What keeps you motivated?

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

Throughout my career in retail, goal setting has always been important. Daily goals, weekly goals, monthly, quarterly, and yearly. It keeps you focused, and if you are focused on the results you want you are more likely to reach them.

I find that I can barely function in my business without very clear goals. Even if my goals have to change because of 'LIFE' I stll have to know what my next big project is, keep making progress, or I feel like a fish out of water - just sort of flopping around.

Goodness knows we have plenty of obstacles. What do you do to keep yourself going? What are your personal incentives?

Me too I have to have a plan of action. It like I totally stall out without one. Sometimes that is not enough to keep me pushing forward especially when a setback happens. When that happen I take a step back and look at what others are doing then I can reorganize and push forward again. It just seems to help seeing others are pushing forward also. I think we have to be adaptable in our goals. My big fault is setting unrealistic goals then be disappointed when I do not reach it. I try very hard not to do that anymore.

To be honest, not so much at the moment. Probably it is only the bills that need to be paid. I have struggeled before with it all as you might remember, and then about 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with cardiac arrhythmia (I've experienced problems with my heart before, palpitation, feeling it pound up to my head etc. but then suddenly it seemed to explode, I could feel it rush all day and couldn't sleep anymore because it was beating that irregularly) and a gastritis, both of which have announced their arrival months ago. It was the culmination of all my worries, my illness, my problems of the past years. I was terrified and just stopped. From this day on I have taken care of myself, I do my meditation every day and this is what helps me the most, I can control my thoughts, my heartbeat, my breathing and best of all: I'm not anxious anymore. My problems haven't disappeared, far from it, but my perspective has changed, it is all relative now. it really is.

I have reduced my business hours to 2 days per week (there are almost no sales anyway at the moment) so I have more time to get healthy again, do more sports (I really need to lose weight (my laboratory values are scary and I need to fix that), get my house clean and tidy and cozy again (something that wasn't so much the case for a long time, I just couldn't handle it all due to my anxiety and depression), trying to get my garden ready (I love gardening, my chicken, my bees....that is what I want to do, in fact. Maybe someday I find a way to make some money with it) in order to get as much vegetables and fruit as possible so we don't need to buy them.

So, I have to add: my motivation is to get healthy and happy again, but this has nothing to do with my business.

I wish you a very happy Easter!