Warmers and melts, comprehensive overview

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

Warmers are going to be big again this fall/winter/holiday season. There's lots of good information on the board but I would like to compile it on one thread. Sort of a one stop reference for everyone making melts.

I would like to discuss the different types of warmers in context - plate style with a ceramic bowl on top, light bulb style, and the older tealight style warmers if anyone is using them. I would also like to discuss the different wattages of light bulbs.

Next I would like to see which waxes/wax blends work best in the different types of warmers. While we can't actually discuss every possible wax combination, we can say that a particular wax is a pillar blend or a container blend, and about how much fragrance load you are using.

So, for those of you who have put a lot of time and effort into studying warmers and melts, could you summarize what you are doing that is producing better than average results (which we realize is going to be somewhat subjective)?

Include 1) your wax(es) choice and whether is it a pillar wax or container wax, 2) your fragrance load, 3) the type of warmer that works best for you and the wattage of the light bulb if applicable, and finally, 4) your result ( example:strong throw, lasts 2 weeks if warmed for one hour per day)

I think this will be a very valuable resource for seasoned melt makers as a comparison, and for newbies as a place to begin their testing. Thanks in advance for your input!

Guest OldGlory

Bump -

1. From what I've read about warmers (since I don't sell tarts/melts), the plate style with a ceramic dish will be hotter, in general and depending on the wattage of the bulb, than a light bulb style warmer. The hotter the warmer gets the quicker it will burn off fragrance oils.

The hotter styles of warmers are better suited for harder waxes. It will take longer for the wax to melt than a soft wax.

2. I have read that using a 25 watt bulb in your light bulb warmer rather than a 30 or 40 watt bulb will slow down the burn off of fragrance oil. It seems the light bulb styles with lower wattage bulbs (ex: 25 watt) are better suited for softer waxes.

3. Reading previous posts leads me to believe that results have numerous variants, much like a candle. There really hasn't be a conclusive side by side result posted to prove one theory over another. Some say their melts last 2 weeks, but they don't post at what rate they are warming the melt. Is it in the warmer and on for 24/7? Is it on for one hour a day for 2 weeks? I think this is where people are worried their melts don't measure up - and, although I don't have conclusive evidence, I believe that results would be pretty much the same if the warmers were the same. Yes, there are big difference in fragrance oils, and this would completely change results, but if two people made the same melt, same wax, same fragrance, same warmer, shouldn't the results be the same?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Edited by OldGlory

I have used every style of burner from the tea light ones to the plates and everything in between.

My personal favorite type is the ones with the halogen bulbs on a rheostat. I have full control with those.  

I discount people who claim 2 to 4 weeks here is why different people have different nose sensitivity. The ones claiming that are more likely more sensitive to fragrance than others.

So here was my testing with my nose sensitivity my melts in my hottest burner had to last 15 hours. By that I mean I still had to be able to smell in in the room it was burning at 15 hours. Now some one with less sensitivity than me would most likely not be able to smell it in the room at the 15 hour mark but those with more sensitivity would be able to still smell it in the hall way or even in other rooms at that point.

I firmly believe that is why we get so many conflicting reports on how long a melt last.

My last step in testing was I would give out 10 sample to 10 tester and when their results came in I would average it and get what I think would be the average smell time. I would have a few that would think it smelled for days and some that said only about 10 hours. The result where never everyone getting the same smell time, fyi my 10 tester burn in the burners I had given them so I knew exactly what and how hot they where burning them.

• Like 2

Include 1) your wax(es) choice and whether is it a pillar wax or container wax, 2) your fragrance load, 3) the type of warmer that works best for you and the wattage of the light bulb if applicable, and finally, 4) your result ( example:strong throw, lasts 2 weeks if warmed for one hour per day)

I've actually been having our customers provide feedback for the past few months since this is a question we get asked over and over and over from our new customers.  So, the info I provide below is a combo of my results and the results of many of our regular customers.

1) Parasoy tart wax (my custom blend of three waxes)

2) 6% - 9% FO load depending on the oil

3) My personal preference are the hotplate style electric warmers (most of our customers use the same).  Wattages vary from 14 - 22, all with great results. 

4) Results of throw and longevity are indicative of too many variables (floor plan, air conditioner, windows open/closed, sq ft of room, which fragrance is being melted, and varying sniffers)  However, an "estimated" answer is that most fragrances burned in my 20-watt burner last at least 12 hours with continuous burn.  I've had some that lasted three days on a continuous burn (this is rare though). 

Hope this info is helpful to some.

• Like 3

For us:  1. Parasoy pillar blend

2. Depends on the FO.  From 14% to 25%. (I know it's high, but that's what we and our customers like)

3. We don't have personal preferences on this one. We go with what our customers like which is the bulb warmers.

4. We have a very detailed testing procedure. Two cubes from a six cavity clamshell burned two hours in the morning and three hours in the evening will have a great throw for two-three days, a good throw for another 1-2 days, and an OK throw for 2 days. Depends on the scent and the mfg. Especially the mfg. We have found many mfg's and distributors who vary their formula to cut costs or dilute the oil, again to cut costs. Some have admitted it to us; most just say "Hmmmm. We'll look into it and get back to you".So, two cakes will reasonably last a week.

• Like 5

Oh, another thought. We avoid warmers with decoration in the middle of the bowl. Makes getting the wax out a pain. Bulbs are a big thing. We carry two different warmers. One has the Scentsy type bulbs; the other has the halogen bulbs. Replacement bulbs available to customers are a must and a good selling point for us. The halogen bulb warmer sells much better, and the customer can get the bulbs at lots of places, but they get the wrong wattage lots of times and blame the warmer or melts for poor performance. Our sales people go over tips, do's and don't's with the customers to make their experience as pleasant as possible.

