Candle Science Shipping

flair

I was hoping that CS would respond to us all here in the forum. Here is what I wrote to them and the response I received today:

Candace Bulger

Feb 10, 11:12 AM

I thought you should be aware that there is a discussion on your shipping practices on the Craft Server candle forum. I know you are a forum member and you should check it out.

The thread is entitled "Candle Science Shipping" and is in the general candle section of the forum. Some of your customers are members also and have been discussing your splitting your shipping between warehouses and having to pay seperate shipping for an order.

It might be nice if you responded to their concerns.

I think most people are happy with your customer service and product. But the shipping has everyone concerned.

Thank you for your consideration.

Their response to me:

Heather (CandleScience Support)

Feb 11, 3:07 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the information. WE completely understand the concern with shipping prices. As e-commerce consumers ourselves, we are constantly talking about what we can do to make our customers happy. In fact, we just had our 2015 goal meeting our top goals include ways to reduce shipping costs. I can assure you that we are working very hard to come up with solutions to bring these costs down, and we hope to have some good news to share in the very near future!

Thank you,

Heather

i was disappointed in the response too. Given that this is a public forum and is read by a large number of people it can and does influence buying trends for supplies. They always responded to our threads about them before. So one wonders if our concerns have made it to management where decision making will occur or if they have not gone past customer service. At this point I can only gather that they have not gone past customer service.

Lol. That last post I made sure sounds bitter. I was just SO FRUSTRATED because this is the second time in a couple weeks that the split shipping messed up my hundredweight discount.

I'd still recommend candlescience to a hobbiest. But if you need a reliable supplier for a small business, CS isn't cutting it. Three hold ups since Christmas is kind of rough for a small business. Time is money. Especially when you're like me and always half a step behind of where you'd like to be!

I placed an order and came to the split shipment....that did it for me. Delete, delete, delete.  The shipping would have been double what I should have paid in the first place. I certainly hope they are rethinking this split shipping crap....not good for them or US! 

It could be anything at any time. That's what's so frustrating.

The first time it was wick tabs. So my cart is loaded up with oils and wick tabs and I go to check out and they want to charge me ~$50 shipping for most of my order from NC plus an extra $15 to ship just the wick tabs from NV. But no problem, I needed some stuff from NG so I just got my wick tabs there.

Second time really messed me up. It was the 4oz jars. I was making my big order. 2 cases of wax, all my oils, cases and cases of jars. Enough weight to qualify for the hundredweight shipping discount. Then I go to check out and see that the 4iz jars would be coming from NV, which more than doubled my shipping since I lost the shipping discount by splitting up the weight, and now my wax and oils and 8oz jars were coming from one state, but my 4oz jars were coming from another state.

Most recently, I have wax and some oils in my cart. I go to check out and one oil (rose) was coming from NV. Would have cost an extra $15 in shipping charges. So I email asking when they expect the rose back in stock in the NC warehouse. Because I can wait for the rose if it's going to be awhile but I can't wait for the wax. She replies it is in stock. I go to check out and now the rose AND the orange chili pepper are coming from NV.

I wanted to throw my computer

So it's basically buying from 2 suppliers now you just don't know what items are coming from where!

This really makes me angry....I can understand them trying to branch out and grow but the way they are handling this sucks and if they lose enough people like it sounds like they will that new shiny warehouse in NV is going to godown fast!

I mean how hard is It to supply BOTH of your stores with all of your items or if they have to split in two like bittercreek- start a different website so we know what the heck we CAN get from the one closest to us!!!!!!

Their answer to Candybee is as much BS As mine was!

• Like 1

The word has to have made it to the management by now.  If they were interested in the potential customers & current customers here, they would check the boards every once in a while.  There would be no point in the cust. service people holding this info back especially if multiple people have already contacted them about the same thing.  The problem it seems is a lack of concern.

To give an example, Tennessee Candle Supply reads these boards.  They saw several people discussing FOs, specifically wanting them to carry Tangerine Dreams & Pomegranate.  Guess what?  They listened and responded extremely fast.  Those 2 cents are due in their warehouse this Friday.  CS could do this also, they just choose not to.  Which means our business is not important enough to them.  As for TCS, I am impressed and that is exactly why I placed an order with them.

• Like 3

Come on Candle Science PLEASE RESPOND!!! Respond and let your customers know what is going on .... what the plan is.......if you are working on fully supplying BOTH warehouses....if this CRAZY split shipping is going to stop soon or if it isn't going to stop at all...Your customers DESERVE to know!!  

I don't think they're going to stop it to be honest. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. When it happens to me, I either remove the item or change sizes if it's a FO. I just try not to wait until I'm totally out of something before I place the order because you never know.  

Hi Everyone!

We really appreciate the feedback. At CandleScience, we literally run our company by working to address the problems our customers face.

Regarding shipping, we hear you, and we agree. As e-commerce customers ourselves it is no fun to pay shipping costs, period. The good news is that we have been working on reducing shipping prices for some time, and will be able to make some announcements that we think you all will enjoy in the coming months.

