Pillars, containers, votives - Oh my...

Well, in between laundry and cleaning, I've been pouring. So far I've made 6 candy corn pillars, 4 regular Christmas scented pillars, 20 Christmas container candles, and 10 votive holders filled with the extra container wax. 

I do this every year when I'm pouring Christmas scents, and just any left over wax I have, I pour into a Christmas votive holder in layers, and call them "Christmas Present votives" then I explain that each will have it's own unique Christmas scent and with each layer a different scent will emerge. I do try to keep complimentary scents together so it won't be a pumpkin and then morph into say a strong pine or something. LOL 

People seem to love them, and I usually sell out every year.

It's a great way to get rid of that last little bit of overflow that happens when I pour containers. :) 

I still want to make up about twice this before the days done, but not sure it'll happen. 

• Like 3

Well travel eastward and you can do the 20-some pillars ... anticipate using Rustic Lodge, but might do essence of Jesus...  about 100 bath bombs and turn the incense I have to get soaking next lol! And I won't mention the logs of soap that were supposed to be done, but aren't lol.

:P yeah, no soap got done. I son't have any seasonal soaps ready for my October shows since it's already September and my first show is Oct. 4th. *sigh* I may have some made up and ready for my November shows, but it might be too late by then. IDK. I think I'll make those next week and see... LOL 

I'm in the middle of taking a break right... But I really need to get back to it... 

Same here, but I'm hampered by being on call to take a picture that is to be front page of the paper this week ... so I'm only melting wax at the moment because the minute I get in the middle of anything that phone will ring for me to go shoot. I'm a little put off by it today. I was supposed to have heard something way sooner than now so I could have a weekend to just create. And I wanna create, not make a mess loL!

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

So ambitious, you 2 girls! Today, I wanted to work on an order but I got up and looked at the stacks of boxes in my living room that will get delivered tomorrow and I said NO! There will be no pouring today.

I really like the idea of the bits of pillar wax being poured into a catch-all votive. Great idea Jcandle! I will set up a few votives when I start my pillars.

Between yesterday and today, I am positively poured OUT!

Still have to label tonight and then tomorrow pack a bundle of orders to ship Tuesday. Also holding a giveaway that ends tomorrow night. 

I SURE hope that we will get to see what you have poured and described once they can be un-molded. They sound awesome!

• Like 1

Between yesterday and today, I am positively poured OUT!

Still have to label tonight and then tomorrow pack a bundle of orders to ship Tuesday. Also holding a giveaway that ends tomorrow night. 

I SURE hope that we will get to see what you have poured and described once they can be un-molded. They sound awesome!

Oh yes, I will post pics. :) I've unmolded all the candy corn Pillars and most of the regular pillars. 

The containers are still setting up and I need to trim wicks, label and lid them. 

Great!!!!! Waiting to see pics. How did you spread out your fragrances?

Not sure I understand the question? Do you mean, how did I scent the layers? Or?

If it's how did I scent the layers, I have 3 conical shaped molds that will make an approximate 7.5 oz pillar. What I do is for my first (white) layer, I pour 8oz wax and scent it, - I will have a bit of left over wax because it's the smallest layer so I pour the excess in an embed mold. My second layer - same thing, colored orange. this layer uses all 8oz of wax across the 3 molds. Then my final layer I pour 8oz of wax again and then put the excess from the first pour into the pot and melt it along with the wax - any left over gets used for my final repour. Each layer uses .5 oz of wax. 

If that's not what you were asking, let me know. I'll answer better once I understand. :) 

Well, in between laundry and cleaning, I've been pouring. So far I've made 6 candy corn pillars, 4 regular Christmas scented pillars, 20 Christmas container candles, and 10 votive holders filled with the extra container wax. 

I do this every year when I'm pouring Christmas scents, and just any left over wax I have, I pour into a Christmas votive holder in layers, and call them "Christmas Present votives" then I explain that each will have it's own unique Christmas scent and with each layer a different scent will emerge. I do try to keep complimentary scents together so it won't be a pumpkin and then morph into say a strong pine or something. LOL 

It's a great way to get rid of that last little bit of overflow that happens when I pour containers. :) 

I still want to make up about twice this before the days done, but not sure it'll happen.

Sounds like you have had a very productive day! I really like the idea for the Christmas votive holder! Excellent idea! I have been out in the Candle Cave this weekend too...it is that time of the year and I think everyone has been chomping at the bit. :)

Edited by puma52

Sounds like you have had a very productive day! I really like the idea for the Christmas votive holder! Excellent idea! I have been out in the Candle Cave this weekend too...it is that time of the year and I think everyone has been chomping at the bit. :)

Yes, and I'm exhausted. LOL I haven't put in a full day of creating and making in a LONG time. 

I'm glad I got so much done. I'll do a little bit tomorrow but not near as much as today because I have to go to my parents house to help them around the house get some things taken care of. 

I meant did you make the same candles in each fragrance.

EX: Containers, pillars, votive in say pumpkin souffle or did you just make the one fragrance per kind.

I have a first holiday fair coming up so I am looking for ideas as to how to spread of my fragrances..

