What to use to plug up a hole in the bottom of a container

Hello all,

I ahve searched and searched for this and cannot find an answer. I have found the cutest containers I want to use for some candles but they are planters and have a drain hole in the bottom. What is the best thing to use to plug up the hole. I was thinking just some while caulking but am concerned how it will interact with the hot wax. What do you all suggest.

Thanks,

Karen in MA

I have little 2" terracotta flowerpots that I paint flowers on and use to make a candle. They have a drain hole. I spackle the hole and then mod podge the heck out of it. If your planters are terracotta/clay, make sure you also mod podge or otherwise seal it super good too because the hot wax will discolor the clay. Learned that the hard way! Haha. HTH

I've used heat resistant clear calk. I found some sea shell planters at Dollar Tree and used a tube of sealant and never had a problem with leakage. The pottery was glazed and they tolerated heat well. I did not wick for a complete melt pool as extra insurance against the container gettting too hot.  HTH

Steve

Plumbers putty worked well? I thought I had a tube of caulk and when I went to open it appears there was a small hole in the tube so no good. I do have the putty. I figure between that and my wick stickem over it then it should be fine. But I want to make sure there are no leaks.

Thanks