One quick note about “double charges” on shipping. This occurs when an item is out of stock from the distribution center closest to you. Rather than not allowing you to purchase the item, we make it available from another distribution center, though there are separate shipping charges for those items. Rather than working around this, we’ve decided to fix the problem at its root cause. We are implementing a very sophisticated forecasting system (the same that national retail and e-commerce companies use) to make sure we have the stock we need for our shelves in all locations. 

We really appreciate your business and feedback. We are really excited about the new year and hope you will be pleased with the changes to come.

Sincerely,

The CandleScience Team

• Like 4

Candle Science: I appreciate your responding to our forum.

It seemed to me that the real problem lay in managing warehouse stock and I am glad you are addressing that issue as it was a major concern to all of us. While I appreciate the opportunity to purchase an item from another warehouse because it may out I believe this should be the exception and not the rule. It creates and builds customer frustration and mistrust when it occurs frequently.

I think we all here hope you are successful in updating your system as it will be a huge relief to all of us.

Candace

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Why not offer full disclosure up front? Just let us know which items are coming from NV and which items are coming from NC before we spend an hour putting together an order, only to find out at the end that we have to pay shipping from 2 locations.

Why not offer full disclosure up front? Just let us know which items are coming from NV and which items are coming from NC before we spend an hour putting together an order, only to find out at the end that we have to pay shipping from 2 locations.

This is a feature we just implemented this week, if an item is out of stock in one location it will say "shipping from _" next to the item so you don't have to wait until you get to the checkout to discover this.

• Like 1

Well, I placed 2 orders at different times this past month and a half......For all the years I have been ordering from CS I could ALWAYS count on it to be delivered 2 days from day I placed the order.  This last order took 10 days b/4 I got it and and the order previously took 7 days......I don't understand.

Last night I had in my shopping card 50 pounds of wax and my free sample for a delivery charge of 28.94.

I ordered only 1 sample of blueberry cheesecake........ to come with the order and now the shipping of ONLY a one ounce sample is now 43.90!!!You got to be kidding me.  (14.96 for an extra ounce of oil?)  They need to correct this situation!!!   I'm only 1 state over from them.

Trappeur

I HOPE HEATHER AT CANDLE SCIENCE IS READING THIS POST.  HAVE YOU NOTICED ME NOT ORDERING FROM YOU LATELY???  I hope they aren't thinking that just because their oils are fantastic that we all will accept their shipping and just order and pay the horrible shipping prices.  There are other companies out there who want our business and will go above and beyond like Tennessee and Flaming Candle.

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

Very nice of Heather to respond to this thread. I've had great experience working with her and CS in general. I really hope that something can be done about the shipping. I'd almost rather see an item listed as out of stock than be charged an extra $15 to ship it from another warehouse. I wonder if there's a way to just set up the system as to where if something is out of stock at one warehouse then everythig ships from the other warehouse. I'd rather wait a little longer for my order then pay double for shipping. 

I LOVE candlescience, but I'm with all of you on the split shipping, I had to delete Two very much needed & one Fav Scent today just because NO Way was I already paying hundredweight shipping fees And $25 shipping for other location, all over $20 in stuff, I was SO upset, I had been dying to make my order for 2wks and once saw the split shipping fees I just couldn't do it :(

I will say though that between CS & 4 other suppliers CS has been Fast Fast Every Time! CS so far has been No more than a week max to get my stuff and all 4 other places (even for one item) took 2wks!!

I can't stand CS limited supplies but with what they do have so far so good(oh except one mold) lol

• 1 month later...

I'm glad Candle Science responded and I hope they do resolve this soon like they mentioned. I opted to drive to Georgia to go to Flaming Candle because I was only going to be about an hour and a half away from them and they were so nice and I loved being able to pick up the products and not pay shipping. I still love Candle Science and would love to return as a customer.

Well, I placed 2 orders at different times this past month and a half......For all the years I have been ordering from CS I could ALWAYS count on it to be delivered 2 days from day I placed the order.  This last order took 10 days b/4 I got it and and the order previously took 7 days......I don't understand.

Last night I had in my shopping card 50 pounds of wax and my free sample for a delivery charge of 28.94.

I ordered only 1 sample of blueberry cheesecake........ to come with the order and now the shipping of ONLY a one ounce sample is now 43.90!!!You got to be kidding me.  (14.96 for an extra ounce of oil?)  They need to correct this situation!!!   I'm only 1 state over from them.

Trappeur

I HOPE HEATHER AT CANDLE SCIENCE IS READING THIS POST.  HAVE YOU NOTICED ME NOT ORDERING FROM YOU LATELY???  I hope they aren't thinking that just because their oils are fantastic that we all will accept their shipping and just order and pay the horrible shipping prices.  There are other companies out there who want our business and will go above and beyond like Tennessee and Flaming Candle.

Four words....Thank you, I Agree!!!