Wholesale

Hi :)

I am thinking of trying to get a couple wholesale accts..would anyone share any of their policies? Not sure where to start?? Minimums? Do you require so many per scent of each candle? Melts? I know this is all a personal kind of thing and everyone's policies will be a little different :) thank you all so much for any help! You are all such wonderful peeps :) I love coming here!

Guest OldGlory

Maybe you could tell us what you have so far and we could fill in. Like you said, we all do it a bit differently, so the ideas you have now would give us an idea of how you want to structure your wholesale business. For example-

What is your payment policy? What is your return policy? What do you think is a reasonable minimum - both for the number per fragrance/number per size per fragrance, and for the total order? Will you deliver locally? And if you deliver locally, will you do it once a week? Who makes the labels? Lots more to consider.

Get this basic structure in mind and come back!

Maybe you could tell us what you have so far and we could fill in. Like you said, we all do it a bit differently, so the ideas you have now would give us an idea of how you want to structure your wholesale business. For example-What is your payment policy? What is your return policy? What do you think is a reasonable minimum - both for the number per fragrance/number per size per fragrance, and for the total order? Will you deliver locally? And if you deliver locally, will you do it once a week? Who makes the labels? Lots more to consider.Get this basic structure in mind and come back!

All I have ever done is retail and fundraisers. All of your questions are exactly what I was asking for..that I don't have yet. My hubby makes all my labels. I don't really know what a reasonable minimum would be. I do have several small stores in my area that have contacted me to do wholesale. So how do you work that? Obviously they aren't going to be able to work w/large minimums, do you ever alter minimums for smaller companies? I would be happy to deliver locally. Thank you so much OldGlory! :) I was hoping you would post..I can so tell you got it going on! :)

in tutorials, I have some basic Q&A....wholesale is all I do. 1500 accounts and counting...

Oh my gosh, you have 1500 wholesale accounts? That is unbelievable..and awesome! You MUST really got it going on too!! You are all some pretty amazing people!

All I have ever done is retail and fundraisers. All of your questions are exactly what I was asking for..that I don't have yet. My hubby makes all my labels. I don't really know what a reasonable minimum would be. I do have several small stores in my area that have contacted me to do wholesale. So how do you work that? Obviously they aren't going to be able to work w/large minimums, do you ever alter minimums for smaller companies? I would be happy to deliver locally. Thank you so much OldGlory! :) I was hoping you would post..I can so tell you got it going on! :)

My minimum is $200.  However my direct competitors offer anywhere from $50-$300.  For me, anything under $100 costs me too many administrative costs.  Every company is different, so you need to find what comfortable for you. I have a very large and complex line, so to have a small minimum would not work well for me, if you have only a few options, $100 is typically the average in the gift industry. 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Here's my two cents -

Get your payment policy (payable on delivery for example) and return policy (no returns on wholesale unless it is an issue of quality for example)in place. Make sure all orders are submitted through email so you have a record. Make sure you give yourself enough time to get the order done and think ahead in case you have 5 companies all wanting their orders the same day. Maybe a minimum of 2 weeks. This gives your business structure.

Define what you will make and what you won't. For example, it's really hard to make a profit on votives, so I don't offer them. Almost anything else is available as long as I can double my cost for my wholesale price. Have a price list with every detail. With and without a label. With a black ink label, with a full color label. People will take advantage of a weakness if they see one.

The rest is up to you. If you think it's worth your time to make three 8 oz mason jars per fragrance, do it! If you think it's only worth your time to make six 8 oz mason jars per fragrance, do that!

Pick a starting place and write it all down so you are consistent with each potential client. But be prepared to negotiate a little.

The reason I asked questions is to make you think about it. Think what it will be like to make an order if you require a $100 minimum. Go thru the process in your head, from buying the supplies, to making the products, to delivery. There's a lot of work involved.

• 3 months later...

We have over 200 wholesale accounts. Our opening minimum is $400 with $100 reorders. Started out with $100 opening then $200. $400 is just right. Totally agree with Barncat about costs for small orders. Plus, small accounts are a pain to deal with.  Some items we sell only in case lots, most are individual.