Cut and Curl as a business

I have been visiting here for a few months, have learned a lot from you all just by reading, and really enjoy the posts - you all love your craft,aren't afraid to help others,  and it shows!  I have noticed that there are not too many candle carvers on here, though.  I was wondering if there was any specific reason, or maybe not?  Also, has anyone tried carving candles as a business, and if so, how was it?  We have our first show this weekend, and hope to start building relationships.  Thank all of you for the learning opportunities!

One of our older members, Bruce Carves Wax, has made a great business with carved candles.  He's a busy man and just doesn't get the chance to post anymore.  Other than Bruce, I personally don't know of any long term carvers on here.  I think there are a few newer carvers around and hopefull someone will jump in to help. 

Another person who got into carving candles is Nancy, but she doesn't post here either any more. She had some changes happen and sort of went away from candle making. 

You can find Bruce on FB though. 

Your question with the problems you were having on another post, have you tried talking to your wax supplier? I ask, because the guys I deal with have been quite helpful when I've had questions (though not candle carving granted, but someone should know.) 

Wish I could help you out, but while I have a great interest in these, I don't do them because I don''t have the space for the set up. I do, however, own a candle carving book that I wish I could put my hands on to see if it even addresses the question, but apparently I've hidden it from myself. 

• 2 weeks later...

I carve, but have found that unless it's something unique like my lighthouse carvings, people just do not buy them. The traditional unity type candles? They ooh and aah over them, but 99 times out of 100 will walk away empty handed. 

Now my lighthouse carvings? I cannot keep those on the shelves! Anytime I offer them at shows or online, they sell out almost immediately, but I only turn my vats on occasionally, and only in the summer, so don't offer them often.

Interesting.  So the generic carve is so generic that folks feel like they will not be congratulated for a good find?  Peer pressure?  Something unique, on the other hand, gets the interest?

That has been my experience, yes. When doing the traditional carvings, I would hear a lot of people saying how nice they would be for weddings, baptisms, etc., - even though I had them done in various colors, shapes, etc, so I don't know if most people just associate them with a certain theme, or what the deal is, but my Lighthouse and Christmas Tree carvings, when I have them and offer them, sell out and sell fast every time. :) 

Do your candles burn down like a pillar or do they have an oil chamber or tealight holder in the top?

I've made both the kind that burn like a pillar (however, they did not burn very well since I use pigments for coloring) and the oil chamber using liquid paraffin. I prefer the oil chamber much better. I don't think most customers have a preference because almost everybody I know that has gotten one hasn't (or said they weren't going to) burn it. LOL 

But yeah, in my tests, the oil chamber ones beat the none oil chamber one hands down. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.  I figured that folks who bought cut/curl would not want to destroy the candle so having a tealight holder at the top or oil chamber would be more appropriate. 

Besides, the testing process would be a bit heartbreaking methinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Good reads...thanks for the replies.  We did our first show, and the wife had about 35-40 traditional carved, while I had around 15 lighthouses.  the only interest was in the Easter bunny carvings.  I did sell six lighthouses to one fellow at a yard sale of all places. 

forgot to add...we screwed up quite a few when first starting; I bought a presto pot and melted all of these down (consistent ugly bland color!).  I added some tarts we had lying around, some wood chips, and cupcake paper and we have a nice collection of fire starters now.  Those did garner interest!

• 3 years later...

I know this post is a couple years old, but I thought I would respond anyway. I am just getting started and I have a big interest in cut and curl candles. I have slowly been buying supplies and learning everything I can over the past 2 months or so. I'm guessing AS A BUSINESS  probably the hardest part with cut and curl is they can't really be mass-produced like other candles. The extra time and labor involved makes it kind of tough. True, you can charge more for this, but then the challenge becomes finding people who are willing to pay for that extra time involved. I'm sure if cut and curl candles could be mass-produced, Yankee would have flooded the market with them years ago.

I would guess the more generic type carved candles would be tough to sell in the quantities you would need to make a viable business. My guess is that if you can somehow personalize the candles, they would do much better. Maybe such as making candles for a school fundraiser in the schools colors, or memorial type candles with embedded photos. And also probably candles cut and curled to specific holiday themes at the right time of year. I am working on a few ideas, but I wouldn't want to put a timetable on anyting since this has been a slow process for me. But I think that you really need to go for a very targeted market, and the more timely you can make your candles, the better. Personalization is probably a big key with these type candles.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Geodon99 .. I have no clue how to even attempt cut and curls, but I think u are right about the targeted market. I especially like the idea of school fundraising, but it would still have to be profitable for both you AND the school or organization, PLUS still be affordable for the customers.

Personally, having 4 kids, plus countless neices, nephews, ect in school fundraising AT THE SAME TIME, is such a PITA, and SO expensive even for the cheapest item, its hard to support them all. The only other alternative that the schools have here are to sell dollar chocolates.. but lets face it, a person can only eat so much crappy chocolates 😂..

I do know that the one and only time one of my neices sold container soy candles, their school exceeded their goal by a thousand bucks 😁 SOOO.... I think it would be an amazing idea 😁

• Like 1