in 6006, improve the fragrance throw of 6006. I have blended heavier with the 464 (more than a total of 50% soy) but the frosting showed up.

If you don't dye 464, you really don't need to worry about frosting. You don't see it. Or, you can pour soy only in frosted glass or tin so you don't see the frosting. Then you only see frosting on the top surface.

I use 6006 for my container candles and I love it.  I have dabbled with other container waxes but 6006 keeps winning for ease of use, ease of coloring and scent throw.  Like other waxes not every fragrance works, some knock the house down.  I add a little of my paraffin pillar wax blend (my own blend) to stiffen it up and pour into melts.  I have also mixed it with different percentages of 464 with good success.

In the end you have to try different percentages in a blend and decide which one suits YOU and what YOU are looking for in a finished candle.  Test, test.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

using the 464, i didn't wait until slushie, but did wait until it was like motor oil & didn't have any frosting - but i didn't use any color in the tins either.  when I got the hassle free, I asked the lady if I should wait to pour until slushie, like they recommend with the 464, even though i never waited for the 464 to get slushie, and she said with the hassle free, which is a paraffin/soy blend, NOT to wait until slushie - pour between 160-170, otherwise it WILL get frosting.  I didn't get any frosting with either wax i made in the tins, I got a bit of wet spot on one side in one of the glass candles with the 464 (the pic I posted on this forum)  and today I used the hassle free in glass & poured at about 165 that are cooling now. I used color in all 6 of the glass containers - one Reddig-glo color chip each. 2 using 464, 4 using hassle-free wax.  I will let all know what the results are.  I'm new at this, so I'm going by what I've read others are doing, but with the hassle-free wax, I'm going by what the lady at candles & supplies said because I've havent found much about others using the hassle-free.  I used Heinz CD 12 wicks with all of my candles, except for the first 3 I made with 464 - I used Eco 12 wicks and they didn't work - no hot scent at all.

Also, for the candles I made today I didn't wait for all of the wax to melt completely before adding the color chip - I read on here somewhere that it wasn't really necessary to wait for the wax to fully melt, so I didn't - there were still some small chunks in it when I added the color. I like this way better, because I always felt like once the wax was heated to the proper temp, it was a 'mad dash' to add the color chip, wait for it to melt, then add the FO, lol. then stir like crazy before it got too cool for the FO.

So ultimately I did purchase some 464. Like I mentioned I don't color my candles so I am not worried about frosting. I did howver get some rough tops and sinkholes in a few I poured (not all). I poured at 135° I am letting everything cure right now but I think I am going to get a better throw than I did on 6006 based on one candle I did burn.

I also poured a few last night that I blended 25% 6006 and 75% 464 which I guess would be roughly 12% paraffin 88% soy when all is said and done—they seem to be really beautiful as they harden without any rough tops or sinkholes. I also loaded that with about 15% FO. I had anticipated them to harden horrible as I totally overdid it with the FO capacity but it seems to be fine!

We shall see how it goes when everything is cured!

That's great!! I didn't get any hot throw with my first candle i burned using the 464 w/ the Eco 12 and no color.  I still have 2 curing though with that wick, so I hope they get good hot scent. 

I really love my new candle making hobby and really want my candles to smell, I don't want give up this hobby.

I used the soy 464 wax with 1 oz. per lb,  Lavender from Candles Science. I've used other scents from there but I'm doing  2 week cure now, so I will wait before I burn the other 2 with eco 12 wicks.  I also got some of the hassle-free wax and used that as well, but used the CD 12 wicks with that and the remaining 464 wax, with 1 oz. per lb. of FO. I used the following fragrances, all from Candle Science: Carribean Teakwood, Egyptian Amber, Dragon's Blood, Nag Champa, Grapefruit & Mangosteen, Very Vanilla, Lavender. 

Not sure if you like floral scents but I can guarantee you that if you want a strong hot throw in 464 the two scents from CS I can promise you will be VERY STRONG are, English Garden and Rain Water. They're so strong that even their cold throw as they cure are still fragrancing my entire apartment!

I am looking for a good strong green fig scent to blend with either of those two. I may even do a combo with Oakmoss from sweet cakes that I've also tried which gives an excellent throw in 464.

• Like 1

I love the floral scents, the nature scents, and the herbal scents most.  I don't like bakery/food scents.  Thanks for the info!  How much do you use? I have strong cold throw , hoping the hot throw is strong

• 4 years later...
On 1/7/2015 at 3:10 PM, Guest OldGlory said:

Im confused. Everyone on here complains how Soy doesn't have very good HT compared to Paraffin. But then I read that you are adding soy to your already 70% paraffin mix of 6006 to increase fragrance boost. Shouldn't it be the other way around by adding Paraffin to you Soy? Or is this how it used to be in 2015 before mixes were changed?

3 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

Im confused. Everyone on here complains how Soy doesn't have very good HT compared to Paraffin. But then I read that you are adding soy to your already 70% paraffin mix of 6006 to increase fragrance boost. Shouldn't it be the other way around by adding Paraffin to you Soy? Or is this how it used to be in 2015 before mixes were changed?

I wish Old Glory were still around to be able to answer this. She passed a few years ago 😢, before the massive change to soy.

6006 is mostly paraffin (70% IIRC).  A little more soy can help tame that super quick melt which in some cases/containers/vessels may indeed improve the HT.