Thanks,

Edited by Mannie

I meant did you make the same candles in each fragrance.

EX: Containers, pillars, votive in say pumpkin souffle or did you just make the one fragrance per kind.

I have a first holiday fair coming up so I am looking for ideas as to how to spread of my fragrances..

Thanks,

OHhhh! LOL Sorry. 

Some I did, some I didn't. For the most part, yes, I do make the same scent in all different formats of candles I make, however, for the votives they are just a hodge podge of uneven layers of the scents I poured in containers. 

I make a pumpkin pie scent that I cannot keep when made in containers - sells out every time, however I couldn't GIVE it away in a pillar so I only made container candles of that scent. But like my Amish Harvest sells no matter what format, so I made up containers, pillars and will end up making some melts in that scent. I haven't made any melts yet because I use a completely different wax blend for that and didn't feel like blending wax yesterday other than my typical additives. LOL 

So, I guess to answer your question, it's a "it depends" sort of thing. I've been doing this for over 15 years so I sort of know (haha it always changes) what my region and customers want. 

What sells here though might be completely different than what sells where you are. 

Good luck! 

Not sure I understand the question? Do you mean, how did I scent the layers? Or?

If it's how did I scent the layers, I have 3 conical shaped molds that will make an approximate 7.5 oz pillar. What I do is for my first (white) layer, I pour 8oz wax and scent it, - I will have a bit of left over wax because it's the smallest layer so I pour the excess in an embed mold. My second layer - same thing, colored orange. this layer uses all 8oz of wax across the 3 molds. Then my final layer I pour 8oz of wax again and then put the excess from the first pour into the pot and melt it along with the wax - any left over gets used for my final repour. Each layer uses .5 oz of wax.

If that's not what you were asking, let me know. I'll answer better once I understand. :)

that should say "Each layer uses .5 oz of SCENT" Not wax. LOL 

Did you by chance get your candy corn FO from C&S? They have a really good one that works great in soy.

I love the idea of your pillars. I have been wanting to get some of those tall slender pyramid ones. I had to give up on pillars for a while cause they just don't sell around here.

C&S Candy Corn/Honey Vanilla is the only candy corn scent I've used. I've tried others, but they just seem too sweet, or not IDK candy corn scented to me. I embellish my packaging with colored pipe cleaner with a real candy corn hot glued to it (I'll try to find a pic) and to me the C&S scent is just like opening a fresh bag of candy corns. :)

Well, I can't find a picture of my candy corn packaging, so when I package these up, I'll show you. 

Anyway, here is a completely off topic picture, but it's the type of pillars I make in spring with my tall skinny pyramid mold. :)

post-200-0-09606400-1409580344_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That is adorable! Don't know that I would have the patience or the skill to make such a cute watermelon pillar. Can't wait to see the candy corn pillars.

I fell in love with C&S candy corn. Sometimes I like just burning a candy corn candle for myself around Holloween time.

That is adorable! Don't know that I would have the patience or the skill to make such a cute watermelon pillar. Can't wait to see the candy corn pillars.

I fell in love with C&S candy corn. Sometimes I like just burning a candy corn candle for myself around Holloween time.

It's super easy. I believe the tutorial is on Candletech and I just followed their directions. Just use straight pillar wax so you can get the mottling look and done. Also, it says to use beeswax for the seeds, to color it black and then stragecially place them inside the mold and pour around them. I couldn't get that to work to save my life, so I just bought a candle paint medium and some acrylic paint and painted the seeds on. :) 

For the candy corn pillars, these aren't the ones I made yesterday but they look the same. My camera is dead and I won't get pics until after I get back from my parents, so I'll show you some I made either last year or a couple years ago. I make them every year around this time. 

Everything else I made yesterday I'll take pics when I get home and my camera is charged, :) 

ETA: more information 

post-200-0-11100000-1409583350_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Like 1

C&S Candy Corn/Honey Vanilla is the only candy corn scent I've used. I've tried others, but they just seem too sweet, or not IDK candy corn scented to me. I embellish my packaging with colored pipe cleaner with a real candy corn hot glued to it (I'll try to find a pic) and to me the C&S scent is just like opening a fresh bag of candy corns. :)

Candybee - did you see? They have changed the name of it since the last time I ordered. I am running low and was going to go order more, and now it's in the skin safe category and only says Candy Corn - the Honey Vanilla in the name has been dropped. I wonder if it smells the same? 

I need some so I'm going to go ahead and order, and I'll probably get a couple more scents as well, but this has me a bit concerned at the moment. I hope it hasn't changed, or hasn't changed too much... 

• 4 years later...
On 8/31/2014 at 4:03 PM, Jcandleattic said:

... 10 votive holders filled with the extra container wax. 

First of all, I love that idea of making layered votive candles out of left over wax.

Second, so evidently it's ok or safe to actually pour the wax into a glass votive holder and use it as a small container candle? Or are you popping the votive candle out of the glass holder? Reason I'm asking is because I've wondered if you can safely use a votive holder as a container, seems like it shouldn't be a problem.