Is this a drowning candle?

Hi all - I have a consistent problem with a few fragrances.  

I've been reading some help guides but not sure what is considered a drowning wick.  There is one scenario where it says it's consuming too much wax so wick down, and another where it says it's drowning so wick up.  

How do I tell, Is this considered a drowning wick?

This fragrance is orange and goji berry.  It is running 2 x HTP 73's.  The melt pool is half an inch in this picture.  It burnt great, with a melt pool over an inch when we first lit it.  Now just under half way it's died out.  I get the same issue with Vanilla, Leather and Sandlewood and the French Pear.  All do the same, just at different points.

The coconut and lime seemed to burn fine, it was perfect with 2 X HTP 72s

post-14685-0-78876200-1409125177_thumb.j

Hello Crvella,

You are way over wicked meaning the 2 wicks are too big.

.  What jar is that and what is the widest dimention on the jar?

Depending on the size of the jar you might be able to single wick it.

If you could keep the melt pool about 3/8" deep that would be good.

Also what wax are you using?

Trappeur

• Like 1

Yep, that is a pretty deep melt pool (looks more line an inch than half inch to me, but that could just be the pic) - that glass will just get hotter the further down it burns. 

I double wick in a 16oz Apotho, but I use the 2 smallest wicks I can get away with for that jar and my wax. I just could never get a single wick to work for me, the way I wanted to see a candle burn. But every chandler's experiences vary. 

As other's have said, try single wicking and if you don't like the way it burns, try wicking down with the double wicks. 

Guest OldGlory

That's a Ball mason jar - looks like it might be a wide mouth.

An inch deep melt pool is not desireable. Strive for a full melt pool 1/2" deep or less.

Two resources I suggest: Wickit.net, TIPS; and CANDLE WICK on wikipedia. Between the 2 you get a pretty thorough explanation of how a wick works.

Wow thanks everyone for the reply.  I didn't get an email telling me there were replies so I've just thought to jump on now and check.

Yeah it's definitely only 1/2".  The picture is very deceiving.

It's a mason jar, pint wide mouth.

So this is not a drowning wick then?  I don't understand why it's going out half way down then.  \

I'm using 4627 with 25% natural wax.  I read that 4627 you always have to wick up, and given it's a 3" diameter and a HTP 52 renders a 1.5 inch pool, I tried wicking up and started testing from 62 through to 82.  They all die out half way down.

Hello Crvella,

You are way over wicked meaning the 2 wicks are too big.

.  What jar is that and what is the widest dimention on the jar?

Depending on the size of the jar you might be able to single wick it.

If you could keep the melt pool about 3/8" deep that would be good.

Also what wax are you using?

Trappeur

Hi Trappeur

The jar is a 3" diameter wide mouth mason jar.

I've tried single wicking but the wick soots heaps.  I wicked it with a CDN 24, and I get around a 1cm melt pool but constant sooting issues. and it gets extremely hot! hotter than the two HTP 72's

If I keep the melt pool to 1cm (3/8") then I wont get much hot throw will I?  I've always read that you aim for 1"

The wax is 75% 4627 with 25% natural wax.

Are you suggesting that the too big of a wicking it causing the drowning, or are you saying that in general that is too high?

Thanks again, people on this board are so helpful!

Guest OldGlory

I don't know - but I think your wick might be suffocating. Not enough oxygen for both of those wicks to burn properly.

Are you trimming your wick after your test burn?