Fundraiser scent samples

Guest OldGlory

How many people need to be able to smell the samples? And how many samples do you need? I think those factors would dictate my response.

When I pitch a new business (I am strictly wholesale) I pour real candles. The new maxi tealights make AWESOME samples. The throw from one of these small candles can be really strong and super impressive from such a tiny thing. If someone already buys my candles and I am introducing a new scent I send them a full size (usually 6.5 oz) jar and tell them to find an office/room where several people will be able to smell it burning to get plenty of feedback. I know it seems like a lot of work, but to me it's well worth it.

I do not make candles, nor do I own a business however years ago I was a candle demonstrator for a Candle Company. When I did fundraisers or did a catalog only party, I would scoop out a small amount of the scented wax from the samples and put it inside of an itsy bitsy zip lock bag and attach it to the scent in the catalog. Maybe you could pour your scents into wax chips (like Vicky mentioned above) or a flat strip, and attach them to the catalog inside of some mini polypropylene resealable bags. 

Edited by megandgarr

I make samples in the small souffle cups, put initial of scent on lid and on cup.  They usually do 8 scents and I put 1 scent each in zip lock bag.  They buy the sample bags and are happy to because it really helps them with sale when people can actually smell the scent.       

I do a lot of fundraisers for schools and groups I am doing one now for a cheer group 37 girls 6 scents.  I would love figure out to do a scratch and sniff like yankee does for their fundraiser. I just wondered how yall did it some groups have done so many with me they dont ask for the smellies but this group does everytime but they also switch up scents and hard to tell them no when they do a big volume !!

• 2 weeks later...

I do the  1 oz sample cups that I buy in bulk at Sams club.  On our top selling scents that we always sell on fundraisers we always have some in the bottom of the pouring pot.  We just keeps those cups handy and fill em as we make candles.  That way when we have a fundraiser come up we usually already have the scents ready to bag up.  6 samples, each person get a Ziploc with those 6 scents in em.   If I get desparate and need some Ill just poor some scented wax in a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer.  One its set I take it out and break into bits with a hammer.   Those pieces I put in a sample cup like the others.   I have printed labels I stick on the cups just because I think they look better than my hand writing.  I think we sell more candles buy doing the samples.