Differences between FOs and suggested percentage use

I recently ordered a large amount of 4627 wax --I got a deal too good to pass up. I had previously played around with a sample amount of it in addition to 6006, 4630 and 4633. I have seen a lot of information about how much FO to add, anywhere from 6% or 1oz per pound all the way up to 10 or 12%. It seems the general consensus is that 10/12% is overkill. I am a veteran MP soapmaker and have a large amount of FOs that are skin-safe but can also be used in candles. I know all FOs are different and require a lot of testing depending on the wax and wick used, but Is it safe to make the general assumption that "candle only" FO is the strongest and therefore best to use at 6% while FOs that are skin-safe are weaker and may need to be used at a higher percentage like 8%?

I've never had to use more than 6% FO in any candle I've made (most of the time I can use 5% with no problems), whether it's a skin safe FO or not. 

I've had FO's that were not skin safe, designated candle only, that would not throw no matter what I did, and some skin safe FO's that were very weak or faded in B&B applications but blow the doors off while burning in a candle. 

I really think it depends on type of FO, supplier and manufacturer, and doesn't really have a whole lot to do with whether it's skin safe or not. 

• Like 4

Guest OldGlory

I would not assume that the candle only fragrances are stronger in wax than soap safe fragrances.

One of the differences between not skin safe and skin safe is how the ingredients react on the skin. Some ingredients are known irritants.

And, like Jcandle, I use a 5.5% - 6% FO load in my candles. You might have a fragrance that won't throw at 5% or 8% or 11%. And you might have a fragrance that will throw better at 4% than 10%. Every fragrance oil is different and requires thorough testing for throw and for wicking.

And, suppliers of fragrance oils will change their formulation and not tell anyone, so you have to test continuously.

Some of my best sellers and strongest FO's are from Sweetcakes, which is mostly for soap & B & B.  I usually use 3% to 6% in my parasoy blend wax for a very strong candle.  It's great cause I can have a soap & candle in the same scent and my customers love it. 

Like everyone else said, testing is the only way to know how a FO will work for your wax.  Good luck and have fun!!  :)

• Like 2

I agree with what others have said. I make both candles and CP soap and believe me I have to buy many FOs that do double duty in both. If you think wax is finicky try CP soapmaking using FOs. If a FO can survive the lye process and curing process and still go strong chances are it will be awesome in my wax. I use crystal container palm wax.

Wanted to add I hope you are using skin safe/soap safe FOs at 3% in M&P and not using at 6%. If you already are just ignore this.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I am glad that there are more wax blends that can hold higher amounts of FOs. That makes me glad to know that if I do add more than my usual 6% the wax will be able to hold it without the dreaded FO seepage we used to see in the past with the older waxes.

I know there are a lot of chandlers out there that think the more FO they add the stronger the hot throw will be. But that is simply not the case. In fact, it usually works the opposite. If your FO is not throwing well in your wax at 6% or less you need to test another or retest your wicking.

Their are only one or two FOs in my entire line of candles that I may add more than 6% FO. In there cases I use 8%. They are the exception and not the rule.

Since I sell candles I also have to look at my bottom line. Any FO that is not pulling its weight at 6% has to go. There are plenty out there to replace it and its not cost effective to use a higher % of FO for an entire line of candles.

• Like 2