Shape of the jar

I have done some reading and I am wondering what is everyones favorite jar in order to get an awesome hot throw.  I want to keep the diameter about 3 inches, and I dont want to double wick. I was looking at the Libbey vibe, or the balmoral or an apothecary. I use now a straight sided heavy rocks glass. I love the glass because it can go contemporary. But I am second guessing if it hinders the ht. It is a straight sided jar and is there any truth to that having a neck on the jar makes a better ht?

I personally have not seen a jar with a neck having a better throw and actually have seen the necks as being soot collectors.  I've used straight sided jars for many years and get great throw.  I use Libbey cylinder jars and do double wick.  The quality of your oils and what wax you use is the biggest problem for not getting a good throw. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Totally agree with ChrisR, even on the tendency of a narrowed neck collecting more soot. I think back to all the Yank*me apothecary jars I've had over the years and the sooting. Yikes! I like a wide, open surface the best - like an 8 oz tin.

For a lot of us that sell its not always about what you like. My customers want 'countryfied' type jars like jelly jars, mason jars, and straight sided 'salsa' jars. I've never had a problem with throw other than if the FO turned out to be a dud or low thrower. But thats why we test our FOs. I've had good throw with apothecary jars and bulb jars and hex jars. To me its more about finding the right jar my customers want and making the best candle I can. I guess I haven't really found a jar I can't get a good throw with as long as the candle it wicked properly and I am using quality ingredients like the wax, additives, and FOs. But smaller necked jars do tend to show up soot much easier so I tend to stir clear of those.

• Like 1

Good to know! I do get a great throw off Peaks red currant. The one I am testing that is giving me problems is Southwest leather. I love this scent, because it smells like a saddle leather instead of like a leather coat. But am wanting to find a stronger leather. Any ideas?

Cost. I will say that the type of lid is a major consideration on sales. I found that the plastic fitment types were too hard for customers to take off and put back on. I use a type of screw on lid called a lug type. Lugs aren't real pretty but they are functional and less expensive. High end companies can afford to pour up a candle in a fine tumbler with no lid and put it in a beautiful box and charge $40.00 but I can't. I wish my customers would buy Masons but they aren't into prim or country stuff, so I use 12 and 16 oz salsa straight sided (flint) jars with a gold lug lid. HTH

Steve