Candle Science Shipping

flair

I made a $50 order from candlescience over the weekend. First CS order I've made in weeks. I'm phasing them out. I found a 6006 wax through Early American. For jars I've switched over to EA and filmore. Oils I've been switching over to NG and Aztec.

But there are a few things that I still can only get from CS and while I was filling up my cart I started to feel bad that I switched all my business because CS was my first supplier and I was feeling nostalgic....

...until I entered my zip code and saw (SURPRISE!) a split shipping notification. They wanted to charge me an extra $14 to ship some red dye chips from the second warehouse. Lol. Get it together Candlescience.

That sucks Amanda. I've been giving it some thought too. CS has been my primary source for FOs for my candles. They have always been a good price and fast shipping. But this splitting their shipping that charges you more is not worth it to me. I am also underwhelmed and disappointed in their response to us. It felt more like they were trying to justify their shipping practices instead of taking care of the real problem which is fully stocking each warehouse so this DOESN"T HAPPEN! Grrrrr!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

This goes to show that cust. serv. is not their main focus.  Bad word will spread and at some point it will start affecting their bottom line.  By that point, most will have found new sources for their product.  Hopefully they get it together soon.

I just placed an order with them and received a split shipping notification as well. Can't remember what it was for, but I remember removing it from my cart immediately. My shipping charges were already $70. No way was I spending another $14 for whatever it was. Shipping fees are absolutely awful. I wish I could move to Reno or someone would open a warehouse here in Vegas. My only options here are Michaels and Hobby Lobby and I rebuke them both.

OK guys, I JUST now placed an 19 item order including candle scents and some clam shells.I had not visited their site since I was going to place my last order and the split shipping was going on. Tonight.... NO split shipping. I also noticed that they have a new cart (checking out was a breeze) and it said on the invoice "Shipping from East coast". So it seems to me that they are getting their company in line to do business. Shew..... I am SO glad that this did not split ship. I was actually squinting at the screen...holding my breath and getting ready for it to come up on the screen and it didn't happen. I feel that business will be running smoothly again with these folks VERY soon. I am certainly encouraged tonight!

Edited by puma52

Puma, sometimes you get lucky and everything is in stock at one warehouse. For the most part, I don't have a problem with my orders, but it's pretty disappointing when it does happen.

Eta: I got the split shipping notice yesterday, so it's still happening...

Edited by Shoegal

I guess I am lucky! But, I am still encouraged because some of those scents I ordered tonight were in the split shipping when I was going to order previously. I just hope they get things all taken care of very quickly so that everyone can feel good about ordering from Candle Science once again.

I just made a small order and I am in NC 2 1/2 hours away from CS and Shipping was waaaayyy too much.  I ship USPS Prioriity online and it's not as expensive as them.  I wanted something very small, would have fit in a bubble mailer, less than 2 oz, that was shipping from NV for over $7!  I emailed them about this insane shipping amount and they said it is what it is.   I said REMOVE the item, *shudder*  that!

I'm going to have to save my pennies for a really LARGE order and just bite the bullet and make the drive to pick up anything else from them.  No money can be made with shipping being so high.  You all seem to like Peak very much so I feel confident that I'll be ordering next from them.  I'm concerned about the FO's being different though.  Oh well.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style. ~
Dr Maya Angelou

I have a E-Commerce business too! I ship items USPS Priority for starting rate of $5.95.  I brought this to their attention, and my username here is the same there, so I know if they read this, they will know it's me. Their response to me was basically OH WELL sorry, but it's that way.  Fed Ex recently opened a distribution point in Winston-Salem NC too.  I KNOW there are cheaper rates out there.  I was dissappointed.  I did expect more. 

If you can't ship an item from the same place, tough.  You eat the costs.  It's not the customers' fault you don't have it in stock and/or it's being drop shipped from the heavens.  You take a little less profit on each item but you have a customer that's happy and will return.

Never once did I think of adding shipping to a customer's order because I had to drop ship it if I didn't have it in stock,

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
Maya Angelou

If you can't ship an item from the same place, tough. You eat the costs. It's not the customers' fault you don't have it in stock and/or it's being drop shipped from the heavens. You take a little less profit on each item but you have a customer that's happy and will return.

DING DING DING!

You summed it up much more eloquently than I was able to but that what I've been saying. And the response from CS that "noooo, guys! This is a GOOD thing! Now you have the CHOICE to order it from the other warehouse instead of it being listed as Out Of Stock" is so annoying and condescending.

As far as oils, I've been having AWESOME luck with Aztec's oils lately. Just as good as CS's and similar prices. And they'll stuff a couple pounds of oil in a USPS envelope for $6.

