Soy/Beeswax Blend and Frosting

I have seen in the "Soy and Soy Blend Recommendations" topic thread that some soy wax users add beeswax to help prevent frosting.  I was wondering if this only helps with the initial frosting after pouring or if it helps with the frosting after burning.  I have only work in paraffin, but purchased some soy candles from etsy to try out.  With these candles, they looked good when I received them and had great scent throw, but after the first burning, they frosted.  From what I read, it seems a paraffin and soy blend would prevent this, but I was wondering about the soy and beeswax blend.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

It depends on the actual soy wax. Some, like C3 specifically say not to use beeswax in the technical documents.

I tried beeswax in various % with a couple soy waxes and never found it to help with preventing frosting or with improving scent throw. Others may have different experiences.

I have test many, many waxes over my years with candles.  In the end you can't make a wax do what it doesn't do.

You can't make a cow lay an egg.  If you want eggs you have to find a chicken.

If you want 100% soy, then you embrace soy wax and all of its attributes.  Every wax has it's ups and downs, every wax has its own set of rules....science dictates those rules.

You can tweek the commercial waxes, you can buy raw ingredients and blend your own.  In the end experimentation is the only way you will have definitive answers for yourself.

I make candles based on what end product I wanted, how I wanted it to look and burn.  I make scented containers that are palm and parasoy, paraffin and beeswax and beeswax blend pillars and votives and hand dipped beeswax tapers (probably my favorite to make and burn).

• Like 3

I have test many, many waxes over my years with candles.  In the end you can't make a wax do what it doesn't do.

You can't make a cow lay an egg.  If you want eggs you have to find a chicken.

If you want 100% soy, then you embrace soy wax and all of its attributes.  Every wax has it's ups and downs, every wax has its own set of rules....science dictates those rules.

You can tweek the commercial waxes, you can buy raw ingredients and blend your own.  In the end experimentation is the only way you will have definitive answers for yourself.

I make candles based on what end product I wanted, how I wanted it to look and burn.  I make scented containers that are palm and parasoy, paraffin and beeswax and beeswax blend pillars and votives and hand dipped beeswax tapers (probably my favorite to make and burn).

I think this quote said it all. I'm going to add: if you think 100% soy candles are going to be anywhere near paraffin as far as throw and looks, get out of that mindset. Soy is a totally different beast. In my opinion, they aren't anywhere near as good as a paraffin candle or a well made (mostly paraffin) parasoy.