tempering wax

Hi all

I was just doing some reading and stumbled across a post on tempering soy wax.  It didn't mention the benefits and whether or not you should temper paraffin.

Can someone tell me what the benefits of tempering the wax, and can you temper paraffin.  Particularly IGI 4627?

I've never tempered my paraffin, and don't think there would be a benefit in it. Just an extra unnecessary step IMO. 

Mostly you temper the natural waxes to get a smoother look with less frosting and bumping (paraffin doesn't typically get frosting or bumping unless too many additives have been added and tempering wouldn't help that anyway) 

HTH

Guest OldGlory

I use 464 and I temper this wax. People tell me all the time that I should not need to do it, but if I could avoid the step I swear I would.

So I pour my candles, leaving a little bit of wax in the pouring pitcher - enough to add 1/4 inch to the top of the candles. Let the candles cool, heat up the remaining wax - slowly! - and then allow that wax to cool just to a very creamy stage. Seriously, it looks like dyed cream. Then I top off my candles with the tempered wax and get a beautiful finish.

You can do that to the entire pitcher of wax, but why?

Guest OldGlory

Seriously, I am just that type A personality. Life would be a lot easier if that wasn't the case. I like your idea much better Candybee  :)

I use 464 and I temper this wax. People tell me all the time that I should not need to do it, but if I could avoid the step I swear I would.

So I pour my candles, leaving a little bit of wax in the pouring pitcher - enough to add 1/4 inch to the top of the candles. Let the candles cool, heat up the remaining wax - slowly! - and then allow that wax to cool just to a very creamy stage. Seriously, it looks like dyed cream. Then I top off my candles with the tempered wax and get a beautiful finish.

You can do that to the entire pitcher of wax, but why?

OG, That does sound like a good technique.  I made many all 464 candles and really did not have too many issues with frosting, I guess I was doing something right there or was just lucky, but I do remember I would sometimes see pits around the wick as burning down.  And I do remember running out of patience to get the throw right, LOL.  One day I will get back to it, love the creamy colors of soy wax.  

oh ok - so tempering doesn't add any more burn characteristics or anything like that?  I shouldn't bother with my paraffin / natural wax blend?

That's right! You don't need to temper parasoy. That's one of the perks of a good parasoy wax blend. It should reduce frosting and bumpy tops characteristic of soy while minimizing wet spots typical of paraffin. So you get the best of both waxes and a great H&C throw.

Edited by Candybee