Fragrance Duds

j1workman

Phew. Its nice to know others do the same. Yes I have made a few stinkers but I did get a really nice citrus fusion blend with one. Its a blend of Flicker's old Sahara (discontinued I think) with Elements/Flickers Sea Island Grapefruit. I added some lemongrass and litsea cubeba EOs to it. Its wonderful! I had enough leftover oils to make a full lb for soaping. That will last me for a while.

I made another one I CP with. I just threw all my samples of men's cologne types plus my leftovers/samples of pine, spruce, etc. types together. Made about a half lb of a woodsy forest men's cologne type scent. Its very nice in CP.

I just love it when I get something right! Makes me feel like a mad scientist. Bwahahahahahaaa!

• Like 4

Sometimes I mix outlandish concoctions just to see what scents they will make.

I just threw all my samples of men's cologne types plus my leftovers/samples of pine, spruce, etc. types together....

Ha! I'm in the process of going through all of my unused 1 oz samples from at least a half dozen (probably more) companies, consolidating the same types, e.g. several Cinnamons from different vendors, I'm hoping it will inspire me to make something out of them! FoHo hoarder here!    *hiding*

Since most of these are weak scents, it might fun to try and mix a few and see what I get!  Thanks for the ideas...  I guess since the fragrance houses discontinued most of the ones I still have goes to show they weren't so great for them either!!!  I got those when I was a young candlemaker and didn't do samplers first!

Thats how I started. I had a ton of 1oz sample bottles and some leftover fragrances with only 1-5 oz left in the bottles. I sorted out the 'similar' types and just started combining scents together.

One other good one I came up with for last fall was a Gingerbread Brulee. I threw my samples and leftover scents of gingerbreads, some vanillas and some creme brulee. It wasn't the greatest but I had enough for a couple cases of candles and sold them all.

I think of it as a creative way to sell my unused FOs instead of tossing them out.

• Like 1

I think people get tired of the same old thing all the time - (notice BBW and Body shop are always switching out scents??) I mean, yeah, have a few standards, like vanilla, lavender, etc., but also to be able to offer something completely different than the vendor 3 stalls down? 

That helps. At least in my cluttered mind it does... LOL Which is why I love mixing scents. 

• Like 1

Never throw anything away! NEVER! I can't tell you how many times that some item has been used at a later date for a totally different purpose. Some fos wind up in melt applications or in a m&p guest soap. They may not make it in a candle or cp applicaton but can be helpful for some in general testing applications like making fragrance jelly or beads. My shop is stacked with all kinds of items that may or may not get used but I promise you that sometime I'll be thinking of how something might be packaged or I think that might work. Besides, I have no intentions of throwing away what's left of my bottle of GL Magic Of India!

• Like 1

Also, just a quick FYI - FO MSDS shows them as not hazardous material and technically speaking can be thrown in your garbage. With that being said, I would never just throw more than .5-1oz of fragrance in my trash can, but it is very very rare that I ever need too. 

I have only had one FO ever go off/bad/smell funny - and that oil was almost 9 years old when I had to throw it. 

• Like 1

I have only had a few box office bombs in the way of fragrance oils and I also blend them to see what can be salvaged. On most occasions, a blend did the trick. I do always hold onto the lousy oil though to remind me NEVER to go that route again.

Guest OldGlory

I have a ton that went rank...I mean eating they the plastic and labels completely unreadable

What do you do woth those? My township only does a hazardous drop off once a year and the closest center I can find is 2 hours away

You might be able to put them in a larger disposable container with cat litter. I live out in the country and we are asked to dispose of paint this way.

I have a ton that went rank...I mean eating they the plastic and labels completely unreadable

What do you do woth those? My township only does a hazardous drop off once a year and the closest center I can find is 2 hours away

We take ours to the hazardous waste part of our county dump. While technically they probably could be tossed in the trash, we've heard of people getting in trouble for doing so. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't sale something I knew had gone bad, but I would sell one that didn't appeal to me.  There have been many times when I thought something was terrible, someone else loved it, and vice versa! You just never know what someone else might like. I've given tons of samples away that I knew i would never use because I didn't care for the way they smelled but the person I gave them to absolutely loved them.