EO in lip balm

mzphee

I don't normally use EO's but first thing you would want to make sure of is if it's indigestible. Skin safe, and lip safe are 2 very different animals.

If it were me, I'd stay on the safe side and just use flavor oils, but that's me. 

I'm sure others will come along and help you out... 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

If you are buying EOs that you know without a doubt are safe for application on the lips (not just skin safe), and the company you are buying from doesn't have a disclaimer saying that all the products you make are your responsibility and not theirs, sure why not. I would also make sure your insurance is up to date because I don't know any company I would trust that much. That is high risk activity.

If you choose eo's make sure they are labeled FCC (Food Chemicals Codex). Not all essential oils are handled the same, so even if, say tangerine essential oil, may be lip safe, the bottle of tangerine essential oil on your shelf may NOT be because of how it was made, bottled, transported, etc. really do your homework on what you choose.

I use several different essential oils in my lip blends. No flavor oil can compare to the depth and complexity i can achieve using appropriate essential oils.

• Like 1

If you choose eo's make sure they are labeled FCC (Food Chemicals Codex). Not all essential oils are handled the same, so even if, say tangerine essential oil, may be lip safe, the bottle of tangerine essential oil on your shelf may NOT be because of how it was made, bottled, transported, etc. really do your homework on what you choose.

I use several different essential oils in my lip blends. No flavor oil can compare to the depth and complexity i can achieve using appropriate essential oils.

Thanks a lot that was actually the EO I saw at my help food store and was thinking to get. I'm glad I brought the idea here first.im gonna still start the research because I may do in the future.
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

You need to check the allowed levels as well.  Check out http://www.ifraorg.org/en-us/standards

Lip products are category 1.

Your EO may be listed as such, or it may be listed by component (sigh) which complicates things.  For example, if you search on the site for peppermint you get nothing,  But peppermint EO contains a high level of carvone which is allowed at 0.08% with a footnote that it also has to meet any rules regarding use in food.

Good luck, and yes - use FCC ones (ScentWorks had them, not sure any longer)

Edited by CareBear
  • Like 1

I used to make a Hand & Foot Salve (think of that Burt's stuff in the metal tin only without the beeswax) that had EO's in it and I won't lie, now and then I used it on my lips and so far, I'm not dead. But this was one of those 'just for me' kinds of items so I didn't worry too much about EO properties, even less because its primary use was hands, feet, elbows, ya know, those parts that get REALLY dry. Anyway, this probably isn't the most helpful post but I know it can be done. The only problem I ran into when doing it was well frankly, the taste wasn't spectacular. It smelled great, it tasted vaguely medicine-like.

• 3 weeks later...