WTH?!!! ANTS!!

Has this ever happened to anyone? I had 2-10lb slabs of 3022 still sealed in the cardboard box it was shipped in with packing tape, stored in a plastic, closed bin. I went to open a new slab and found the inside of container covered with black ants...I took it outside, sprayed all the ants, then opened up the sealed boxes and both slabs were just covered in ants. Needless to say, all 20lbs and bin were tossed into trash and a serious vacuuming and spraying commenced. This wax had been stored for about 3 months in my bdrm...I moved the bed, dresser, everything and I found no traces of food or wrappers or anything and only the wax had ants.

Is it because the wax may have a blend of veggie oils? This never happened with C3 or the paraffins :/

Guest OldGlory

I have no experience with 3022, but the very first wax I used attracted mice. When I inquired (with the supplier) I found out that the very wax I was using was also used in making PIZZA DOUGH. YIKES. My belief is that with natural waxes come problems you might expect with foods.

However, in your situation, it almost sounds like the ants came with the wax. I would definitely talk to the supplier.

I was in that bin a month ago and there were no ants at that time. The only thing I can think of is the veggie oils in the blend must've went bad or something, idk...weird. Pretty upset about having to trash all that wax though, now I'm afraid to order more :/

Dawn, let me know how yours is when you open it, very curious!

I had a strawberry candle sitting on my chest of draws in my bedroom and it had ants all over it...I thought it might be the sweet strawberry smell that attracted them? Its the only ant problem Ive had.

I did sprinkle ant sand behind my chest and Ive had nothing since.

Bummer you had to throw it out :(

• Like 1

I use 3022 but order directly from Clarus. Critters (mice, roaches, ants) love to eat wax or just hang out on it. I always check my shipments to make sure there's nothing wrong. It sounds like the critters were in the sealed area and someone owes you 20 pounds of wax. HTH

Steve

I am sorry for your inconvenience.  I don't have an explanation for you on this.

We have never had a problem with ants, bugs, critters etc.  I have left test candles outside - in the rain even - for several weeks and never seen any interest from any bugs.  

Was the shipping material damaged or have any  holes? What else was shipped with the wax - any fragrance perhaps? If this came via UPS - perhaps there was something in the truck that was of interest to insects.  

If the vegetable components were bad/rancid, you would know it.  There would be a distinct oder.  We have never had a batch of 3022 go "bad".  If you know the batch number of this wax, I would be happy to trace it to see if anyone else using the batch reported any issues.

Hi Brad, No...there were no holes or tears on the packaging but the wax was definetely different, had splotches of pale yellow covering over it. Even though it was stored inside still sealed in original packaging, it is VERY hot through the summer months and it's anyone's guess what may have happened. Definetely a first for me though lol. I will however, check my wax as soon as it comes in before I store it from now on.