Too many fragrances!

Right now, in my lineup for candles, I have 168 scents.  :o (this does not include any of the sample fo's that I haven't tested yet!! LOL) 

Obviously, I need to scale down. 

Here's the question - should I carry 5 or 10 for each category?? Like, fruity, holiday, spa/water/herbal, perfume & floral? 

Or does it depend? See?? This is why I have so many!! LOL I can't decide. 

Just need some opinions and advice... 

Thanks, 

I'm no help because I have about 100 and still growing.  I plan to eventually have some of them only available during their peak season.  It kind of naturally happens anyway.  Though I just had an order for a bunch of fall type scents so I'd probably have them available if someone really wants it.   I like having a bunch of different ones to choose from.  People are pretty finicky about their scent choices so it's nice to have a lot.  My next goal is to do some mixes. :)   

• Like 1

I can't help you- I can't even help myself....I need to cut back and stop carrying oils I like but don't sell well- and I need to stop buying more samples I never have time to pour them but regardless I still do

I have hundreds and its a horrible addiction- I think it would be cheaper to become a crack addict! Lol just kidding there...

• Like 3

I'm no help because I have about 100 and still growing.  I plan to eventually have some of them only available during their peak season.  It kind of naturally happens anyway.  Though I just had an order for a bunch of fall type scents so I'd probably have them available if someone really wants it.   I like having a bunch of different ones to choose from.  People are pretty finicky about their scent choices so it's nice to have a lot.  My next goal is to do some mixes. :)   

Yeah, I didn't even count my custom blends (there are about 40 of those!! LOL) 

I can't help you- I can't even help myself....I need to cut back and stop carrying oils I like but don't sell well- and I need to stop buying more samples I never have time to pour them but regardless I still do

I have hundreds and its a horrible addiction- I think it would be cheaper to become a crack addict! Lol just kidding there...

Cheaper - just not as healthy!! :D 

What kind of nonsense is this about too many FOs? 

If you know you market, which I bet you do, then probably sticking with x-amount of mainstays is fine, but for me, we're always evolving and trying new(er) things. For instance Patch is a mainstay because we have that kind of following. Leather (unfortunately) is a somewhat mainstay, but we have to play with it a lot to keep it moving, especially since Goodlooking Cowboy bit the dust at DS. 

So I guess we have a few mainstays and then we have that play category so we have a variety in the numerous bottles we've got (if I counted then I'd have to accept that I buy stuff and can't use the excuse of I don't know how that got here as I slide the paperwork into whatever box the partner leaves with.) 

• Like 1

I have a feeling most people on this board have a serious problem with buying "too many" fragrances.  Usually when I order, I already have more fragrances in my shopping cart for next time before that order even arrives.  lol.   How lucky we are to have so many great companies to offer us crazies so many options.  Buy all the fragrances!!

Edited by SuzyK

Oh my gosh...I bout spit my soda all over when I read this! You are too funny! And I too need to stop with the samples also! I have 4 new suppliers that I just did this with. Only 126 new 1ouncers to try. :)

• Like 1

If your wallet and your market can handle lots of FO's, then roll with it.  Why limit the number of fragrances you offer just because you think you should?  There's no right or wrong number of fragrances to carry.  We carry over 300....and still growing.  They ALL sell at one point or another through the year.  We have a large customer base.  Maybe that's because we have lots to choose from....just food for thought :)