Alternatives to Hurricane Molds

I am kind of in a bind and could really use some creative thinking.

I have been wanting to make a hurricane for my Puddin' girl but I have one issue, I do not have a hurricane mold or three wick mold.  When I rescued all of my supplies this winter, I lost all of my tin molds and at this point in time, I do not have the resources to purchase another mold of that kind for a while.  I really want to make this hurricane for my mama girl and the amount of hurricane wax I have left should be plenty to make it.  I know that I should probably wait until I have the finances to get a hurricane mold, but this is one of those projects that just can't seem to wait any longer and I know with all the creative brains we have here we can come with some idea to get this done.

I was originally looking at several glass hurricanes that I do have, they are pretty thick and could probably handle the temperature of the wax being poured into it, but considering the shock that it will have to endure to get the picture embedded into the wax, I'm too afraid they will shatter, so that was out the window pretty fast.  I am also thinking of PVC - it would be great since there is no seam line to contend with but the thickness of the PVC is going to make embedding the picture even more difficult than normal. 

I know there has to be another way of doing this - can anyone help?

Well just how big does this have to be? 

If you have any molds that will fit into another mold and give you a decent shell, seal them off and go to town. 

If you don't, start looking at milk containers or something similar that will work with one of the molds you have. Keep in mind this is a peel away mold though and you'd likely have to buff or shine the candle, but a milk carton will handle the heat and shock. 

IF none of that works, you may just be saddled with the PVC, but I would bet you could make it happen. 

Really, if you think about it, you don't have to have a "hurricane" mold. You can make any mold into a hurricane. 

AND then there's always the option of filling your biggest mold (seal it off of course), implant whatever you're going to do and then wait for that 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness, cut out the center and pour out the wax. Hope that makes sense. I used to imbed things this way and sometimes I just didn't dump the wax. 

AND then there's always the option of filling your biggest mold (seal it off of course), implant whatever you're going to do and then wait for that 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness, cut out the center and pour out the wax. Hope that makes sense. I used to imbed things this way and sometimes I just didn't dump the wax. 

Scented,

this is probably a stupid question but just to get it right: you fill your mold with wax, wait until those 1/4 to 1/2 inches have hardened....and then how do you cut out the wax? Could you just pour the wax out? Does this thin layer of wax release easily from the mold? Or am I totally getting it wrong?

Thanks!

Take a knife and cut a circle, peel/pull/scoop it off and then pour the wax out. I wouldn't just go and pour and hope the wax breaks the top. It might take some of the side of your candle too. 

Edited by Scented

My biggest mold is 3" but it's my octagon mold, I worry about whether I can get the picture properly embedded with the odd shape.  I've trolled the house the last couple of days looking for anything that I could use for a mold and I'm coming up empty so far but I do like the milk carton idea - far less expensive than a piece of PVC.  I'd like to keep the hurricane at the usual size - 6 inches in diameter and about 5 inches tall but I'm willing to work with anything at this point.  The picture I'm using is 5 x 7, I know I can resize it down, but I don't want to get too crazy with the resizing since it could distort the picture - it shows her beautiful blues off very nicely.

My crazy brain came up with something last night but I'm not sure how to do it yet, with her eyes being blue I thought about doing a marbled hurricane with sky blue chips.  If I can figure everything out with that, then using the glass hurricanes would be a snap - I wouldn't be pouring screaming hot wax into the hurricane and I wouldn't have to shock the side to get the picture embedded - with the better part of 80% of the wax already hardened, it would just be a matter of pulling the wax away from the side of the glass and nestling the picture there.

Scented, my nephew walked in the room and started cracking up at your avatar and I must say that after all these years, I still get a giggle looking at it myself.  He wants to know if that's a lime on that cat's head - but I think it's a melon.  Any idea what that is??   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Scented's suggestion is how I typically make my hurricane candles.

I have a really nice hurricane mold but it's so large I haven't used it.

I had a customer that wanted a 8 or 9" hurricane made, got the mold set up and then they backed out. Grrr

If you truly want to use 2 molds the hardware stores sell tin tubing used for heat / AC.

I'm sure you could make what you want with those but I bet there will be a seem.

You could also use other piping like PVC and such, plumbing, etc.

I've never used PVC and have yet to hear of someone not have any issues with it.

Take a knife and cut a circle, peel/pull/scoop it off and then pour the wax out. I wouldn't just go and pour and hope the wax breaks the top. It might take some of the side of your candle too. 

Ah, now I got it! Thank you!!