Organizing your FO's

Belinda

This is probably not the spot to post this (not sure where) but I need to get my wax room organized and wondered how you all organize your oils. Is it by supplier, type etc? Right now I have them by supplier but am thinking I need to maybe put all the bakery together etc.

Thank you for helping a very disorganized person try to get it together LOL!

I have them by supplier. I'm still in the testing phase. I can't wait to go thru all of these 1 oz samples & stop hoarding. It feels awesome to actually put them in wax & make a decision! I store all sizes of FOs in clear plastic rectangular boxes on two bakery shelving units.

I am the same as CW.

I store by supplier and in Rubbermaid totes. I have the totes labeled by supplier. Since I do not make wax as a living, I do not need to have ready access to my FO's all day, every day. I have one tote that is just for samples. Those are also organized by supplier.

I have inventory to pour/replenish tomorrow. I have inventory checklists. Last night, I went through my melts, found those for which I was getting low, marked those on the sheet and then in the morning I will go "pull" all FO's needed for that day's pour.

As you know, I like things tidy and organized!

• Like 1

So maybe I'm not too terribly disorganized then!

I have them in a wooden cabinet that has 6 shelves but it's getting so full. My husband just built me several shelves around all 4 walls in a spare room. The shelf on the bottom is wider for pouring than the three on top. I was thinking of moving my oils to one of the other shelves but maybe I will keep them in the cabinet. I'm just going to have to re-distribute a few since I'm growing out of the cabinet! Maybe NOT buying any new ones would help! NAAAW! LOL! 

I thought I was organized by putting them in the stackable plastic bins on wheels by supplier- but as the bin would get full I would keep them in the box they came in and now I have found oils in those boxes I forgot I had....all my 1 ouncers go in plastic Tupperware containers that stack and I have way too many of those! And I had to throw out a lot of oils that just went bad - some even ate threw the plastic

I need to have a sale and just clean out what I don't use and stop buying....

• Like 1

Mine are all in alphabetical order. I started with a 3-shelved cabinet, which served me just fine for about 2 years before I outgrew it. I can only fit "A" through "L" in there now. The rest are stored in 6 boxes that continue on with the alphabetical theme, although I store my sample sizes separately in 2 small boxes (alphabetically with them as well).

I also keep a running inventory list of each FO on paper in a folder. The list also is alphabetical, but it has a column for the supplier of each FO, and it also has a constantly changing 'Amounts' column where I have written down the amounts of my FOs in pencil so that I can easily change them after each soaping session. That way, I always know exactly how much I have on hand with just a simple glance at the list instead of having to jostle around in the cabinet or one of the boxes every time I'm curious.

You are all way more organized than me.  I'm working on it though.  Mine are all just on a book shelf.  I need to alphabetize them or something. I have to dig every time I need a fragrance. lol

I got the bookshelf for my fragrances and I should have gotten a bigger one.  I'm out of room on it already.

Guest OldGlory

Now I feel completely inadequate. My 1 and 2 lb bottles are on shelves, separated by wholsale account. The 1 oz samples are in a shoebox. Not much going on!

I have mine by supplier because when I go to order, I inventory everything from that supplier.  Then I don't miss anything.  I can't tell you how many times I've ordered and forgot an oil before I started this.

That is a really good idea...I should do that! What a awesome idea!

So I'm the only one who organizes by type of scent?

I have a large tub, and individual gallon plastic bags labeled floral, green, ocean, fruit, and misc (for bakery etc.).

The bags are because no matter how carefully I think I re-cap the oils, there's a bit of seepage.

It really helps me because when I go to blend a scent, I already know what components I want.

Of course, I never bother to write down what oils go in each blend I try, so if I make a winner, I'm up the creek.  ;)

I have so many oils there in my workshop that I need to re-organize them as well. I always had them by supplier but as I often just cannot remember which scent was by which supplier and I waste too much time looking for that special oil I will organze them by type/name, so all fruit fragrances here, all ocean/beach ones there, all bakery stuff there etc.

I have them separated by scent type (floral, fruit, fresh, flirty, foods).  Each Rubbermaid box holds 8 bottles - this reminds me not to carry more than 8 scents in the same category.  I really try to limit to 5-6 in the same category.

Eve

• Like 1

I do not use this method anymore however when I was first starting out and collection gazillions of little 1 ounce bottles, I used a sharpie and numbered the top of the lid (white paint pen for the black lids). The scent name and supplier was added to a spreadsheet along with the corresponding number assigned to that bottle. I was then able to sort the spreadsheet by either bottle number, scent name or supplier and then quickly find the bottle of FO by searching the endless sea of bottles to find the number that I needed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I organize mine in the multi colored "photo' boxes from Michaels.  They are cool, heavy boxes, go on sale for pretty cheap, and stack really well.  Then they are sorted by supplier and then alphabetical. 

• 2 weeks later...