Premier Wicks

MrsM

Hi just wanted to say I read a post by you saying how much you love premier wicks. So I did a search and every post that came up you were there lol

So I ordered some premier wicks and they finally arrived today 2 weeks later (to australia)

I will let you know how they go as Im so excited to test them...thank u

post-11966-0-35054200-1409558536_thumb.j

Edited by MrsM
  • Like 3

Just out of curiosity, OldGlory, what type of wax and container do you use? Also, have you ever double wicked with these premier wicks? I'm curious to try them as well. I use 3022 (70 soy 30 paraffin) . In relation to CD or CDN, I wonder if they burn hotter?

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Azsunset, I am currently using them in 464, and a custom blend of 6006 and 464 so that I have about 55% 464 and 45% paraffin. Now, having said this, the % used in the blend is approximate. I have also tried them in an approximate 75% soy and 25% paraffin with 6006 and 464. That's a lot of numbers, so I hope it's clear. My guess would be they would work well in your 3022.

I have never used CD or CDN wicks. I was using a paper core in my 464 before, and a zinc in my 6006 before this. Both grew mushrooms, sadly.

I have never double wicked with Premiers. I guess the containers I've used work with one wick. I have "thought process" issues with double wicking because the net result is that you are burning a mostly rectangular shape with 2 wicks, which means you overburn part and underburn the other part. I wonder if you wouldn't be better served by wicking way down and triple wicking a round container. That's a bridge I will cross when I come to it. I would love to find some pretty bowls and try my hand at a multiple wick.

I don't know what OG will say, she knows, she's been making candles for years, but that candle looks perfect to me. 

Does it have HT?

I'm pretty sure that hang-up will go down thru each additional burn. If it had a full MP at the beginning of the jar, pretty sure will be too hot at bottom of jar. Again, I'm not an expert, but the flame looks awesome, centered & no mushroom.

I gotta break out my apothecary jars now, that looks so pretty!

Hi ChandlerWicks...yes it has a great ht and the picture is the 1st burn. I just get all omg the wick is too small if I dont get a full mp. I read so many different things on mps I just have no idea what is right n wrong.

But your comment has given me hope the wick is right, I'll just keep testing, hopefully next burn it will get a full mp.

Hi ChandlerWicks...yes it has a great ht and the picture is the 1st burn. I just get all omg the wick is too small if I dont get a full mp. I read so many different things on mps I just have no idea what is right n wrong.

But your comment has given me hope the wick is right, I'll just keep testing, hopefully next burn it will get a full mp.

If you have great HT, don't worry yet. If you get a full MP on the 2nd burn, that jar may get too hot at the bottom. Only from my experience & from reading others posts. But if it does get a full MP on 2nd, maybe jar can handle it all they way down.

I know that in England the buyers want full MPs on the 1st burn, I was told this by a friend that I email with alot.  So just keep going & wishing you a happy testing experience! :icon_highfive:

• Like 1

I never want a full MP on my first or second and sometimes even 3rd burns. However, by the 3rd burn I can usually tell if a wick is going to work. By the third burn I want about 1/4th-1/8th hangup (for my 16oz Apoth's) then with the subsequent burns it will catch up and not be too hot by the time it gets down to the bottom - where it will burn hotter anyway. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

MrsM, my widest jar is 3.5 inches, straight side flint jar. One difference is that in 464 I use 5.5-6.0% FO pp. No trouble wicking this jar. You did not mention how wide that jar is at the fullest part. And, seriously, I would cut down on your FO load.

I agree with the previous posts that say your candle looks good as it is. That jar narrows at the bottom, so if you wick the jar to get a fmp at the top, the bottom half is going to be too hot and burn too quickly. My suggestion is to let it burn 4 hours at a time once a day for the next several days and see where you end up.

Keep us posted!

Edited by OldGlory

MrsM...while most agree on a 6% fo load, for soy 8% seems to work better for me as far as ct/ht goes and I've not had any problems wicking at that amount. It stands to reason on a 4" jar, that double wicking would be the way to go...might try 2-Pre 767. If you want to single wick, may I suggest a straight sided or mason jar no wider than 3 1/4"....the Pre 790 and 793 should work well with them. ECO's also work well with 464....hth.

• Like 1

Hi Imc...I took the premier out n replaced it with an eco 16 and it has a mp, a tiny mp but at least its a mp. Will lower to 7% n see if I get a better mp, but the ht from the ecos is so much stronger than the premier.

Thank u for your advice x

• Like 1

Hi Imc...I took the premier out n replaced it with an eco 16 and it has a mp, a tiny mp but at least its a mp. Will lower to 7% n see if I get a better mp, but the ht from the ecos is so much stronger than the premier.

Thank u for your advice x

CandleScience I believe recommends ECO 16 in that jar. I love 464 with ECOs & will make some this weekend to see if I can get them to work also.

• Like 1

ChandlerWicks...do you think I should stay at 8% or try lower?

Most people seem to use 8%, I have gotten very good results with 6%, maybe it's the FO. I'll dig out my apothecarys & try one of each, 6, 7 & 8% to see. If you have the time, wax & jars maybe try the same? it's such a pain, but the only way to find out for sure, use same FO, of course. :)

• Like 1