What plastics can and cannot be used with EO's

Guest OldGlory

I think that is something you'd have to ask the suppliers of your various types of equipment. Most of us probably buy EOs and use them rather than transfer them to other vessels.

And I think the question then becomes how much time the EO is in contact with the various materials, and if the contact is constant (and therefore breaking down matierals constantly).

HTH!

• 1 month later...

HDPE is the only plastic that even harsh acids cannot penetrate (take a look at the bottom of your bleach bottles or cleaning supplies). From my studies this is the only plastic that, with time, will not deteriorate. Other plastics, with time, will slowly deteriorate the plastic causing the particles in the to leech into your formulation. HTH! :)

Oh, I forgot to mention PET or PETE can be used as well. So pretty much avoid anything that isn't PET, PETE, or HDPE, but never STORE EO's in them undiluted. Websites just state that those plastics are safe for diluted storage, but not undiluted storage. There isn't anything definitive for undiluted passage (ie: passing through a tube, etc) of EO's in those plastics, but I imagine that since the EO's aren't sitting there for months on end that it should be relatively safe. You may need to change out whatever tubing or filters you're using after some time. Just pay attention to the quality of the plastic before each use, rinse them with soap and water when done, and if they're starting to feel gummy or gritty, change them out. HTH!

Edited by PassionSunKiss

Oh yeah! And be sure to assign each EO to their own plastics. These plastics do have a tendency to absorb the scents they are used with and you wouldn't want to mix the scents or contaminate the parent EO bottles. LOL sorry for all the posts!

Edited by PassionSunKiss

• 4 weeks later...