Had my first show today! Also, 2 questions

Just got back from my first show today! I was originally going to set up a table at a family member's animal rescue event, but last minute I ended up at another family member's Earth Day event instead. (Made more sense; I glorified soy wax to the fullest extent haha.) I quickly realized that the crowd was more of the "I'll take every free pamphlet I see" type rather than the "this cash is burning a hole in my pocket" type. Still, very nice people and I actually did a lot better than I expected- especially for something so last minute :)

ANYWAY, I have another (much larger) event coming up, and I need a presto pot! I've heard that they hold about 8 pounds of wax. Does that sound about right?

Also, does anyone use the 1 ounce ellipso cups? Do they hold EXACTLY 1 ounce of wax, or a little less?

Sorry for all my annoying questions! You guys are the best!

Agree that the amount a Presto holds varies by model and age. I have the Stainless model that is no longer made and I safely put 7.5 pounds at a time in it. I prefer my big turkey fryers that hold 30+ pounds, though! I only do 2 artisan events (both in the Fall) but I will be very grateful that I have the larger pots when that time arrives. I blend waxes so weighing waxes and refilling the Presto over and over was no fun for me.

My Ellipso cups are 2 ounces and my melts weigh 1.4 ounces. A buddy here makes melts in the same cups but we use different waxes. She and I fill cups similarly yet her melts weigh 1.7-1.8 ounces. Visually, they would look the same. So, weight and volume come into play.

Congrats on the show!

The presto pot I have, I can get about 6 lbs in it. I bought it at walmart 3 years ago.

I have a turkey roaster for times when I'm making a ton.  It holds about 20 lbs.

I think I may be that "buddy" who uses the same cups as Karen and yes, while the wax she uses in her cups weighs 1.4 oz, mine weighs 1.8. I don't know why that is. lol.   I haven't used a 1 z container but I'm assuming it wouldn't be 1 oz, it would be more like .8 as someone stated above

I use the 2 oz cups because the price difference from the 1 oz cups isn't large enough for me to do them so my customers get more for their money with the 2 oz.

Congrats on the show!

The presto pot I have, I can get about 6 lbs in it. I bought it at walmart 3 years ago.

I have a turkey roaster for times when I'm making a ton. It holds about 20 lbs.

I think I may be that "buddy" who uses the same cups as Karen and yes, while the wax she uses in her cups weighs 1.4 oz, mine weighs 1.8. I don't know why that is. lol. I haven't used a 1 z container but I'm assuming it wouldn't be 1 oz, it would be more like .8 as someone stated above

I use the 2 oz cups because the price difference from the 1 oz cups isn't large enough for me to do them so my customers get more for their money with the 2 oz.

Quick question on that- do the 2 ounce when melted in a warmer fit well enough to not spill over or get to the very rim of the warmer? The ones I had made in metal scalloped molds were 1 ounce and I don't think another ounce would fit in any of my warmers- just curious as I have been playing with the idea of doing the cups now over the clams because now I am hearing people don't want that much of 1 scent! I swear I can't win but the individual ones are a PIA to package and label! Edited by moonshine

Yeah, you are that buddy. Dude, I did not want to point out publicly that your wax looks fat! haha!

I did a little experiment with water, sugar and also protein powder. All filled as full as I fill my cups. Each weighed something different, of course.

Volume and weight are tricky little guys!

I have been asked to also carry 1 ounce cups. I am not planning on it at least for now. Double cup inventory, double label inventory and files. My wax is easily cut with just a table knife so customers who do not want to pitch in the whole cup slice them up as needed to fit their warmer or scent strength taste.

There's plenty of room in the warmer I have for the 2 oz, there's room for probably another oz or so.    I have several local customers who tell me that they still break them up to use them.  Especially if they have the smaller ones.

In business, it's hard to please everyone.    Though for me, the portion cups aren't any more difficult to package than the clamshells.  I did both when I first started 3 years ago.  I sold both fairly well and I still get requests for the clamshells.  So I might add them back.

Hahaha Karen! I won't pass it on to my wax that you think it's fat!  Maybe it's all those foodie scents!  Oh man, that was funny.

I haven't had requests for the 1 oz, just the clamshells.  I think because the clamshells are broken into 1 oz pieces that are small enough.  I seriously need a bigger house, my supplies seem to double every night.

Thanks so much everyone! I currently make clamshells but they're not my favorite. I'm not sure why.. Ellipso melts are just so cute too me, I really want to start making them.

Hearing that the newer presto pots may not be that big, i'm starting to double think buying one. I found the exact turkey fryer on craigslist that someone posted on here. I'm so tempted to get it because i'm sick of making all these dinky batches. But the darn thing is so big i'm almost too intimidated!