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

Sounds like it would be a good idea to write an instruction sheet to include with melts - sort of a "FOR BEST RESULTS.." thing that a customer could refer to later. At one time Yankee offered an instruction sheet with their candles. I think I saved it. You sure can't get all the information on a label.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to write an instruction sheet to include with melts - sort of a "FOR BEST RESULTS.." thing that a customer could refer to later. At one time Yankee offered an instruction sheet with their candles. I think I saved it. You sure can't get all the information on a label.

I include a "for best results" for all my candles. I also include on this what could potentially and typically "go wrong" with improper burning - which includes the warnings that are already on the warning/caution labels. I have no idea if people read them but I do include it with every candle I sell. 

• Like 1

1) your wax(es) choice and whether is it a pillar wax or container wax palm piller

2) your fragrance load 1oz pp

3) the type of warmer that works best for you and the wattage of the light bulb if applicable electric warmer with detachable bowl, tart bowl sits on electric warming plate, not sure of wattage

4) your result ( example:strong throw, lasts 2 weeks if warmed for one hour per day) strong throw with immediate results, within 30 seconds, tarts last for about a week if burned 1-3 hours a day

Edited by Candybee

Hey all, I haven't been on here in years...so HELLO! Just started making tarts/melts again so began visiting last week.

I am running some tests and I'll try to keep this updated as I go. I'll be testing new waxes since my old ones are no longer available. That's how long it's been lol!

I have 4 warmers I'm starting with plus have a couple of more on the way. My starting wax is KY Parasoy tart blend (132 melt point)...just using it straight for beginning results with 10% fragrance. Tarts are 1oz in portion cups. All results use the same fragrance. I am actually measuring the melt pool temperature with my infared thermometer. Here are the warmers I have now, those on the way and temp results.

OBI 24wt hot plate burner - scent throw detected within 15 minutes -took less than 25 minutes to completely melt tart. 198 degree melt pool at 3 hrs.

Illuminations Owl warmer (25wt bulb) - throw detected within 20-25 minutes. Took almost 1 hour to completely melt tart. 174 degree melt pool at 3 hrs.

Illuminations 20wt hot plate warmer - took nearly one hour to detect very weak scent throw, over an hour to completely melt tart and throw never improved. Melt pool temperature at 3 hrs was 166 degrees.

Plug in warmer with 15 wt bulb - haven't tested yet. Not sure will be a contender with this wax and it's melt point.

Warmers on the way:

Scentsy hot plate warmer (not sure of wattage until it arrives)

Scentsy 20wt bulb warmer

Better Homes and Gardens hot plate warmer (won't be sure of wattage until it arrives)

As said I'll try to keep this updated as I go ...it may take awhile!

• Like 2

I prefer the 22w electric hot plate/ceramic bowl warmers over all others. The 25w bulb warmers are decent but I get better/longer ht from the hot plate style. As regards to the lightbulb warmers, the 25w takes a bit longer to start throwing but the 40w bulbs while start off strong, the ht doesn't seem to last near as long.

I use a custom blend of soypara container wax with paraffin pillar, 10% fo load, last at least 10-12 hrs with continuous melting (using 2 cubes or 1.25oz scent shot).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for posting. A lot of helpful info, never did I think about the wattage on the warmers having an affect on tarts.   I'm just now trying to make them, I have a scentsy and one BHG i got from Walmart, both plug in the wall, I'm testing a paraffin pillar/gb 464 blend.  The tarts have cured a week and smell strong, but tested in the BHG warmer, 15 watt bulb, and one square melt, the ht wasn't that great, so guess I'll try 2 squares and go from there, they smell so strong in the clamshell tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how I missed this thread, but hopefully it will keep going.

C3 wax

6% fo

Almost always sell light bulb warmers too many complaints about hot plate ones.  Occasionally sell tea light warmers but have found that the small ones like the coffee cup tend to make the soy wax smell

burnt as the wick is too close to the bowl..very hard to get these customers to trim a tea light wick!

I burn the light bulb warmers in my stores and typically 8-9 hours a day, stores are almost 9000 sq ft each so I tend to use stronger fragrances and the scent will last from 3-7 days.  When I was using the

hot plate warmers I did notice that the scent burned off quicker.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is my first test batch.

1) your wax(es) choice and whether is it a pillar wax or container wax - EcoSoya PB, pillar wax

2) your fragrance load - 6.25%

3) the type of warmer that works best for you and the wattage of the light bulb if applicable - using a Scentsy light bulb warmer with a 25W bulb

4) your result - I put it in the warmer this morning, and one of my tarts is the same by weight as two Scentsy cubes (what's recommended for use in this size of warmer).  The tart melted completely in short order, about 10-15 minutes, but the throw wasn't terribly strong.  I had two going, one in our living room, which is a fairly open space, and one in our bathroom, which is a pretty small space, and I didn't get great throw in either.  I'll try upping the fragrance load, and if that doesn't help, I'll check out a different wax.

The tarts are recently made.  I'll also retest one in a few days, see if some curing time makes a difference.

Second test batch, I haven't melted yet - just made it yesterday.  But I poured at a cooler temp, and I noticed that that made the tarts a little more difficult to remove from the molds.  Not sure if that was due to cooler wax temp or to it being dang cold in south Louisiana yesterday, just an observation!

And the tart from my first batch that I'm melting in our bathroom?  NOW I can smell it, after it's been going pretty much non-stop for a day and a half.  Go figure.

• 3 months later...