Did something change with 4786?

I don't know if it's just me or what. 4786 used to be my stand by wax, my old faithful that always threw any scent and burned great. 

I don't make candles all the time but I make them for personal use and special soap customers that I have. I love to play with wax- I'm pretty much bored with soap but I worked hard for my client base and I love my customers. I just go through burned out periods.

Anywho, I recently got a slab of 4786, made a couple of candles, cured them a few days and no HT. Huh? What? CT is great but no damn hot throw. The candles are burning great. I use wu zincs of Lx's whichever I have around. The fo's throw amazing in soy but not 4786. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

I'm not sure what I could have done wrong. 

I  mix my FO somewhere between 185-190 and pour somewhere between 170-175.

Any idea what could be wrong? Is it something I did?

Any help would be appreciated! TIA!

Hi Danni,

I LOVE the 4786 wax! It is my mainstay also! Your 4786 ought to be throwing like crazy. I have veered away from the the regular instructions on this wax and it has served me very well. I heat my wax to between 155 and 160 (165 at most if it is really cool in the candle cave) (color and UV powder already in pot), add my scent, stir like crazy for 30-60 seconds ( a little longer if vanilla is in the scent)and pour in my jars. I use the zinc wicks. I know heat is the devil on our scents....heat? need to change to another wick? Is candle scent pretty new? I do not know what else it might be. I hope I helped and hope through some tweaking, you get your wonderful 4786 hot throw back. :)

Oh please, I hope there is no funky batch of 4786 going around; that is my main wax, love it!  Have you tried asking someone else to test the finished product?  Are you sure candle-nose isn't involved?

I use zinc wicks, but if you've always used the WU and the LX wick with good results, you may have to look at the other variables.

Hi Danni,

I LOVE the 4786 wax! It is my mainstay also! Your 4786 ought to be throwing like crazy. I have veered away from the the regular instructions on this wax and it has served me very well. I heat my wax to between 155 and 160 (165 at most if it is really cool in the candle cave) (color and UV powder already in pot), add my scent, stir like crazy for 30-60 seconds ( a little longer if vanilla is in the scent)and pour in my jars. I use the zinc wicks. I know heat is the devil on our scents....heat? need to change to another wick? Is candle scent pretty new? I do not know what else it might be. I hope I helped and hope through some tweaking, you get your wonderful 4786 hot throw back. :)

Hi Puma,

I'm going to follow your directions right now in fact! Wish me luck. I could have soap nose but I haven't really made that much. My family leaves the house for the day and can hardly smell the candles. Maybe this batch of wax doesn't like the high heat that I'm adding the fo at, no idea. All I know is this is my go to wax when I want almost instant scent gratification. :-) I mess with the soy and para soy just to learn about them, paraffin is my favorite. 

Hey Ravens- I would assume it's more me than a bad batch of wax. This is what happens when a soap maker makes candles even just for fun. LOL The Wu's I use are Zinc's, I have regular zinc's from Peak as well. The Wu's are a nice wick. :-) I don't know about the cotton ones though.

Thank you both and I will report back. I'm using a definite in your face scent- Pumpkin Brulee so hopefully the wax works with me today.  How long do you guys cure? I usually do 3 days- is that enough?

Edited by Danni5173
  • Like 1

Hi Puma,

I'm going to follow your directions right now in fact! Wish me luck. I could have soap nose but I haven't really made that much. My family leaves the house for the day and can hardly smell the candles. Maybe this batch of wax doesn't like the high heat that I'm adding the fo at, no idea. All I know is this is my go to wax when I want almost instant scent gratification. :-) I mess with the soy and para soy just to learn about them, paraffin is my favorite. 

Hey Ravens- I would assume it's more me than a bad batch of wax. This is what happens when a soap maker makes candles even just for fun. LOL The Wu's I use are Zinc's, I have regular zinc's from Peak as well. The Wu's are a nice wick. :-) I don't know about the cotton ones though.

Thank you both and I will report back. I'm using a definite in your face scent- Pumpkin Brulee so hopefully the wax works with me today.  How long do you guys cure? I usually do 3 days- is that enough?

Yes, please let us know how it went Danni. :) Yes 3 days is plenty enough, but I have finished up candles and sold them before the 3 days was up....LOVE this wax!! Been using it for 14 years now and won't ever be looking for anything else to use as a container wax ..... :)

• Like 2

Hey Ladies-

Thank you so much. :-) Puma, your method worked like a charm. I'm doing it that way from now on. 

I told you Ravens, operator error and thankfully not bad wax. :)

Thank you both again! I really appreciate it!

Yea!!! You go girl!!! :)

Regardless of the wax, it's the scent that needs to cure after the initial 24-48 hours. Some scents just don't do well in some waxes and some scents can take up to 2 full weeks to cure in any wax, 4786 included.

Remember small jars = smaller scent (diameter)
And that scent comes from melted wax, so if it's not achieving a complete melt or it's not deep enough (it should be 1/4" but no more than 1/2" against the glass) it will not be optimal. :)