Would This Work?

7 Pawz

Hi guys, I've made soap on and off for a few years, nothing really advanced tho.  Recently I decided to grate a 3lb batch of soap; I didn't want to rebatch it, that doesn't work so well for me, but I thought somehow to incorporate it into another batch of soap in small amounts. It is lightly scented,color is pinkish. Made with Olive oil, coconut oil and lard.

Would it be feasible to add about a cup of shredded soap to the new soap oils and proceeed as usual or better to make the new batch of soap and add the shredded soap on top of the newly poured soap?  I've searched and found many suggestions, I would appreciate your thoughts.

As long as the batch was not lye heavy then yes it will work. Many many people do this and call them confetti soaps. 

I make confetti soaps with my left over scraps from when I trim my soaps or when I used to bevel. They can give a really striking affect when used right. 

Jcandleattic & Candybee:

Thank you for your suggestions, I am going to experiment this weekend, hopefully.  I just wasn't satisfied with the way the 3lb batch turned out, it was useable, color was nice, scent was a little light, I 'd like to add more scent and incorporate the batch with a new one and after all that soap shredding, I sure wanted to do something with it :)

• Like 1

I always save leftover soap or batches that went awry for one reason or another. (I sometimes forget to add the fragrance!) I am also saving shreds from beveling now. Plus I save the end pieces I cut off from my soap blocks. All of these pieces and shreds of soap can be salvaged. Nothing need go to waste as far as I am concerned!

I always save leftover soap or batches that went awry for one reason or another. (I sometimes forget to add the fragrance!) I am also saving shreds from beveling now. Plus I save the end pieces I cut off from my soap blocks. All of these pieces and shreds of soap can be salvaged. Nothing need go to waste as far as I am concerned!

I agree---I thought about trying to "melt" the soap shavings, add other scent, remold, but I can't get the soap mixture smooth enough and they look very primitive out of the mold, which is ok, the soap can be used, but it isn't quite what I had in mind for looks and if I add too much water as I melt, then its too thin and won't harden.

Rebatched soap always has that 'primitive' rustic look. I don't mind it so much. What I do like about rebatched soap is it seems to feel nicer, more mild and lathery after rebatching. So its not so bad. I just embrace the look.

I did notice that the soap felt better after rebatching, so I may give it a few more tries, I guess it gives the opportunity to add extras that you didn't add before , maybe pour it as a basic rectangle or square, not my flower shaped molds :)

Your shreds need to be fresh soap and not cured or dried out before use. I think it would be neat to incorporate shreds that have a different quality than the base; such as a soap for normal skin and soap for oily skin or dry skin. I always have several bars in the shower and switch them out to meet the needs of my skin. Does that make any sense?

Your shreds need to be fresh soap and not cured or dried out before use. 

I use shreds that are months, sometimes years old in a new batch for confetti soaps and they have always been just fine. 

Can I ask why you say use only fresh shreds? Just curious. I had never heard that before is all. Maybe I'm missing something? :) 

The only problem I can see using shreds with different formulas than your base soap is labeling (if you label that is)

For the most part I know which soaps my shreds came from and I typically use the same formula for the majority of my soaps, so this isn't too much of a problem for me. 

I've never really noticed a significant difference in the feel of the bar when the shreds are a different formulation (for instance - using my luxury formula shreds in my regular line formula) not much difference at all, if any. 

I am curious too. I have made soap using 'fresh' soap shreds and cured soap shreds. I couldn't tell the difference. But then I also was using the same soap recipe as the shreds. Maybe that makes a difference? IDK

I know that using fresh shreds they have more moisture in them but they sure are a pain in the patootie to shred when moist.

I am curious too. I have made soap using 'fresh' soap shreds and cured soap shreds. I couldn't tell the difference. But then I also was using the same soap recipe as the shreds. Maybe that makes a difference? IDK

I know that using fresh shreds they have more moisture in them but they sure are a pain in the patootie to shred when moist.

I don't shred my shreds. I just dump them in, and when I cut the bars, it cuts the shreds too. 

I just grab a couple handfuls and throw them in the batter. 

(the pic is from a soap I made about 2 years ago - apparently I like old pictures!!! LMAO) 

post-200-0-75987900-1409933983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jcandleattic

Your shreds need to be fresh soap and not cured or dried out before use. I think it would be neat to incorporate shreds that have a different quality than the base; such as a soap for normal skin and soap for oily skin or dry skin. I always have several bars in the shower and switch them out to meet the needs of my skin. Does that make any sense?

Yes, it does, my shreds at the moment are about a month old, just finished shredding them last night, they are moist, not overly so, but I did use shreds that were around 2 years old, very dry and it worked out ok, I melted, remolded them, the scent was still strong.  My shreds now are from 2 different recipes tho.

Edited by 7 Pawz

I don't shred my shreds. I just dump them in, and when I cut the bars, it cuts the shreds too. 

I just grab a couple handfuls and throw them in the batter. 

(the pic is from a soap I made about 2 years ago - apparently I like old pictures!!! LMAO) 

I like short cuts  :)

I know that using fresh shreds they have more moisture in them but they sure are a pain in the patootie to shred when moist. T

Thats true, seem to take forever to shred those  2 batches, one was 3lbs, the other about 2lbs, they had set up over a month,

Thats true, seem to take forever to shred those  2 batches, one was 3lbs, the other about 2lbs, they had set up over a month,

Oh der! Yeah, those I would shred, and yes, they are a pita because of the moisture. LOL I wouldn't put whole bars in, but I've never shredded up a full bar of soap - mine are just end pieces or shreds from beveling my bars. 

Oh der! Yeah, those I would shred, and yes, they are a pita because of the moisture. LOL I wouldn't put whole bars in, but I've never shredded up a full bar of soap - mine are just end pieces or shreds from beveling my bars. 

Those 2 batches just didn't work out, not that the soap wasn't useable tho, got them in containers, deciding when I'm going to expermient with those, meantime, hope to make my tiny bar over the weekend---won't shred if it doesn't work  :)  save it for later

I have a medium rubbermaid tub full of soap shreds that get added to all my batches. I don't throw anything away and try to alleviate waste as much as possible. My soaps are hot processed, so I add the shreds to the batter before it "cooks". I get very interesting speckles or swirls of color from the shreds. I do primitive style soap, using colorants that are natural and more subdued. I like the fact that the shreds help give my soaps visual interest but still look rustic.

I have a medium rubbermaid tub full of soap shreds that get added to all my batches. I don't throw anything away and try to alleviate waste as much as possible. My soaps are hot processed, so I add the shreds to the batter before it "cooks". I get very interesting speckles or swirls of color from the shreds. I do primitive style soap, using colorants that are natural and more subdued. I like the fact that the shreds help give my soaps visual interest but still look rustic.

Would love to see a pic of them, mine just don't look that great.