Warmers and melts, comprehensive overview

Guest OldGlory

Type of wax = EZ Parasoy

Fragrance load = 10%

Type of warmer = Halogen, Glade Hot Plate, and Bulb Warmer (not sure of wattage)

Works best in the Glade hot plate and the Bulb warmer, Halogen gets too hot (even when turned down) although if I use less wax (ie: 1 square of six cavity clamshell vs 2 squares) I get better results in the Halogen.

I get 10-15 hours of good to great throw out of 2 squares of a six cavity clamshell.

All 330 of my fragrances have been tested by 35 outside independent testers.

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

That's AWESOME testing candleladyMN! I don't even know 35 people with warmers, lol. I've been taking melts to a local market and about 75% of the people ask,' are these candles?' Even when I have 2 warmers sitting out right beside the melts.

Guest OldGlory

I have heard about the crazed, rabid, obsessive wax melters on Facebook. Kudos to you and the others who are making money there!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest OldGlory

And another bump might be timely. I think some of our newcomers don't realize that great hot throw is a result of many factors. This should help.

I know this is an old post started in 2014 but I believe people like myself still read them so here is my observation.

When making melts from what I have read and understood from this thread and many many others, everyone has their own requirements as far as  how long their melts should last but that it depends on what type of melter the customer is using ie; tea light, warmer or bulb.  So how do you market the product when you don't know what the customer has for a melter?  I ask this question as I'm thinking about offering them to my retail customers.  I was thinking that maybe I should have a large caution label made with the suggestive type melter to be used to get the best possible longest burning and strongest smelling fragrance.  For the ones who sell retail, how do you promote yours?  I have for myself tea light melters and a couple of cheap melters that are plugged into a wall so there is no bulb.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that it seems pretty much everyone makes their own blends of sooooooo many different combinations of different waxes.  I don't see many who just use 1 wax.  I am very curious if any use just 1 wax and if so, do you mind telling which wax you use?  I would be getting my wax from either Flaming or Candle Science and wow is it expensive!  I presently only make candles using 464.  I used to sell melts made from molds in only 464 and put them in the little square 8oz mason jars but pretty much I really never sold them in the summer but fall and winter and I really never had a problem with melting or smears, but after reading about melts I really shouldn't be using a soy made for candles.  Does anyone do a blend with 464 and could you make some suggestions of what you use or would suggest?  Is there a percentage formula of how to start using when mixing soy with something else?

Thanks.

Trappeur 

• Like 1

In my opinion, the hot plate style warmers seem to be the best, although right now I'm using two bulb warmers because that's what I have. I had a hot plate warmer and took it to school so I could melt wax there and get a better idea about throw etc. There's just too many other scents that I can smell around here at times and I can walk down the hall and see exactly where I start smelling the wax and how long it throws. That's just my opinion though. I still get throw from bulb warmers too.

I like to use 4625 either alone or mixed with a little bit of container wax when I make shaped tarts because I can't stand for the wax to rub off on the bags or the jars if I put them in a decorative jar like cookies. I also use the Candle Source's tart wax and have been loving it for my clamshells. I didn't like it the first time I used it but gave it another try and glad I did. I haven't had testers test it for me yet though but it sure pours up pretty in clams and has a great cold throw. I'm thinking about mixing it with 4625 to use in molds and see how it goes. The only thing I don't like about it so far is when it hardens it has bumps. It doesn't have a smooth surface but I guess that's ok.

I don't use soy so I don't really know how much or what would be good to mix with it. Maybe some 4625 in your container wax? I saw where Flaming has some granulated tart wax. I think I'm going to try that the next time I order from them to see if it's the same wax as the candle source.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...