Creating Labels

Vicky_CO

This is a monthly series. One of the Mods will post a business question. That question will be stuck to the top of this forum for 1 month. That question will then be moved to a sub forum called what else Business Tips. The title will be changed to reflect the question. This idea came from EvyStar along with a list of questions to ask.

How do you create your labels?

I design my own labels in photoshop.

I buy my labels from onlinelabels.com.  They have a great label program for printing their labels.  They ship quickly, have great prices, and a great variety.  I think I have about 20 different labels from them that I use.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

This is my favorite task! I love the creative aspect of designing labels, signs, business cards, pamphlets, brochures, etc. You name it, I love it. But I hate using so much expensive ink! Yikes.

I bought a large graphics program years ago, Print Shop 22, and it was the best investment I have made with regard to business related impact and results.

My method is to find a label(s) that I like then go home and duplicate it with my logo. It is a never ending process because I am always coming up with something new. I also private label for my customers. What shop owner doesn't want everything with their name on it? Self-promotion is a beautiful thing for business owners!

I create my labels from a free down load of Design Pro.

I have used this program for over 10 years and it does the job.

I also use clear labels from online labels. they work excellent.

I use mostly black ink and have only my logo colored to match the scents!!!!

Works for me!!!!!

I make my own using various Microsoft Office products, usually MS Access.

One CM/PL account sends their original work to a printer, like Lightening Labels for the great laminated label stock.

Label design is the most time consuming, yet rewarding part of new product development.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I would love to see some of the creative genius we have on this board! You can black out the name of the client but show us the rest of your work.

OMG! This post has been a wealth of valuable information for me.  Thank-you.  I have never heard of any of the programs all of you have posted here.  Nor have I heard of online labels.  I have been using Avery labels and they expensive and average in quality.  The labels often peel from the sides of my glass jars once the candle is lit.  Plus living here in the tropics the labels don't always stick properly.  I have resorted to placing the labels on the lids for now.

So, if I may add another question to the mix.  Do you charge your time - when you design your labels to the cost of each product? 

• Like 1

This is my favorite task! I love the creative aspect of designing labels, signs, business cards, pamphlets, brochures, etc. You name it, I love it. But I hate using so much expensive ink! Yikes.

I bought a large graphics program years ago, Print Shop 22, and it was the best investment I have made with regard to business related impact and results.

My method is to find a label(s) that I like then go home and duplicate it with my logo. It is a never ending process because I am always coming up with something new. I also private label for my customers. What shop owner doesn't want everything with their name on it? Self-promotion is a beautiful thing for business owners!

Hi there

Any idea where I might be able to find Print Shop 22?  Is it a software program or actual physical printer? 

Kind regards,

Evy

I currently use a graphic designer who is based in Italy. She is a friend and a great designer.  However, it does add to my costs.  Even though she charges me mates rates.  My market stall (labelling/branding, props) is very vintage inspired.  I would like the freedom to offer customers (and shop owners) a variety of label designs and personalised ones also.  

For my decorative pillar candles - I purchase digital downloads from Etsy and (with designers permission) use their digital images as part of my craft.  

Any other suggestions - websites etc…to check out with regards to payable/or free graphics/borders/images etc…? 

I use  print master 11. That thing is old but still works v great for labels. I normally get my labels at online labels but every now and then I will pick sum up at Office depot.

Hello Vicky! 

Is this the program that you use?  http://www.printmaster.com  The current version is V6!?  If this is not the one you use, can you please email me the link to yours? 

Does anyone use labels from Worldlabel.com?  I was  about to switch from Avery to using their labels, however now considering using online labels. They seem to have much wider variety of labels.

Guest OldGlory

Evy, Printshop 22 is software. I bought it maybe 10 years ago, so I don't know if it's still made, but for sure something else is available. It came with a dozen or more CDs of graphics and access to yet more graphics online. The possibilities are endless with this software!

Printshop 3.0 is the latest I have. I find PrintShop 22 to be easier to use.

Canstock.com has all the photos you want for $99 for one month. I plan on picking out the photos I want to use first, than paying the $99. With the way things usually go, I'd pay & than not be able to sit for hours & pick out the photos.

• Like 1

I love online labels. I just have trouble printing them sometimes. I have a little trouble with the printing off center for some reason.

I was having the same problem with their program. Try using the word program they offer to download. All of the labels have been exact, once I started using that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Photoshop for me. I make my own template for each product - soap, lip balm, scrub... - and them customize for different scents and flavors. Once you learn how to use photoshop, it is very easy to change out backgrounds, font, etc. My years of digital scrapbooking have come in handy with label making. :)

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I also use Avery DesignPro. Its a free download of Avery's. I always get compliments on my labels. Use it for all my labels; soap, candles, lip balm, lotions, etc. I even use it for my promotional materials; biz cards, flyers, pamphlets, tabletop signs, brochures. I like that it is easy to learn to use very quickly and is so versatile.

• 4 weeks later...