Candle jar too hot?

How do you know if your candle jar is too hot when burning a candle jar?  I use a parasoy, and every wick I use, it seems when I get a nice melt pool, or when the wax burns down, the sides of the jar are very hot.  How hot is too hot?

I do this really old school at full melt pool I place my finger on the jar and I count 1001 1002 1003 till it to hot to hold any more. I like between 3 and 5 seconds.  If it is so hot I can not even place my finger in the lip of the jar that is way to hot.

Guest OldGlory

That is one reason it's so important to use jars that are made for candles. I cringe when I see containers used that are not meant for candles- I worry that it will get so hot it will break the glass.

My recommendation is to use the smallest wick you need to make the candle burn properly, and make sure your container is safe. If someone leaves a candle burning for 12 hours, trust me - the container will be hot!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the candlesafety site says 175 degrees is max.  I find that too hot.  175 degrees will burn third degree in 5 seconds.  The McDondald's hot coffee case was 165 degrees and that burned 3rd degree in 7 seconds.

Personally, I prefer to wick so that the jar can be held with some discomfort but not burning.  Unfortunately, it is tough to do that and still get a good melt pool unless I play with the wax formula a bit.

I also think it is unnecessary to have deep melt pools.  Full diameter within a half hour, yes, but the really deep ones smell great the first time and then towards the end have nothing left to offer, other than hot glass.