Backwoods Oils

sandy511

That is my problem with Backwoods...I just love love her oils but I for some reason or another just can't get them to throw for me.  Except the mac apple which is super....I've always used 6%.....I'm going to try upping the scent.  Do you see a big difference Moonshine?

Trappeur

I notice a huge difference in using 1 ounce vs. 1.5 ounces per pound in most fragrances with 415- 1 ounce per pound which I believe comes to around 6% just does not work for me for throw

Some oils though I have to cut it back or I run into wicking problems and if I can't get a good throw doing that I scrap the oil and move on

Some oils are just so strong I can get away with 1.25 ounces- but not very many

Sounds like backwoods just isn't soy friendly- have either of you tried them in a parasoy or paraffin to see if they throw well in that?

I used to use a parasoy blend and had no problem with her honey gingerbread at 6%. It is strong in my parasoy. Now with palm I have to cut back its so strong or blend it with something else to tone it down.

I've used other oils but mostly in soaping so don't know how they work in soy.

Edited by Candybee

I should add also that a lot of people that use soy do not use this much FO but for me I can't get the throw I want with less

Everybody smells scent different - some people say mine are to strong and others say they are perfect compared to other soy candles they buy that they can't smell at all- but I like them as strong as I can get them so I make them that way....I do offer a lot of lighter scents that are not as overpowering as well

Thanks for sharing  :) 

It can be very frustrating, but if it was easy, everyone would would be doing it, right?  Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much!  I am just so grateful we have this AWESOME forum to pick each other's brains & share each other's skills/notes/trials & errors .....much appreciated :) 

I notice a huge difference in using 1 ounce vs. 1.5 ounces per pound in most fragrances with 415- 1 ounce per pound which I believe comes to around 6% just does not work for me for throw

Some oils though I have to cut it back or I run into wicking problems and if I can't get a good throw doing that I scrap the oil and move on

Some oils are just so strong I can get away with 1.25 ounces- but not very many

Sounds like backwoods just isn't soy friendly- have either of you tried them in a parasoy or paraffin to see if they throw well in that?

No, I've never tried a paraffn or parasoy.....The thought of keeping my counters clean with something else aside from soap and water just turns me off. lol

And the price of a 50pound block of paraffin and chiseling away with a knife gets me tired just thinking about it.....I've always wanted to try it....Maybe some day...

Trappeur

Trappeur container paraffin can be sliced through with a knife. Its the pillar slabs you can break up with a couple of hammer shots. Its actually quite easy to work with once you know how. You should try paraffin sometime even if you don't want to sell it. Its hard to explain but some FOs work best in paraffin, while some work best in soy. Making a parasoy blend you get the best of both.

Moonshine I know what you mean about making the scent strong to your nose in your candles. I like mine the same. I still get some people who complain its too strong and some are the opposite. You just can't please everyone so I make what I think is best and what my customers tend to buy a lot of.

• Like 1