Christmas Tree or Pine Scent

katie

I forgot to mention that there isn't any eucalyptus in this scent either.  If there was, I wouldn't be so in love with this scent as I can't stomach any eucalyptus.....

Trapper

The BBW Fresh Balsam mentions notes of eucalyptus also, but I don't detect any. The thing I do notice is a sweet, faint muskiness that I love!

Personally I like eucalyptus. Maybe thats why I love CS Mistletoe so much! You can really detect the eucalyptus in there.

Have you ever had a eucalyptus and spearmint soap? Divine!! Eucalyptus is gooooood. LOL

Edited by Candybee

The BBW Fresh Balsam mentions notes of eucalyptus also, but I don't detect any. The thing I do notice is a sweet, faint muskiness that I love!

You know Mz I looked up the description on Filmore and they said there is a hint of the eucalyptus in it...but like you said too, I don't detect it.  But your right it definitely has a slight faint touch of sweetness to it.

Trappeur

YES, YES, YES!!! That is it! I have little balsam fir sachets from a trip to the Adirondacks 30 years ago, and my in-laws live in Maine now so they send us a fresh balsam wreath every year for Christmas, some years I strip the dried needles and save them for a while. That is exactly what the BBW Slatkin Fresh Balsam smells like! I am beyond happy that the Fillmore fragrance smells just like that! This has made my year!!!! :woowoo:

Funny you mentioned getting a wreath every year from Maine from your inlaws, as my sister from Maine sends one to me every year too! lol

I still have last years hanging....it's a little (well, a lot) dried out and not green anymore, but it hangs on my porch every year till I get my new one from my sister... Sisterly love.....I live for that...

Trappeur

• Like 1

Personally I like eucalyptus. Maybe thats why I love CS Mistletoe so much! You can really detect the eucalyptus in there.

Have you ever had a eucalyptus and spearmint soap? Divine!! Eucalyptus is gooooood. LOL

No, can't say that I have ever had a soap like that.....it sounds nice though.  I do like real eucalyptus in wreaths and they smell so awesome but I don't care to smeall a candle like....that's just me....I guess that is why I never cared for CS mistletoe because of the eucalyptus it it.  Never thought of it that way.

Trappeur

Trapp, thanks for the offer, that's really kind of you. I LOVE the little pillows with fir needles, bought one from a store in Waynesville years ago. I will take your word for it and order some. That's one of my favorite fragrances ever. I'll share it with my local candlemaking pals :)

Your most welcome!  I don't think you will be disappointed at all....geesh I hope not.....!  Well, if you are, you won't be out any money as I'll buy it from you.....Geesh it's been years since I went to Waynesville!  That's a beautiful little quaint town.  I remember going through it on my way to the GA mountains where I live and going through all the little shops.  I even contemplated on moving there at one time.

Trappeur

Ok, back when this thread was first posted I quick like a bunny ordered some samples, the first one I received was the Fillmore fo, I knew it was the best immediately. Now the other orders have been trickling in, the second order was from the Candle Source, I got a sample of the Oregon Pine Needle and decided to try some of the Sugared Spruce. Now the Sugared Spruce didn't even compare to ICS's (my favorite by far!) and I wasn't too impressed with the Oregon Pine Needle. So I mixed the two together and I was totally surprised that I like it! Not as much as Fillmore's though, but it's nice. Just an fyi for the other mad scientist mixers out there! :D

Edited by mzpickles
  • Like 1

My go to FOs for pine/forest type scents are:

Candles: Fillmore's Christmas Tree and CS Mistletoe (for that lovely sinus relief and fresh cut wreath scent)

CP & M&P soap: Elements Rocky Mountain (formerly Flickers Christmas Pines)

I have yet to find a Christmas Tree scent I like better than Fillmores.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if the fillmores Xmas tree smells like bath and body works fresh balsam?

I am obsessed with that hand soap and found a very old candle of theirs in this scent also- the candle doesn't throw strong at all but I need this scent! Lol

Very different from mistletoe and Rocky Mountain Xmas and blue spruce that I use

Or if you you know of a fragrance that is very similar....I never tried peaks either

Edited by moonshine

Can anyone tell me if the fillmores Xmas tree smells like bath and body works fresh balsam?

I am obsessed with that hand soap and found a very old candle of theirs in this scent also- the candle doesn't throw strong at all but I need this scent! Lol

Very different from mistletoe and Rocky Mountain Xmas and blue spruce that I use

Or if you you know of a fragrance that is very similar....I never tried peaks either

Moonshine, I've been obsessed with the BBW Fresh Balsam also, and while I haven't put this fo in wax yet, imo the oob smell is just like it! :D

Question about Fillmore's Christmas Tree.  I looked back at my notes because I remembering ordering a sample and had noted that OOB, it didn't smell realistic.  I don't think I ever put it in wax and now can't find the sample.  So tell me, does the OOB scent not do it justice.  Trappeur, like you, I use C3 so I'd love to find a good Balsam, Pine that throws good in this wax.

