Strange EO Happenings

Hi All,

Casting around for a theory here, cause I can't work it out...

Last year I made up a batch of 50/50 paraffin/ palm wax container candles, using an Orange Essential Oil.

Lucky thing we are supreme testers around here, because after a week or so, I did a test burn on a couple & they caught fire O-O

The whole surface/ melt pool ignited after about the first 20 mins or so. Obviously, I had flash point issues & heaven only knows what else.

So, I boxed the rest with the intention of removing/ piffing the wax & at least salvaging my glasses.

Fast forward about 8 or 9 months & I did a spring clean. I lit one of these & was going to take photos & further notes & low & behold, it is burning PERFECTLY! I lit another- same! These are almost to their bottoms now, not a single issue. Burn time has been excellent & they are throwing like a dream.

WTF????

At first I thought the EO must have "evaporated" out of the topish layer of wax (having sat around for so long) & that's why they were doing ok, but no, they're nearly done & they're all good.

I am not selling these, obviously. Not risking it, but my point is that they are now the candles I was TRYING to make & even better than I had hoped at the time.

Ideas about what's transpired Anyone???

Edited by spark-me-up

citrus essential oils do have a very low flashpoint and it sounds like too much EO added to cause the initial fire.  I did a test with cinnamon to see exactly at what FO quantity it would flash fire, so I knew the limit I had to stay under. 

Here is my two cents the one that caught fire was it the first or last jar you poured? You may have not got all the EO incorporated. The un incorporated EO may have settled to the bottom of your pouring pot or rose to the top so one candle would have had more EO than the others and Flashed. 

Here is my two cents the one that caught fire was it the first or last jar you poured? You may have not got all the EO incorporated. The un incorporated EO may have settled to the bottom of your pouring pot or rose to the top so one candle would have had more EO than the others and Flashed.

Gosh, So many possibilities... Glad it's burning well now, but how scary!

Did the fragrance load exceed the total wax capacity of the palm/paraffin blend?

Palm wax usually needs pretty high melting temps. Was the oil fully blended into the molten wax at a high enough temp to fully blend?

Was it mixed long enough to homogenize the oils and wax?

Wow guys- thanks so much for your replies!

Ta Chris- think I'll test any future Citrus like that for sure =)

Vicky! I hadn't thought of that! Thanks- it's a possibility! Clever you are ;) (see below)

TallTayl, yes catching like that could have spelled disaster, but it was mesmerising all the same! Started with bluish flames floating around on the surface- appearing & disappearing. At first, I thought I was imagining things =D But, to answer your questions...

Fragrance load was well within range for that blend of wax. Was rec %10 & I put in %8. Was a bit suspect of Citrus, so erred on less is more- or thought I did =/

However, because of higher mp of Palm, I add EO's in at lastish minute, as don't want to evaporate them off. It's such a fine line! Usually "thinner" Oils will blend straight in like a charm. BUT perhaps I didn't mix them long enough & as @Vicky suggested, the oil sank, & so overloaded last pour/s.

Will certainly watch this ongoing. Cheers for your help people!!!

Edited by spark-me-up