melt testing questions

Robbiethe3

I have 2 warmers that I use for test. They are kept in the same place in my house. I test a whole melt and see how long each lasts a well as scent throw. You will get stronger scent in a two piece warmer but it will not last as long as if you were testing in a light bulb style warmer. Are you testing same scent, different wax blends or have you settled on a wax blend and now you re testing between similar scents from different suppliers?

That depends on a LOT of things. Room size, fans, air conditioning, percentage of FO used, wax type and much more. I strive to get 12+ hours in light bulb warmers. I know that I get much less with hot plate warmers as the wattage warms off the FO more quickly.

A lot has to do with the wattage of your warmer & your scent.  I personally can get, at my work office, 4 days of 5 hour burns out of my tarts.  By the 5th day we can still smell it in the office, but it gets pretty weak by the end of the day.  My office isn't huge, but there's 4 of us in there with lots of room to move and most of the time the scent drifts down the hall.  I use my own blend of parasoy, usually 1 to 1-1/2 oz. per lb. of FO and there's a 35 watt bulb in my warmers.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

When you test for fragrance throw results, your variables should be exactly the same. Same room size. Same warmer type. Same wax. Same fragrance load. Same air movement. Same length of time curing the melt. If there is one change in your setup, your results will be skewed.

There are also variables with the ability of a person to smell what is warming. I suggest finding reliable, unbiased testers and giving them specific questions to record and report back to you. Look at the combined feedback for a true answer.

If you are using a soft wax I would suggest that you use a lightbulb style warmer and try different wattage bulbs. If you are using a harder wax, the dish/plate style warmers are ok. I am pretty sure that the hotter the wax gets, the quicker you'll burn off fragrance. There is a vast difference between burner styles/types and bulbs.

Where do you live Robbie, it would be better to find some near you to save on shipping samples out.  I'm in Warsaw, NY (near Buffalo) and would love to test for you if you can't find some near you.  PM me if interested!  :)

anyone interested in testing

I put a FB post on a local Mom's swap and share group page. I mentioned that I was looking for wax melt testers. I had plenty of interested applicants, and had about 12 testers within three days. I'm finding that opinions about scents are so subjective, but I'm loving the feedback from people that are not friends and family. I feel it has been more honest.

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

I put a FB post on a local Mom's swap and share group page. I mentioned that I was looking for wax melt testers. I had plenty of interested applicants, and had about 12 testers within three days. I'm finding that opinions about scents are so subjective, but I'm loving the feedback from people that are not friends and family. I feel it has been more honest.

That is exactly what you want - unbiased testers. Be sure you know what type of melter they have too.