Also any insight on their Clove would be appreciated as well.  Thx!

• Like 1

Thank you, just went ahead an ordered both Christmas Tree and Clove.  I'm also a big fan of CS's Mistletoe and sell alot of it but I want more of a Balsam so appreciate your post very much.  Also Fillmore is one of my suppliers so it makes even more sense.

Have a great day!

Brenda

I have been using this Christmas Tree since 2006 and it always smells fresh and realistic. Tradewinds carried it until they went OOB then I rediscoved it when Fillmore started carrying FOs a few years back. It was the exact same one and I was so happy!! I think its a well rounded scent rather than some of those one note types. It just has a lot of depth to me and my customers love it.

If someone finds a better Christmas Tree let me know.

• Like 1

Well I received the Fillmore Christmas Tree and made some candles.  I might have candle nose but OOB I think it smells just like CS's Mistletoe...except maybe there's a note of something in Mistletoe that's more sharp.  How long do you suggest curing before testing Christmas Tree?  I typically only wait a couple of days and figure if it doesn't throw decent then I need to move on because my process doesn't allow much curing time.  Thx!

I use palm wax so my curing time may be different than yours. Most of the time my candles have cured in about 2-3 days or a week at most. Both of those scents you can smell right away once the candle has cooled though.

They don't smell the same to me. They especially don't smell the same burning to me. The Mistletoe has a very distinct top note of eucalyptus and fresh pine while the Christmas Tree is a balsam blend. Mistletoe always helps clear my sinuses when I burn it. I don't get that with the Christmas Tree.

• Like 1

Candybee, on 25 Sept 2014 - 6:13 PM, said:Candybee, on 25 Sept 2014 - 6:13 PM, said:Candybee, on 25 Sept 2014 - 6:13 PM, said:

They don't smell the same to me. They especially don't smell the same burning to me. The Mistletoe has a very distinct top note of eucalyptus and fresh pine while the Christmas Tree is a balsam blend. Mistletoe always helps clear my sinuses when I burn it. I don't get that with the Christmas Tree.

I agree w/Candybee 100%, I can't stand eucalyptus in candles (too sharp & medicinal smelling) therefore my CS Mistletoe sample never even made it into wax. The Fillmore Christmas Tree really does smell like fresh balsam, if a person has never smelled fresh balsam fir (it has a limited range, it only grows in Canada and north & east of the Great Lakes in the US) then it might be hard to imagine. So it must be candle nose! :P

Edited by mzpickles

Don't get me wrong I like the scent....it smells good and I do think it smells like a Christmas Tree........I just don't know if they are different enough to both have in my candle line. I sell lots of Mistletoe so not dropping it.  If I stuck with the name Christmas Tree or maybe something with Balsam that would work to keep both.  I also poured Fillmore's Clove...it's a nice scent OOB.....I currently uses Peak's which is definitely heavier but I kind of like Fillmore's better....will have to see how it throws and if it's as big of a pain to wick as Peak's.....wouldn't mind one that I could use a smaller wick in.

• Like 1

blt212, on 25 Sept 2014 - 6:39 PM, said:blt212, on 25 Sept 2014 - 6:39 PM, said:blt212, on 25 Sept 2014 - 6:39 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong I like the scent....it smells good and I do think it smells like a Christmas Tree........I just don't know if they are different enough to both have in my candle line. I sell lots of Mistletoe so not dropping it.  If I stuck with the name Christmas Tree or maybe something with Balsam that would work to keep both.  I also poured Fillmore's Clove...it's a nice scent OOB.....I currently uses Peak's which is definitely heavier but I kind of like Fillmore's better....will have to see how it throws and if it's as big of a pain to wick as Peak's.....wouldn't mind one that I could use a smaller wick in.

That's good to know about the Clove! And I know that the CS Mistletoe is a huge seller for a lot of people on this board, but I only make candles for myself, relatives, friends & neighbors, so I can afford to not use a fo that would run me out of the house gagging! *shudder*

And I definitely plan to include the word balsam in whatever I end up calling it! :D

Edited by mzpickles
  • Like 1

If it helps I do sell both during the holidays. I keep the name Christmas Tree for Fillmore's. For Mistletoe I rename it Christmas Wreath because it won't sell as Mistletoe. You could also name it Sinus Relief.

For the clove, have you tried mixing the 2 cloves together? You might be surprized. You can get the best of both scents by blending... or not. But if it were me I would try it. The danger here is falling in love with the blend then you always have to buy both. LOL

• Like 2