It's really breaking my heart. I started with Candle Science, so I'm a little attached to them. I'm getting together an order to submit to Peak. I received a coupon for 25% off shipping. Good enough for me. Get it together Candle Science!!

Trappeur
Well, I placed 2 orders at different times this past month and a half......For all the years I have been ordering from CS I could ALWAYS count on it to be delivered 2 days from day I placed the order.  This last order took 10 days b/4 I got it and and the order previously took 7 days......I don't understand.

amanda
DING DING DING!
You summed it up much more eloquently than I was able to but that what I've been saying. And the response from CS that "noooo, guys! This is a GOOD thing! Now you have the CHOICE to order it from the other warehouse instead of it being listed as Out Of Stock" is so annoying and condescending.

As far as oils, I've been having AWESOME luck with Aztec's oils lately. Just as good as CS's and similar prices. And they'll stuff a couple pounds of oil in a USPS envelope for $6.

Oceangazer1 And why are they quoting me cheaper shipping from NV. I think they need to get some phone calls and we need answers.

I hope I'm doing this right and you all can see my reply.  I'm HOT now!  I've read EVERYONE's post in this thread and you all have valid points and raise valid questions!  Email or call customer service, and often.  Sometimes you have to be a dog with a bone to get a better place on the porch! LOL

@Oceangazer1  Your shipping was cheaper than I paid and I live in the same state as CS!!! I also noticed that shipping UPS overnight was the same price as ground and I knew that was HOKEY as Hello so I didn't check the faster shipping because I just knew if I did, they would contact me saying a mistake was made blah blah, gimme more of your $$!!!!

@amanda Thanks for the tip!  I'll be checking them out!

@Trappeur  They were too busy moving and/or opening new stores at the time.  They moved from a small town in NC the bigger area of Raleigh-Durham.  This extra shipping is paying their new expensive rent or possibly new location in NV or hello maybe both! 

To everyone involved, it's a sad day to lose a good supplier due to S/H costs, but sometimes you have to put your foot down or yell the line from that old movie "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"  I'm afraid to venture out but I trust you guys and will check out these other folks mentioned.  Oh and btw, Walmart has those 4 oz jars, a case for $11.88 here. Look back behind the kitchen machinery like can openers, toasters, etc. 

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
Maya Angelou

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest OldGlory

I cannot figure out why they are doing this. I have been putting together an order for days now. First time I did the shipping estimate, it was all coming from NC. Just 3 fragrances. Next day  I changed from 3 lbs to 5 lbs of ONE fragrance, did the shipping estimate, now, the 5 lbs has to come from Nevada. Same single fragrance. I did not change the quantity of the other 2.

When I submitted a question about it (and told them I was not ready to finalize the order yet), the response was "because one of the items in only in stock in Nevada. If you want the order now, it has to come from Nevada." They could have easily told me that the 5 lb will be back in stock in X number of weeks, but they did not.

So I can only buy single lb bottles from one location and I can buy 5 lbs bottles from a different location. Can't they simply send me 5 one lb bottles? When I buy from Aztec, if they are out of the 2 lb bottle, they give me 2 one lb bottles. Am I missing something?

Guest OldGlory

I am waiting on an email response. If they can't give me a reasonable explanation, I will simply ask Aztecto dupe the scents.

Edited by OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

In my email I asked specifically when the 5 lb quantity would be back in stock, that I could wait until then.

No response. They responded to the first email within an hour.       

:waiting:               :whistling:

I bought from them and then from peek because they didn't have enough in stock.. Candle Science charged me $22.00 dollars more than peek for the same darn thing. I have used them on and off for years . But between rude customer service and the shipping I am looking elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

I should follow up to my most recent post about split shipping and 5 one lb bottles vs a 5 lb jug...

I returned to the site every few days and went thru the 'estimate shipping' exercise, and finally last week the 3 fragrances in 5 lb jugs were available at the NC location - or SC whichever. I ordered immediately. It saved me about $40 between the costs for the one lb bottles and the additional shipping. But - it took me 3 weeks to get it.

The answer is NO, they don't maintain a stock of all products in both locations. One day they will look back and realize this was a bad decision.

In the interest of fairness, I have received an email reply from CS basically saying that I could wait for the item that was shipping from a different warehouse to be back in stock and then get it all in one shipment or buy 16oz bottles which are in stock but will cost me more than the 5lb jug.  For me it just comes down to the fact that they can't keep their stock filled.  If this has been going on the first 6 mo of the year, what will the fall be like?