What's in Your Soappot This Week?

Candybee

I'm working on salt bars. Got an order for a wedding plus I am almost sold out from this past weekend. I am turning into quite the saleslady pushing salt bars. LOL

The order is for pink and green salt bars in spearmint and eucalyptus. So I guess I will be working on that tomorrow.

Not today. Today I had to mow the lawn. It takes a lot of energy out of me so I am bushed. The soap can wait til tomorrow!!

So what are you all working on this week?

• Like 1

I have to remake a batch of hot process that I screwed up pretty royally last week.  I was going to try a large version of a 1 pound experiment from last month when I had the soap traced and cooking in the crock pot I was putting my ingredients back in the cabinet and discovered that I used more shortening and coconut oils than I should have.  It was pure user error on my scale...  >>>hanging my head in shame<<<

I spent the hour+ of cook time scrambling to run numbers to discover that I had 18 ounces TOO MUCH oil in the batch.  I was going to superfat with shea butter, but scratched that, ran the whole thing through soapcalc and then went ahead with scents and color swirls.  So far so good, the soap is at 18% superfat, and I have a different recipe that I go 20% on, so I'm hoping they cure and are good to go.  >>crossing fingers<<

Plus I tried beer soap for the first time.  Cold process, so it's a long wait to see how it turned out.....that's why I like hot process.  I can test quickly and at least have an idea of what is to come.

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't seem to get in the soaping mood this week. I just made a nice pine scented soap with french green clay. So far thats all I've made this week and I have a lot of soaps I need to make to catch up. Maybe its the markets I do. Maybe they are wearing me out.

I know just how you feel CB and my business is closed. People keep asking for soap and now I have an order for a fragrance that is no longer in stock (Mediterranean Garden from AH/RE). Yardwork and soapmaking are more than my old body can take. Not to mention printing up the wrappers and all of that headache. I made a batch that went immediate soap when I added the fo (combined white tea, rain and lemon sorbet) but wrestled that bad boy into colored layers in my log mold and it turned out just fine. I've got blisters on my fingers from that adventure. I want to make a hidden peacock swirl or a hanger whirl this week-end.

Steve

Blended Salty Sea Air and Blue Lagoon for a slab mold and it riced on me but I stick blended til it looked more smooth. Didn't get to do my pretty swirl and had to plop it in the mold and the white top got weird looking. It turned out beautiful though. Then tried my hand as making a boardwalk for the Summer Boardwalk fragrance..... it got thick so I couldn't do exactly what I had planned but I like it.

This week I only have 2 days to make soap and I need to make at least a half dozen different batches to keep up. Its great that soap sales have picked up but doing the extra markets leaves me precious little time to make soap.

So this week I will make some Burberry, Cucumber Melon, Twilight Woods, and if I have time some Lavender, Goddess, Cinnamon, Unscented lard soap, and a baby castile.

• 1 month later...

This week I only have 2 days to make soap and I need to make at least a half dozen different batches to keep up. Its great that soap sales have picked up but doing the extra markets leaves me precious little time to make soap.

So this week I will make some Burberry, Cucumber Melon, Twilight Woods, and if I have time some Lavender, Goddess, Cinnamon, Unscented lard soap, and a baby castile.

Just getting back into soap making again and have made 3 smaill batches using olive oil this week, with a citrus sage, lavender chamoille and spiced plum

Edited by 7 Pawz

Glad to see you back and making soap again.

I have to make some olive oil/bastile soaps too. I have a line of bastile soaps that sell like crazy. Seems everyone wants a high olive oil soap thats super gentle.

Gonna start tomorraow on goat milk, coconut milk, and lullaby baby bastiles. If I have time I also need to make my sunflower and silk soaps; spring daffodils, some vanilla with allspice, and rebatch my cool water. Can't find a cool water that sticks in CP. May have to just HP cool water from now on.

The challenge is to pic one of the pallets from these 4, and use at least 3 of the colors represented in that pallet. 

I got #3 (or chose #3) 

The scent is going to be Wonderberry from Aztec, and I'm using the teal, purple, yellow, orange and I might throw in the grey as well. 

The prize for the winner selected is a $25 GC from NG. :)

post-200-0-18582500-1407246160_thumb.jpg

That looks like a fall theme to me. Dry grasses, fall colors. Do you know any leaf designs or swirl techniques? I like the purple color in that pallet the best. Which colors did you pick? I hope the purple, black, and orange. I love bold colors together.

I know I saw a design that starts out looking like a leaf design where you add colored layers over it? Where did I see it? Soaps 'n Lotions?

Was it a feather swirl? Something like this maybe? 

I was actually thinking of doing something like this. Using the grey as the main batch color then swirling in the Purple, orange, teal, and possibly the brown/black. 

Actually I think you have given me a great idea, and if I can pull it off I'll be happy so most likely it will turn into a blob, but I'm going to try it anyway... LOL 

(BTW - this pic is a soap I did with my own blend of apple mint. It has turned out to be one of my favorite scents! LOVE IT) 

post-200-0-77363700-1407248245_thumb.jpg

That's the swirl!! That looks like the pic I saw. I love how the design looks like leaves growing off a stem coming up from the ground.

I have an idea but don't know how to go about it. Do you remember the embed soap that came out looking like the moon over the mountains? Wouldn't a leaf design with a background and the moon above be cool? Or a round embed with leaf design around it like a daisy? Gads... I couldn't do any of those myself. But I can see pictures of soap in my head all the time of what I WISH I could do!! LOL

• Like 1

I DO remember that soap!! I've been planning a soap like that for AGES too, and just haven't gotten around to it. I need to make the "moon" first though, and I don't have a round mold long enough to make it fit down inside my log mold and am too lazy to go buy the 1" PVC pipe cut to length. LOL 

As far as I know, this is the first one. Someone already posted their pic - it was done in pallet 4 - with the browns and creams, using a drop swirl. Very pretty. 

The Facebook group is I Saponify, No Lye. (not sure if I should say which group, if I need to remove it, please let me know) 

(And it's a play on words since we all know no lye, no soap) 

I'm in so many FB groups, it's ridiculous!! And to imagine just 3-4 months ago I didn't even frequent FB except once a year to plan an event and invite people... LOL