PU! What's that smell?

Scented

Odor eliminators. How many of you use/sell one? 

Who has the best (loaded question isn't it?) and why do you think so? 

Before anyone gets in a sniff about it, I am looking for one, but I am not just going to pop out there and buy, buy, buy (not that a lot of suppliers actually carry this any more that I've seen.) I will, however, be looking to make a choice of three and a reason of just because I like it or it smells good really won't sway my opinion, but like if you've tested something and it wipes out 3 month old garbage smell (maybe not that drastic) or rank onion or a smoking club type of thing ... then we're talking lol!

I need it to cover the gamut here ... anywhere from a smoke eliminator to stale air to general stink to apparent science-experimenting cooking from the neighbors. So any suggestions and why? 

Thanks!

I use the one from Candle Science. It really works to eliminate room odors. I was pleasently surprised by how well it works. I also like the scent. To me is smells spicy with a hint of floral. Its got orange, grapefruit, and cinnamon EOs in it. I liked the scent so much I actually burned the candle right down to the bottom of the jar in just a couple of days. My house smelled wonderful. No lingering oders, just a nice country spice smell.

http://www.candlescience.com/fragrance/smoke-and-odor-fragrance-oil

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I have only tried the one from Aztec and I love it. In fact, I have it in my car in a sachet.

The Smoke & Odor Eliminator from Aztec is more of a clean fresh air smell, but very strong. Not exactly a Fresh Linens or Clean Cotton type of scent, but something along those lines with another something that is clean and strong. I don't know what it is.

As far as how good a job it does at covering up I have to confess to perpetual anosmia. I pour candles 3 weeks minimum per month and my house is small so it always smell like my candles. Good luck with your quest!

I use the base from NG. I really like it and a lot of my customers do as well. I do get the occasional person that doesn't like it but that's normal.  I have 3 boys and it works well to get rid of whatever it is living inside of them that makes them smell like that. lol.

I haven't tried any other bases so I don't have anything to compare it to.  It takes scent well but it separates so it needs to be shaken before using.  I actually just walked into my bathroom after one of my boys used it and they must have sprayed because it smelled like Monkey Farts and not whatever they had just done in there.

Candlescience here too- I have tried ones with a lemon Smell and they didnt come close to candlescience

To me it smells like juicy fruit gum and I have no idea how it works but it does....I can't make it with other candles or store it open by other candles- it wipes the scent out

I made deep fried shrimp and homemade french fries which we all know leaves a nasty grease smell in your home for days- one melt in this wiped it completely out

I started putting a plug in one in our garage for our indoor/outdoor cats....they use the litter in the garage when they are not inside and there is no trace of cat in my garage

I love it

Edited by moonshine

I've put some CS S&OE votives in a box with other fragrant votives and the fragrances were actually neutralized.

I have an old lady who has several cats and a husband who smokes cigars order cases of jars of S&OE on a very regular basis for years. She actually gives some to guests and family members who comment on them when they visit at Christmas. She will be picking up two cases (24) tomorrow. Honest. I have them made, but will be pouring more today.

Dave

• Like 1

Re your question if the odor comes back. I didn't notice any odors returning. I usually get musty (house closed up for winter), pet & dander, and cooking odors. It works on all and gets rid of everything.

Scented-- its the only odor eliminator I have tried. I meant to try out the ones at Fillmore Containers but never got around to it. Once I tried CS version I loved it. I may get around to trying out Fillmores and if I do I will post my results but for now I am more than satisfied with the CS one.

PS-- I don't color mine smoke or gray, I color mine a pale mauve because I like it and it fits the scent!

• Like 1

Might try EOs: Camphor, Sage, with a sharp yet fleeting citron like grapefruit or lemongrass would be good.  Sage is good for fungal odors and cig smoke. Camphor is good for Bathroom malodor and Grapefruit or lemongrass is just good at being a clean fresh citric aroma.

Edited by rctfavr3

I use melts for this - they burn stronger and fill the room faster

I have tested jars in this and I couldn't smell the candles I was test burning at that time but I think for a major whole house Odor melts are better- candles for a single room - but that will depend on the wax and wick combo also- I use soy and I couldnt smell the candle thru the whole house like I could the melt

I made a 9oz salsa jar and it cleaned out my whole house. Haven't tried it with melts but I do know melts are typically stronger and faster spreading than candles. I just prefer the ambiance of a lit candle sometimes, plus I wanted to test it out in candles before I sold them.

So I'd say you can use either and get great results.

There's nothing scary about it. I think as long as its packaged properly you should have no problem.

When I was selling the jar candles it would not neutralize odors unless the lid was off. Plus for it to work properly you needed to light the candle so the melt pool would allow more scent to permeate the room. You could leave the candle unlided in a small room like bathroom or your car to help neutralize odors that way. That just gives it more versatility and more selling points. I don't look at that as being scary at all.

You don't want to leave other candles near it with the lids off because it has been know to neutralize their scent. So if you just made a batch of say cinnamon apple candles and set them next to an odor eliminator candle and left them there then yes the apple cinnamon candles will lose some or all of their scent.

I would make them separately from other candles. So keeping them lided, separated, or left in their packages (melts) should work just fine.

See now if we were to put them in tart form, ugh. 

Outside of that, we do pillars, no jars, so ugh. 

I'm thinking if we do them, they get done when nothing else is around and then they're packaged and put away separately. I already know the partner said ... NO! And then some things happened where I was like now see if we had the odor eliminator, that stink (from his dinner leftovers lol) would be gone.