Mixing FO in the jar

Ray

Would it be possible to mix in the FO inside the jar you will be burning the candle in? Not sure if this will create air bubbles or some other issue. For example, melt your wax and as you are pouring the wax into the jar to be burned, you mix in the FO at the same time. These will be for various different scent testing.

Personally I don't think it would completely mix properly. You could end up with FO pockets, etc., Also you want your test atmosphere to be as close to the actual technique you are going to use for reproduction purposes. One variable can throw the whole thing off, and then you have to retest. 

Can you explain why you want to experiment with doing this? I also don't think it will actually save much time if that's the main factor. 

If you go ahead and try it, let us know how it turns out. 

The purpose is because right now I only have a double boiler and one pouring pot in which I melt the wax, then add the FO and then pour. I figured this way I could melt a bunch of wax in the pitcher, then pour into the jars as I add the FO. As it is now I am only melting enough wax in the pitcher to fill one jar, adding the FO and pouring. Then I need to wipe out the pitcher, melt more wax and do it all over again for every different scent. If I was to melt a bunch of wax and just mix right inside the jars it would probably actually save me some time from having to wipe out the pitcher and keep melting wax.

• Like 1

What I'm thinking is the temp of your wax is gonna lower a lot once you pour into your jar. You would have to immediately pour your wax at its highest heating temp and mix the FO at the same time to maximize the heat of the wax. Also, you should probably heat the jar just before pouring so the wax will lose less heat. Personally I don't think its a great way mix your FO and it has the potential to create more problems than is necessary.

I do know that there has been at least one other poster here who did that but I have no idea how their testing went. Who knows, it may work out for you.

• Like 1

The purpose is because right now I only have a double boiler and one pouring pot in which I melt the wax, then add the FO and then pour. I figured this way I could melt a bunch of wax in the pitcher, then pour into the jars as I add the FO. As it is now I am only melting enough wax in the pitcher to fill one jar, adding the FO and pouring. Then I need to wipe out the pitcher, melt more wax and do it all over again for every different scent. If I was to melt a bunch of wax and just mix right inside the jars it would probably actually save me some time from having to wipe out the pitcher and keep melting wax.

This is what I do only I have a wax melter. I pour just enough in my pour pot for each jar. Mix my FO and dye for each candle, pour into the jar, clean out the jar, and repeat for each candle. It takes a while but I know its been done correctly. I thought about doing them the other way, mixing FO in the jar but didn't want to risk dealing with the FO not mixing properly or at the right temp.

• Like 1

Oops! Sorry. I didn't see the part about the double boiler. My heart goes out to you. I think many of us started out using a double boiler and well.... loathing it! LOL Definitely go to Wally's or Target and get a presto or even a turkey roaster. That way you can heat a lot more wax and candle making will go faster for you!!

• Like 1

Well you could do it, but then you might run into a fragrance that's hard to incorporate. Have you figured out how much FO you would need for each pour? That could get a little tricky too. 

Yes, I have the FO figured out for the size jar, so that wouldn't be the problem!

Oops! Sorry. I didn't see the part about the double boiler. My heart goes out to you. I think many of us started out using a double boiler and well.... loathing it! LOL Definitely go to Wally's or Target and get a presto or even a turkey roaster. That way you can heat a lot more wax and candle making will go faster for you!!

Definitely got to get a presto pot...doing this way is absolutely ridiculous!

• Like 1

You have to have a measuring cup or something you could mix your wax & FO. If not, hit up the dollar store.  Mixing in the container to me is a big no, as your FO may not get incorporated to do a proper test.

I made a mistake of measuring FO in a plastic measuring cup. It seemed to turn the oil rancid (like burnt plastic) and the measuring cup was ruined and smelled nasty. I'll need to get a glass one.

You know what I hated most about using a double boiler is how long it took to heat the wax and how hard it was to maintain the heat. I also hated how the bubbling water would sometimes spill into my wax no matter how careful I tried to be. Maybe I was just not good at it like others but I came to really hate the double boiler methed. Shoot, I won't even cook with one! LOL

• Like 1

You know what I hated most about using a double boiler is how long it took to heat the wax and how hard it was to maintain the heat. I also hated how the bubbling water would sometimes spill into my wax no matter how careful I tried to be. Maybe I was just not good at it like others but I came to really hate the double boiler methed. Shoot, I won't even cook with one! LOL

It does take forever to finally reach the right temp. Extremely time consuming as well. Pain in the ass all around!

• Like 1

I used the double boiler method exactly once. ONCE. and said FFFF that. LOL (that was a candle that actually went sailing across the room - it's amazing I stuck with it as long as I did) eventually went and bought a presto and haven't looked back. 

Of course when I started there was no forums like this, no facebook, or yahoo groups so I basically bought candlemaking books and through trial and error, figured it out. 

I'm so thankful boards like this started popping up and people when willing, would share and help. It made all the difference to the "newbies" that came after me and to this day still help me a TON. 

• Like 3

That was likely the FO eating the plastic. 

Been there!

I use the plastic cups I got from my pack of Italian Ice cream cups. The leftover cups are a durable plastic and I put my FO in them just before I am ready to mix in my FO. I use them a lot over the years and they are still like new.

• Like 1

I used the double boiler method exactly once. ONCE. and said FFFF that. LOL (that was a candle that actually went sailing across the room - it's amazing I stuck with it as long as I did) eventually went and bought a presto and haven't looked back. 

Of course when I started there was no forums like this, no facebook, or yahoo groups so I basically bought candlemaking books and through trial and error, figured it out. 

I'm so thankful boards like this started popping up and people when willing, would share and help. It made all the difference to the "newbies" that came after me and to this day still help me a TON. 

I got a laugh out of picturing that candle sailing in the air!

• Like 2

Well here's the deal .. I'm not a fan of mixing FO anywhere but in the pot/presto or otherwise. However, you can makeshift on all this and get a better/faster system going even before you invest in a presto. 

Before I get to the system (because I had to do this years ago in order to pump out some product) ... You can do it the way you want, but there are too many risks/unknowns involved. Do you really want to take them?

So start looking for large canned goods or things that could withstand heat and would hold the amount of wax you need it to hold (empty them of the food content and clean them) ... make your own pot is what I'm getting at (it's not hard to take some pliers and make your own pour spout ... it's not hard with a little bit of patience I should say) ... when you're mixing with one pot, the other is melting more wax ... or you go to two burners and set a system that works for you ... pour from one and then the other etc. Right now you are in a situation where you either make do or you get creative in finding a way around your obstacles. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 3

This forum has been extremely helpful. Have been doing a lot of reading and research!

Well here's the deal .. I'm not a fan of mixing FO anywhere but in the pot/presto or otherwise. However, you can makeshift on all this and get a better/faster system going even before you invest in a presto. 

Before I get to the system (because I had to do this years ago in order to pump out some product) ... You can do it the way you want, but there are too many risks/unknowns involved. Do you really want to take them?

So start looking for large canned goods or things that could withstand heat and would hold the amount of wax you need it to hold (empty them of the food content and clean them) ... make your own pot is what I'm getting at (it's not hard to take some pliers and make your own pour spout ... it's not hard with a little bit of patience I should say) ... when you're mixing with one pot, the other is melting more wax ... or you go to two burners and set a system that works for you ... pour from one and then the other etc. Right now you are in a situation where you either make do or you get creative in finding a way around your obstacles. 

Some great ideas. Thank you.