How much FO per lb wax?

paintednightsky

I know how much you use per lb has to do with wax type as well and capacity since some only hold 6%, etc.  I currently am using 1.5 oz per lb and use vybar as well.  I am curious if adding any more FO actually helps with longevity and thrown.  Say using 2 oz per lb wax instead since these are wax melts, not candles.  In candles, I would never use that high an amount and 1 oz in general seems to be good enough, but wondering if in melts it is worth it to add more FO if it actually lasts a significantly longer amount of time.

2 oz. per lb. would be a total waste of FO, would probably weep out of the wax, wouldn't last any longer or affect your throw.  If you really need to use 2 oz./lb. I'd say you need  better quality FO.  Make sure you aren't using too much vybar, as it can lock out your scent and end up being a very weak or no throw.

• Like 2

Yep, what Chris said.  Each wax has an FO load capacity -- if you put more than it can hold, it'll just seep out.  I typically find that 6% - 9% works based on the FO itself.  Get a super strong one like Wild Mountain Honey from Peak, and any more than 6% is a waste since it has the capability to blow your doors off at 6% :)  I've never used vybar in our tarts, so I don't have an opinion there.

I have never used Vybar in melts either. I have used 2oz fragrance oil in melts and it has seeped out. You could see the sweat droplets on top. If your melts are not strong enough, you may want to remove the Vybar if you have used it in previous melts. The longer the melts sit the stronger they tend to get.

Chris is right...wax can only take so much fo and the quality of the fo is really important too. But if you're finding that most of your tarts are weak and/or don't last long, I suggest you play around with a few wax blends before you add extra fo....it can make a HUGE difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I know how much you use per lb has to do with wax type as well and capacity since some only hold 6%, etc.  I currently am using 1.5 oz per lb and use vybar as well.  I am curious if adding any more FO actually helps with longevity and thrown.  Say using 2 oz per lb wax instead since these are wax melts, not candles.  In candles, I would never use that high an amount and 1 oz in general seems to be good enough, but wondering if in melts it is worth it to add more FO if it actually lasts a significantly longer amount of time.

Hello Painted Night Sky,

Also you should make sure you are putting the fragrance oil in your wax at a good temperature too so it binds and stir real good.  Most everyone does it about 175 to 180....I do that.  And like everyone says, the oils you use may not be compatable with your wax....you know the old candle lingo?  Test, test, test......lol

By the way, I LOVE your board name.  I want to rename a fragrance that I want to use to your name......Do you mind?  

Trappeur

Thank you for your thoughts everyone!  I actually already have what I feel is a great wax formula and throw.  No issues there, but another vendor told me they used that much FO which made me curious if that'd really work or improve how long the scent lasts/throw using more than 2 oz at a time.  That seemed like a lot to me even trying to formulate at 12% and a bit of a waste.  Just was basically curious if it'd work since I have never tried it and would imagine it would weep the oil unless I formulated my wax to hold a higher threshold.  I have found 1.5 oz per lb is plenty, sometimes slightly less depending on the scent.  I wouldn't mind you using the name Trappeur :)

Edited by paintednightsky