Hints for pillars

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

Not here- I just stick with 1343. I'm with Flicker on the throw. 1343 is better. I use 6% and the candles come out great every time with whatever fragrance, I have never tried 3% FO because I was afraid it wouldn't throw very well.

When I tried the 1274 for more consistent mottling, the throw was not as good but the mottling was better.

I think you'll be ok blending the two but you don't really need to unless you are trying to finish up the 1274. Just curious why do you want to blend them?

Your 3 x 6.5 mold- I think holds somewhere between 22 and 27 ounces of wax- I'm not sure on the exact number since I use this mold but I only use a pound of wax at a time. The size of this mold is wonderful though. I love it. If your curious, for me, with most scents, I use a 1/0 square braid. I can get away with a 2/0 square braid with some scents but not all that many.

I would try a blend to get a better throw plus some mottling. Heck, I will try anything once or twice.

Thanks for the wicking information and the suggestion on 1343.

The 3x3.5 rounds for me hold about 12.5 oz of treated wax (FO plus stearic for me) ... The 3x6.5 if memory serves me right varied between 22 and 24 oz ... this is in solid form. The difference was in how much shrinkage I had to deal with. 

I'd try the two together. 

As for FO, I go 1 oz pp. As long as I have enough stearic in there I don't get weepage. I don't tend to get mottle either, but I generally am not trying for it. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I am unable to edit the previous post.

The fragrances, left to right, are Hawaiian Sandalwood from RE with a bit of Pinion Pine mixed in (it's very earthy), Autumn Leaves from BCN, and Black Currant Tea from RE (I think it's RE but might be Candle Science).

I did not have stearic acid and found that 6% FO was way too much - really seeped out of the wax. The frozen washcloth idea was BRILLIANT!

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm on my way.

Guest OldGlory

More pillars - I am having WAY too much fun.

first one is 1274, frozen mold, no treatment on the bottom, cranberry spice

second one is 1343, frozen mold, frozen rag on the bottom, gingerbread

third is 1274, room temp mold, frozen rag on only the middle layer, blackberry sage

fourth is 1343, frozen mold, frozen rag on other pours, Muir Woods

post-9734-0-15215200-1410538095_thumb.jp

post-9734-0-35969400-1410538240_thumb.jp

post-9734-0-81208400-1410538365_thumb.jp

post-9734-0-09732500-1410538473_thumb.jp

third is 1274, room temp mold, frozen rag on only the middle layer, blackberry sage

Those are beautiful! Aren't they addicting?

Weird that you had FO seep- never has happened to me. So weird how different people have different results. 

Awesomesauce! Really Purdy!

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Thanks. I have a lot to learn still.

They are terribly addicting because each one is a surprise. I suppose the ones I pour into room temp molds will be more predictable.

And, I forgot how much fun they are to burn, how long they last, and how much I can enjoy less fragrance.

Overall, a very satisfying experience thanks to everyone's help.

Oh GIRL!!!!!   Those ARE BEAUTIMOUS!!!! :) Awesome job there !!! 

Beautiful job Old Glory....One is as nice as the other....I like the green one on the far right - "Muir Woods".......What kind of fragrance is that anyway?  Such a beautiful name....hmmmm

Trappeur

Guest OldGlory

Thanks for the kind words, Trappeur. I am still in my learning curve.

Muir Woods is part green/pine type and part wood type, a custom blend, named in part for John Muir, a famous American naturalist and conservationist. It fits the blend perfectly.

Thanks Scented. Does the stearic effect the way the wax acts against the metal mold?

Enough of it will. Primarily stearic will strengthen the wax and add opacity to the candle. The rustic formula is typically three heaping T of stearic to a pound of wax. It's the coolness of the mold and wax that helps cause the effect. 

• Like 1

Fascinating post.  Well, Berts is out of business but she did have some awesome forrest scents.  And they did go well with higher than normal FO to wax ratios.

If anyone can figure out what she did, please, let us all know.

I'm guessing that forrest scents would work.

As for color, think upside down.  I can't find a video so I'll try to describe how to make it.....

If you want a 3 inch wide by 4 1/2 inch tall piller (or any similar shape)...

Use the right mold, load your wick and seal it on the closed end, use a wick holder on the open end. 

Make your wax with whatever additives you want and whatever piller wax you choose...

Add your FO.  Stir.

Pour a half inch into the mould.

Let it cool just a bit.  Add some light blue dye to yer pot.  Not much, keep it light.  Pour a little more.

Take your mold and tilt it one in all four directions.  DOn't swirl it, just tilt it to you, away from you, to the right, to the left.  Go have a piece of salami and relax for 2 minutes and repeat.

THen darken the blue.  Pour a bit more.  Rotate the mold just a bit and tilt towards and away and right and left. 

THen add some darker color, green,

Add more mix and repeat.

Then darker color, brown,  Repeat

Then maybe get it really dark and repeat.

If you do it right, it will be black or very dark brown on the bottom and white on top.