Vegan sub for lanolin butter

Candybee

I may have found my own answer to this. So far what I'm finding is that cupuacu butter, grapeseed oil, shea butter, and rice bran oil offer similar properties. What I am looking for is to duplicate the same moisture barrier effect of lanolin only in with a vegan ingredient.

If you have any subs you would like to share it would help. Thanks.

BTW-- other subs I have found are mineral oil or petrolatum but I am not interested in using these.

Edited by Candybee

I was just going to say the only ones I know of are like a petroleum jelly type oil or Shea comes close but IMO not close enough... 

I don't use lanolin. In my tests it always left me with a sticky/tacky feel so I dumped it. 

Plus we used to raise sheep and the natural lanolin off of their wooley coats was just very very gross feeling. I hated it, and it was really hard to wash off. 

I use lanolin in my shave soaps and you can really tell the difference in the lovely moisture barrier anhydrous lanolin creates. Perfect for close shave and leaves the skin feeling baby soft and moist.

But I want to offer a vegan choice for those allergic to wool products. So no lanolin.

I am looking hard at trying out shea butter. I will be adding it after the cook as a 'superfat' oil hoping it will create a similar effect. I will also be adding a bit of liquid glycerine after the cook which also helps retain moisture and hopefully together they will simulate the lanolin.

In my mind my experience with grapeseed and rice bran oils says those won't do the job.

I have no experience with cupuacu butter. But I like what I am reading about it.

I know a lot of people who use Shea in their shave soaps because of the stearic value it brings, but alas, I have never made one, so that's as much of my advice and knowledge on the subject as I can give. 

Good luck! Hope you find a suitable replacement! :) 

BTW - I've never even heard of cupuacu butter, so obvs no experience with that either... 

From Nature With Love carries it. https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=BUTCUPRFBR243

I am blown away by its description. Note how it compares to lanolin.

Its pricey thou. I did a quick cost estimate and actually it could still be cost effective for me as I only use 5% or less in my recipe. Its something to consider. But I don't like that they are the only supplier I have found so far that carries it. That could be a problem if they are OOS or close up suddenly.

Good luck CB but I read some pretty convincing arguments on the qualities of lanolin. I use it sparingly and think that maybe its real value is in other cosmetic applications,as it has no real property other than as a layer of protection on the skin by its nature. Mango butter or a combo of Argan and Mango might be another alternative but a greasy one. HTH

Steve

• Like 1

Candy there are several other places that have cupuacu butter:  Ingredients To Die For, New Directions, Camden Grey, Soap Goods & Wholesales Supplies Plus.  They are also about $10.00 a lb. cheaper than From Nature With Love.  I've used it before and it's really nice in CP soap. 

• Like 1

Good luck CB but I read some pretty convincing arguments on the qualities of lanolin. I use it sparingly and think that maybe its real value is in other cosmetic applications,as it has no real property other than as a layer of protection on the skin by its nature. Mango butter or a combo of Argan and Mango might be another alternative but a greasy one. HTH

Steve

This! It works in spades this way. I have tried my shave soap with and without lanolin. With lanolin really makes that difference in a shave soap. It creates a nice skin barrier effect, helps with slip, protects the skin, and helps retain moisture. Without it its okay but doesn't have that WOW factor when lanolin is added. BTW-- I only use about 1 oz for a 2 lb batch and add it after my cook. A little goes a long way.

I've tried lanolin in my regular bath soap recipes and didn't care for it.

I think stuff like balms and shave soaps may be the exception.