Dry hand/skin balm recipe?

se2653

Guest OldGlory

You can try an olive oil and beeswax blend, and add a capsule of vit E. Start by warming 1/2 cup of the OO, add in a Tbsp of beeswax.  Put it in a tin. You may have to let it set up and then remelt it adding more beeswax or oil until you get what you want.

There are products on the market like this already.

• 2 weeks later...

The blend I tried actually works very well- really helps with cracks on fingers and feet...  I went to swiftcraftmonkey site too, but found my test batch works well so far...

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

I will post the recipe- once I find it!  It's gotten lost on my desk somewhere, between work, hobby stuff, xmas, etc.... but will be happy to post it!  (I think one of my new year's resolutions will be to be more organized!!)

• 4 weeks later...

yay- fnally found the recipe:

45 grams Lanolin

22 grams Shea butter

21 grams Hydrovance (or you can use Glycerin)

14 grams virgin coconut oil

2 grams Vitamin E

7 grams beeswax

2 grams Optiphan

6 drops Lavender EO

Melt the Lanolin, shea butter, hydrovance, coconut oil and beeswax in double boiler.  Take off heat, when below 120, add vit E, Optiphan and EO.  Pour in jar (this makes about 4 oz, it fit perfectly in a 4 oz  jelly jar).  It really works well on cracks on the hands and feet.

• 2 weeks later...

it has all stayed mixed together, but I used Hydrovance and not glycerin. I'm not sure if it would behave differently.  So far, all of the ingredients have stayed mixed together.  It is thick, like a salve.

I read somewhere that lanolin works as an emulsifier.

Lanolin is a lipid, treated like oils and butters. it has a "required" HLB of 10, meaning you need to use the right blend of emulsifier to balance the formula and keep the lanolin in suspension within a hydrous emulsion.

http://www.theherbarie.com/files/resource-center/formulating/Required_HLB_for_Oils_and_Lipids.pdf

• 6 months later...
Guest OldGlory

Does anyone use herbs (dried) to make a salve? A fellow farmer's marketer is looking for a salve and I told him I would see what I could dig up. No fragrance can be used and he likes the idea of using herbs... maybe calendula soaked in whichever oil I use for 2 weeks, the beeswax, a bit of vit E. Any thoughts?