Meltpool Question

This is my first 3 hour burn. 1 oz of Peaks Birthday Cake (smells great), per lb of 464 & 2tbls. beeswax. CD 18 wick, 12 oz status jar. I didn't get a full meltpool. Is this typical of a first burn? Also, as soon as I lit the wick, it curled (of course the side the wick curled towards has a full meltpool). Is that a trait of CD wicks? I'm also thinking of trying a RRD wick. Hope the picture attached.

Thanks.

Luanne

post-11347-0-97408400-1403465942_thumb.j

Guest OldGlory

I can tell you my experience - but I don't add beeswax to my 464 and I don't use CD wicks. What is the diameter of that jar? Let us see the result after the next 3 hour burn too.

I get exactly the same results with a Premier 767 wick with several of my FOs in a 3 inch tin. They always catch up on the next 3 hour burn.

You may get a quicker burn with a fragrance that is floral or fruity so test some others. FOs that have a lot of vanilla (guessing the birthday cake does) are a little harder to burn.

Thanks Old Glory. I may give up on adding the beeswax. I'm trying to get smooth tops after burning, but no luck so far. I'll burn again tomorrow and see how it goes. The jar is a 3" diameter, 12 oz. status jar.

Luanne

Guest OldGlory

I am not a fan of the texture/appearance of the top after burning with 464 either. But I've never heard a complaint. I also take issue with frosting and had one client request a different wax as a result of it, but some don't mind frosting either. 464 is not a perfect wax but it does throw most of my FOs very well, and that is what most customers are looking for.

Maybe cut the beeswax in half? Maybe up the wick to the next size? But for sure wait for the next burn and test other FOs before changing anything. And keep good notes!

I never saw any improvement with 464 and beeswax. I do remember reading a Golden Brands tech paper a long while back that cautioned against using beeswax in their 464 blend.

As for FMP, i don't go for that on the first several burns. By the time the wax gets part way burned down the container the temps tend to get much higher, making the whole container much too hot.

I use CD, CDN and CSN wicks. All tend to curl to one side. You can twist the wick when you make the candle to help it "unwind" as it burns to even the melt pool.

Thank you everybody.  I'm going to try cutting the beeswax in half, and if that doesn't produce what I'm looking for, I will probably just continue with the 464 alone, or try CB-Excel.

Luanne