Anyone buy thier EOs from local health food store?

HorseScentS

Depends on how much you need. I buy in bulk and the ones at the local health food store come in those small bottles and are just too small and way overpriced. Plus I don't trust them to be pure so I only buy from a reliable source where I can read about the oil. I want to know the extraction method used, what part of the plant was used, the plants origin, and its purity. You don't get that from the local health food store.

If its for something personal or gifts you could do the one time purchase locally. But if you want to start selling products made with the oil you may want to look into a more reliable source so you can get the info and documentation of its sources.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I have purchased EO locally but I find the prices to be obnoxious in those tiny 5 ml or 10 ml bottles, even for something that should be relatively low priced. When I was making soap I bought almost exclusively from Camden-Grey.

But I need to add a caution.

I am a fiend for Patchouli, and I wanted a 16 oz bottle. I contacted C-G and asked if I bought a 1 oz to try the EO first is they could guarantee a 16 oz bottle of the same batch, and they said no. So I bought the 16 oz bottle (think it was around $80 at the time, plus shipping so about $95) and it was skunky. I put it on a shelf for more than a year, smelling it periodically, hoping it would age and smell better but it never did. I had to throw it away. It made me want to cry to think that I just wasted $95. At the time, the C-G website also said to never use an EO more than a year old, and those of us who love the resinous types of EOs know they get better with time. It makes me question their knowledge.  Bottom line, I don't think C-G customer service practices are very good.

All the other EOs I have purchased from C-G have been great.

Now, I think this could happen at any EO supplier, but I also think another supplier might say sure, order the 1 oz, let us know right away and we'll get you 16 oz of the same EO.

I thought of something else - If you decide to buy locally and want pure EO, you have to read the package very carefully. I have seen a lot of the local EOs cut with a carrier oil. I think it shaves a bit off the price that way.

Edited by OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

30ml is an ounce. 5ml bottles of EOs are everywhere, so let's use that for comparison purposes.

A 5 ml bottle of Lavender might cost you $10 at a health food store.

At C-G, a 2 oz bottle of Lavender (Bulgarian) is $21.65, which means if sold in 5 ml bottles at $10, that would cost you $120. If you add in $12 shipping, that's $32.65, and still better than $120.

If all you want is 5ml or 10ml, and you can buy it in a pure form locally, you will come out ahead. If you need an oz or more, you most likely will do better to order and have it shipped to you but it depends on the EO, the supplier, and the distance it has to ship.

Guest OldGlory

Lol, I haven't bought a 5ml or 10ml bottle of EO in more than 10 years. $18? and is probably diluted with a carrier oil.

There's a steep learning curve with all things EO.

You can't buy a $10 bottle of lavender EO at my local health food store. Last time I looked they were about $18.

And i can guarantee you it is not the Bulgarian varietal. 40/42 maybe, which is standardized, available for about $35 or less a lb online.

When it comes to EO, i really like buying closest to the source, like Liberty Naturals, Essential Oil University, etc. loads of great e-tailers provide great quality EOs at reasonable prices.

• Like 2

I like combining lavender EO and FO. I am still pretty new to working with EOs so I haven't tested the various lavender EOs yet. I have noticed there can be a huge difference in the price from one oil to the next and from one supplier to the next. It can be confusing when you are a novice.